222455 Bullies, 4436 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 51 to 60 of 1867
Page 6 of 187 FirstFirst ... 23456 789101656106 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Dsimon3387 is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    3,079

    Posted On:
    4/25/2007 1:03am

    Join us... or die
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bildungsroman
    This is one of those baiting questions that no one wants to answer in the affirmative because they're afraid of being judged by the herd. I don't think they should literally forget about it, but I think they should stop practicing it, not because they want to avoid upsetting Bujinkan purists, but because I see little practical value to the training itself.



    I'm not sure what that's supposed to indicate. I imagine that you're trying to encourage us to entertain the possibility that there are other perspectives regarding Bujinkan training, but I am very much aware of that. What I object to is the notion that both perspectives are equally valid. I have come to the conclusion that the Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu training provided to most members is not practical for fighting. There are of course exceptions, but there are always exceptions.
    I respect your sense of certainty you have made up your mind about a certain type of training. But some of us still see a lot of value in practicing Booj stuff to various degrees and the issue is not whether somoene sees the training as effective or not... an issue that has been beaten to death many times over. The issue is whether one can, under certain conditions, claim to still practice Bujinkan or not if the techniques are part of your training. I say somoene who has been training a while has the right to call that Bujinkan training if they so desire.

    I am definitely not trying to get anyone to entertain any particular notion of whether the training is effective or not. First of all it is a complicated issue. Lets leave it at that. Its not that I don't care about your opinion of the Buj, rather I don't think this thread is about the effectiveness of the Buj. It is about a guy who spent a lot of time in the organization, like a lot of people I know, and who was castigated for doing his own thing... as a mature well rounded (no pun intended) martial artist who is regarded affectionately by his students and who has a right to not be called Bullsido IMO.
  2. Dsimon3387 is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    3,079

    Posted On:
    4/25/2007 1:08am

    Join us... or die
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Okay, I was pretty sure you were having a problem with the BBJ insults not questions wanted to make sure.

    I agree trashing the BBJ, although not questions, are for another thread.

    Those are statements, so there are no questions or are there?
    Sounds right to me. Insults to the Booj are for the Booj to answer IMO.
  3. Bildungsroman is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    14

    Posted On:
    4/25/2007 5:51am

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can agree with that, but I don't think you can separate the man from his former art. If you're like me, and you consider the Bujinkan Bullshido, then it's not that big of a stretch to view Severe as Bullshido.
  4. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,803

    Posted On:
    4/25/2007 7:34am

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bildungsroman
    I can agree with that, but I don't think you can separate the man from his former art. If you're like me, and you consider the Bujinkan Bullshido, then it's not that big of a stretch to view Severe as Bullshido.
    In this forum, that is what you have to do. State facts and leave insults at a minimum.

    His BBJ training is legit whether he is with the org any longer or not.
    Next question is how legit are his 40+ other arts?

    Are they Seminars?
    Are they Complete arts?
    Are they video Courses?
    How many years in said art etc etc etc.
  5. Bildungsroman is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    14

    Posted On:
    4/25/2007 8:56am

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    In this forum, that is what you have to do. State facts and leave insults at a minimum.

    His BBJ training is legit whether he is with the org any longer or not.
    Next question is how legit are his 40+ other arts?

    Are they Seminars?
    Are they Complete arts?
    Are they video Courses?
    How many years in said art etc etc etc.
    The only insult I made is saying that I think Severe is crazy. Does referring to him as mentally ill get me off the hook? :) Either way, I have kept insults to a minimum. If my unabashedly harsh criticsm of the Bujinkan is being interpreted as insulting, that's not really my problem. The form that my discourse takes is no more insulting than what one would expect in academia. Replace the Bujinkan with Intelligent Design and you'll get the idea. I take your point though, we do need more facts than anecdotes.
  6. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,803

    Posted On:
    4/25/2007 9:04am

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bildungsroman
    The only insult I made is saying that I think Severe is crazy. Does referring to him as mentally ill get me off the hook? :) Either way, I have kept insults to a minimum. If my unabashedly harsh criticsm of the Bujinkan is being interpreted as insulting, that's not really my problem. The form that my discourse takes is no more insulting than what one would expect in academia. Replace the Bujinkan with Intelligent Design and you'll get the idea. I take your point though, we do need more facts than anecdotes.
    No you are missing the point. This isn't a thread about the booj, it is about Ralph Severe's rank legitimacy and coaching. It is a thread about a specific instructor.

    We have multiple threads on the legitimacy, or lack thereof, of Booj techniques.

    MABS is being moderated with a tighter fist. So, insulting the techniques needs to go to YMAS(Your Martial Art Sucks) or the Japanese Style forum.

    Not here.
  7. Bildungsroman is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    14

    Posted On:
    4/25/2007 9:28am

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, so what you're saying is that Ralph's association with the Bujinkan, regardless of whether or not it's Bullshido is irrelevant. And the consensus seems to be that how Ralph fits within the Bujinkan mold is also irrelevant. Unfortunately, there seems to be very little information regarding the other martial arts that he has practiced, and the only criticism that I've seen regarding his training comes from Bujinkan members who frown upon the creative license he has taken with taijutsu. Unless someone comes up with something new, there doesn't seem to much else that can be said.
  8. Grandnat is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texa$
    Posts
    153

    Posted On:
    4/25/2007 9:44am


     Style: BJJ, wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My knee jerk reaction has always been to call Ralph bullshido, but the facts just don't support it.

    The man cross trains insatiably. He even trained with Carlos Machado back in the day when he first came to Dallas. He has no negative prejudices in martial arts and believes in what works. To test what works he has his students do school challenges. He used to have fight nights frequently, although I do not know if he still does them.


    Bottom line. I am no ninjer apologist... infact I dispise them with the fury of a scorned pirate, however, I cannot force myself to hate on Ralph too much because although probably a little "off" the man sees the value in actually testing his students skills against other schools.

    and that is the true "litmus test" of bullshido to me.
  9. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,803

    Posted On:
    4/25/2007 9:47am

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bildungsroman
    Okay, so what you're saying is that Ralph's association with the Bujinkan, regardless of whether or not it's Bullshido is irrelevant. And the consensus seems to be that how Ralph fits within the Bujinkan mold is also irrelevant.
    In the context of this MABS thread yes.

    The OP said he was bullshido based on specific criteria.
    1) A wrong my space page. (Which isn't 100% confirmed.)
    2) Modified Taijutsu.
    3) 40+ Styles of different Martial Arts. Of which he only claims a BB in Seven.
    4) Claims on another website that may or may not be Ralph's.

    Notice no one has investigated anything except, that he was Booj. So, whether modified or not, he can teach Taijutsu.

    Yet, the investigations isn't done.

    No one has reported on the 6-7 BB.
    No one has confirmed the legitimacy of the two websites in question.
    No one has emailed or called Ralph Severe to get a response.
    No one has checked into the multiple style claims.
    No one has checked whether he taught seminars or actually taught the FBI(this is a quite common misrepresentation.)

    Now, what may have happened is ASIA came in and laid the smack down. Asia has many many contacts so, him saying the guy isn't bullshido probably stopped any investigation.
  10. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,803

    Posted On:
    4/25/2007 9:49am

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We also have three posters saying he trains alive. That is less bullshido than most larping schools with legit histories.
Page 6 of 187 FirstFirst ... 23456 789101656106 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.