Sponsored Links Spacer Image

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    4/25/2007 6:26am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is no choice. Go train with Megaton and don't look back.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    4/25/2007 10:42am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've trained at Gustavo's. He's an excellent instructor - the most laid back I've seen, even for a Brazilian. Top notch competition. Good mix of belts - you will not blow through your rank there in rolling. He's friends with Megaton and their 2 schools always are 1 and 2 in local competitions, it trades off who's on top.

The other draw to his school is it's also a top notch MMA facility - the standup instructors are the Lallys - Mo Smith protoges. There's a ring and tons of mat space. There's good pro and amateur fighters training there too. Joe Riggs came out of there, Jamie Varner, Drew Fickett trains there at times (lives in Tucson).

It's a little too far for striderdx - but anyone who lives farther south / east part of Phx it's a great school. Gustavo is a few miles east of ASU in Tempe.
    Last edited by chingythingy; 4/25/2007 11:15am at .

Posted On:
    4/25/2007 10:45am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asia the Invincible
    There is no choice. Go train with Megaton and don't look back.
    Your a day too late, took my first class yesterday and I'm hurting... heh.

Glad I came here for the recommendation, I got exactly what I wanted there. 25 minute drive from where I live but I'd rather go a little farther/pay a little more than save a buck for a joke of a class closer to home.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/25/2007 4:58pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's also Laurita BJJ on 19th ave and union hills. That's where I train. I really need to do up a review.

Posted On:
    4/25/2007 5:49pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Subparr
    There's also Laurita BJJ on 19th ave and union hills. That's where I train. I really need to do up a review.
    That was actually the first place I had looked into because its only like 3 miles from my house. I was apprehensive with what I saw online and it seemed more laid back/less intense than what I was looking for, however I could be completely wrong... So far I have heard nothing but good things about this place and after being able to stick it out the first day, I think I will stick with my first choice.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/25/2007 6:07pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate the website. I can see how it would lead you to believe that. We work very hard for sure, but Megaton's place is awesome too. Good luck and I will see you at the tournaments. :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2007 6:14pm

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No offense to Jerry who's been around forever, he produces some good guys, but he doesn't have the same credentials in competition or among his peers that Megaton does. Megaton has always been a black belt since he opened up shop. You can only say the same about Gustavo, and no other BJJ instructor in the state. They are the 2 most legit black belt instructors in the entire state. I've never trained with Gustavo or at his gym, but heard good things. He has a solid reputation.

Anything he tells you BJJ wise, listen. I remember thinking I was hot stuff for passing Megaton's guard once. That was the only time that ever happened in 2 years. Rest of the time was spent playing cat and mouse in his half guard until he'd pull something on me that I wouldn't even see coming. Also Megaton was a champion judoka in Brazil, and his throwing skills are superb. Fortunately I've been doing judo since I was a kid, but he really knows how to grind someone down in neutral. I'd love to get back in and take another shot rolling against him, he was the only guy who ever made me feel like a fish out of water on the mat.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/25/2007 6:21pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I honestly wasn't aware Jerry wasn't a black belt when he opened his school. Interesting, but I'd definitely call a first degree from Joe Moreira legit. I'm not downing on Gustavo or Megaton either. I've rolled against their guys and they are awesome.

I think I may head down there for a few classes to compare. We can speculate all we want, but until we actually train at multiple places, we cannot pass judgement.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2007 12:01am

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jerry got his in 2001 or 2002. I know he got it because he was feeling pressure from Gustavo and Megaton and that other guy who promoted himself to black belt. What was his nickname, "The Dumpster"?...haha. I've been around that guy, and he's a hustler plain and simple. He'd try to sell you your own wallet if he could.

Never had a problem with Jerry though, but I did find it strange he got his black belt rapidly to keep up with his competitors. I'm sure that he is a black belt level instructor however, but back then it was all about staying up with the competition. Now there's some other guy who's a black belt too, and everybody argues he self promoted, and it's become a big mess. This is the reason I quit associating myself with BJJ in Phoenix. I saw what was going to happen and got out. But if you want the best, go to Megaton, because he is the best. Period. Anyone who knows their stuff will tell you that.

Posted On:
    4/26/2007 10:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by International W
    Jerry got his in 2001 or 2002. I know he got it because he was feeling pressure from Gustavo and Megaton and that other guy who promoted himself to black belt. What was his nickname, "The Dumpster"?...haha. I've been around that guy, and he's a hustler plain and simple. He'd try to sell you your own wallet if he could.
    That would be Roland Sarria. He's the promoter for RITC - Rage In the Cage local shows there. You're pretty much on the money with your description. Word on the street is he's a self promoted BB. He's got people under him he's promoted to brown, too. Actually, whenever DuckofDeath gets bored shaking Robson Pereira around like a dog toy, Roland would make a great target for BJJ bullshido investigation.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast