Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/24/2007 6:31pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ in Phoenix/Glendale AZ?

Hi, I'm new to these boards as far as posting is concerened, and after scanning through the review section I was unable to locate any information on any classes here in Arizona, namely Phoenix/Glendale. Anyone know of any decent places for someone getting started in a serious BJJ program?

Posted On:
    4/24/2007 6:49pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The top 2 BJJ training places in the greater Phoenix area are Gustavo Dantas at www.gdjiujitsu.com and Wellington "Megaton" Diaz at www.teammegaton.net

You will progress faster at either of those two places than anywhere else around.

Posted On:
    4/24/2007 7:07pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, was hoping there would be something a little closer to glendale/north phoenix but Team Megaton is not that far out of the way... would prolly be better to drive a little farther than go to a crap gym that is closer to my house.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/24/2007 7:13pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know about the whole anonymous thing but are you Glendale or Phoenix? There is a huge difference.

Tempe is to far from Glendale. 32nd street in phoenix may not be that bad unless, you live in the avenues.

Posted On:
    4/24/2007 7:59pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Megaton is up by Highway 51 and Shea. It's a little Northeast of Glendale, but a 20 min drive is worth it. He's got a good blend of advanced belts, his school competes regularly, and he's an excellent instructor.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/24/2007 8:08pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not disagreeing but, North Phoenix is far depending on where he lives. 45 minutes to an hour is only for someone dead serious about training, the way gas prices are right now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2007 10:34pm

Style: BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been to Megatons a couple of times.
    He's got a great mix of people. A lot of high ranking students, and he's a cool guy to boot.

I regret he didn't have time to fit me in for a private lesson, but If I lived there I'd train there regularly.

Gustavo Dantas is good too if Megaton is too far. Although I've never been to his school or met him.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/24/2007 10:43pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bustardo
    I've been to Megatons a couple of times.
    He's got a great mix of people. A lot of high ranking students, and he's a cool guy to boot.

I regret he didn't have time to fit me in for a private lesson, but If I lived there I'd train there regularly.

Gustavo Dantas is good too if Megaton is too far. Although I've never been to his school or met him.
    Tempe is even farther if he thinks megaton is to far.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2007 11:15pm

Style: BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, I don't know the layout all that much. I was in Tempe and drove to Megaton's.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2007 2:59am

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained with Megaton years ago after I moved back to Arizona from college. You will not find a better BJJ instructor in Phoenix than him. Sorry to anyone else who teaches, but Megaton is a very legitimate all around grappler. His wife is also a very good instructor as well.

I remember when they were in west/central Phoenix years ago, wasn't aware they moved. When I get a chance maybe I'll come in. I remember that a lot of guys from back when I was around went on to do some great things. The only problem I had was that there wasn't a lot of time spent without the gi. But training with the gi like that forces you to be more teachnical, and when you go without it, you find yourself being more explosive since you don't have that same restrictivness the gi has.

If you want to do more no gi, contact a guy named Jeff Funicello who teaches no gi all the time. He was one of the guys who got me into the game, met him while I was training at the OTC in Colorado Springs prior to the 96 Olympic trials. I don't know his website or email, but if you do a search for ASU Pankration, that's him. He teaches classes in the west valley somewhere apparently too.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast