Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    4/24/2007 6:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsimon3387
    the person questioning ralph's credability.
    Severe clearly has the rank to teach, as I understand is the system in Bujinkan, pretty much whatever the **** he likes. In order to question his credibility by quoting Hatsumi complementing him, nice move by the way, you'd have to bring into question the validity of that ranking system, in which case who cares what the man who handed out the rank thinks.

A more interesting question than attempting to interpret the gnomic sayings of an elderly con-artist, who are Severe's fighters, and how do they do?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/24/2007 6:27pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    who are Severe's fighters, and how do they do?
    As much as I don't like this kind of question (it implies that efficacy comes form competition), I feel compelled to ask it as well. When someone leaves a martial art that lacks credibility (Bujinkan), and makes claims regarding mastery, frequently spreading his "wisdom" in public arenas, it seems acceptable to ask him to provide evidence. Having fighters in competition is one of the easiest ways to do that outside of visiting his school. Are we wrong here?

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    4/24/2007 6:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No. So, where are they?

(besides YouTube)

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    4/24/2007 6:40pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bildungsroman
    As much as I don't like this kind of question (it implies that efficacy comes form competition), I feel compelled to ask it as well. When someone leaves a martial art that lacks credibility (Bujinkan), and makes claims regarding mastery, frequently spreading his "wisdom" in public arenas, it seems acceptable to ask him to provide evidence. Having fighters in competition is one of the easiest ways to do that outside of visiting his school. Are we wrong here?
    Also, if the Bujinkan lacks credibility in many people's eyes, then why would someone, for all intents and purposes, leave the art and yet continue to wave the "Ninjutsu" banner. Does he truly believe that he represents Hatsumi, when according to Hatsumi there is no way that he possibly could, or is it simply a mechanism of capitalism? Just simple marketing? Does a capable fighter somehow lack credibility because of these behaviors?

Posted On:
    4/24/2007 6:57pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude
    Does he truly believe that he represents Hatsumi, when according to Hatsumi there is no way that he possibly could
    Whether or not Hatsumi endorses him is entirely beside the point. He, at one point, ranked the man high enough to open a school. Any subsequent ninja drama that may or may not have occurred doesn't change that. Unless of course the ability to fight flows like grace from Hatsumi's infinite compassion.

Back on planet Earth, it's reasonably obvious that Bujinkan rank is anyway meaningless as relates to actual fighting skills. So more interesting questions regard his certification in arts that mean anything, and the records of his fighters.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    4/24/2007 7:02pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whether or not Hatsumi endorses him is entirely beside the point. He, at one point, ranked the man high enough to open a school. Any subsequent ninja drama that may or may not have occurred doesn't change that. Unless of course the ability to fight flows like grace from Hatsumi's infinite compassion.
    Heh. I would say no.

I've personally heard Hatsumi say that if you have a problem with someone's rank, then call them on it. I have never heard of anyone doing it, however. I think that that would be revolutionary to the Booj, tho.

Back on planet Earth, it's reasonably obvious that Bujinkan rank is anyway meaningless as relates to actual fighting skills. So more interesting questions regard his certification in arts that mean anything, and the records of his fighters.
    What do you mean by this?
    (The last line)
    Last edited by Jim_Jude; 4/24/2007 7:39pm at .

Posted On:
    4/24/2007 8:11pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Severe clearly has the rank to teach, as I understand is the system in Bujinkan, pretty much whatever the **** he likes. In order to question his credibility by quoting Hatsumi complementing him, nice move by the way, you'd have to bring into question the validity of that ranking system, in which case who cares what the man who handed out the rank thinks.

A more interesting question than attempting to interpret the gnomic sayings of an elderly con-artist, who are Severe's fighters, and how do they do?
    In due time Pointy shin, but just not under the rubric of whether the guy is a fraud. He teaches what he claims and is not falsifying rank.

The other questions belong in another thread. And you know what I am willing to bet that if you asked Ralph these questions he would give you a straight answer.

I can only speak for myself when I say, as somoene with much less time and energy invested in the Buj, that a lot of guys have an ambivalent relationship to the organization. I was a card carrying member for about just over ten years, nowhere as long as some of the early guys like Ralph.

Posted On:
    4/24/2007 8:20pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you mean by this?
    (The last line)
    Has he got certifications that, unlike the Bujinkan one, have value as proof of his fighting or coaching ability? Does he have fighters that kick arse in full contact venues, and thus prove his ability as a coach?

Posted On:
    4/24/2007 8:21pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, if the Bujinkan lacks credibility in many people's eyes, then why would someone, for all intents and purposes, leave the art and yet continue to wave the "Ninjutsu" banner. Does he truly believe that he represents Hatsumi, when according to Hatsumi there is no way that he possibly could, or is it simply a mechanism of capitalism? Just simple marketing? Does a capable fighter somehow lack credibility because of these behaviors?
    First off Ralph has said that the MYSpace is not his. So that should go out the window.

What exactly do you expect people who have trained for many years in an art to do? Just forget they trained in it? I can't speak for Ralph but I trained in the Bujinkan regularly for over ten years and I like to work with the material I learned in the Buj with my students. Yeah I modify it considerably but it comes from the Bujinkan. Should I say otherwise because I am no longer a member? Ninjutsu is part of my approach, so yeah I wave the banner a bit myself. And keep in mind that Ralph was around a lot longer than me and most of the whiners who are threatened by someone expressing their individuality in the Buj.

I won't go into Hatsumi's ambivalent opinion of this process... suffice to say it is more the anal retentive types that claim to speak for him that have the problem with this relationship to the material.

And the Bujinkan lacks credability in some circles and has a lot of credability in other circles JJ, you get a somewhat skewered perspective on this board. Just like the people who refuse to believe the Bujinkan does not have guys who can fight.

Posted On:
    4/24/2007 8:26pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsimon3387
    And the Bujinkan lacks credability in some circles and has a lot of credability in other circles JJ, you get a somewhat skewered perspective on this board. Just like the people who refuse to believe the Bujinkan does not have guys who can fight.
    Double negative, skippy.

The Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors has guys that can fight. The hive mind opinion on this board would be that there's no strong causal link between Bujinkan rank and fighting ability.