Page 17 of 187 FirstFirst ... 71314151617 181920212767117 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2010 2:47pm

Style: Itinerant Wanderer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Found an excellent image of the way to hold a quarterstaff.

Posted On:
    1/28/2010 3:29pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muerteds View Post
    Thank you. You answered one of my concerns specifically, and you were to the point about it.

The rest of your post kind of maunders about, and I'm not sure where you were going with it, unless you were confused about my terminology of "quarterstaff" and "halfstaff". They are English terms for two staff weapons that are very similar to the rokushakubo. The quarterstaff, however, was a bit longer than the 'bo- roughly your height to where your upstretched hand can reach. The halfstaff was your own height. The names for both come from where you hold the staff. A quarterstaff is held near the end of the staff, and then about a quarter of the way up the staff with your other hand. A little more than one-half the length of the staff was held forward as the primary striking end. A halfstaff is held with half the length of the staff between your hands, equal lengths of the staff being at both ends.

In any case, suffice to say that I am happy that at least one of the techniques I saw in the video has a purpose, although it's obvious it wasn't executed in the right instance. Now if we can address the bad footwork and lack of pointing the business end of the weapon at the opponents or the lack of counterattack by the opponents, I feel we'll be getting somewhere. We can also go over the over-emphasis on powder in the eyes vs. emphasis on proper counter-attack with the sword.

Mr. Severe, feel free to jump in any time here.

*Edit* to better explain a quarterstaff grip.
    I was in the post as a whole trying to give you a context for Bugai based Japanese staff work. I did this because, if you do not know the context the work can look positively retarded. I am familiar with the European measures and understanding of the staff which is also why I wanted to provide a context.

An Englishman (like Quenton Chambers when he first saw Kukishin stuff from Hatsumi no doubt) would perhaps wonder at some of the two handed approaches to staff work in Japanese battlefield arts. Against a katana weilding opponent these techniques become quite logical. These approaches do things like put the hands together at times at the point when the stick hits... why? because this creates distance against a bladed weapon. In the Booj for example, many strikes wind up with both hands practicially together. As said, Japanese Bo work also has one handed stuff as well. Why? well among other reasons the same distancing strategies used against a swordsman can bare bitter fruit against a tanto. In one of the primary Kukishin katas, for example, you change up from a two handed grip to a one handed grip in transition.

I would say that mr Severe definitely does things with the weapons that are subject to opinion... my opinion here not being essential to this dialogue, but his work follows the form of Kukishin in many fundamental respects:

a) the six foot staff position held high and over the head, the jumping back from the sword weilder... the way the swordsman blocks the attack, and the methods of striking from what used to be called :baseball golf race car driving... Bujinkanners from the past will know what I speak of haha.

Mr Severe tends to enjoy the free flow of these movements so one has to know the katas to know what he is doing. Hence without commenting on the ability of mr Severe.. he is quite within reason to ask people if they understand japanese arts when asking about pecularities vis a vis idiocycracies in the stickwork.
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    1/28/2010 4:24pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kamiyamashinobi View Post
    You, being the reader, might have some interest in what the pages state. On the other hand I might not have any interest what so ever in what they state.
    If you feel I am claiming ‘I am this or that’ and you disagree ‘I am totally ok with your findings and well I should be’. It doesn’t interest me that you have opinions and well you should have opinions and maybe a liberated thinker.
    I am in no way saying that what you claim is wrong or bad or negative in any way. I am also in no way questioning your experience or past training. I am only address the inconsistency in your statements which is not a matter of personal opinion but rather what you have written.

You say that you are not a business man and not interested in the money. That is something I can understand: you train to train and nothing more. To do something you love for a living is a great thing.

But, you have used this stance to avoid questions regarding the ranks attained in past training. In reality, this would be a reasonable thing to do IF you didn't provide a point-by-point list of past training in order to tell others about your experience.

But the inconsistency is that you say do not concern yourself with rank nor do you care what other people think of you yet this list of past ranks exists on your site.

Why don't you just take down that list and let your current training and results speak for themselves?

Posted On:
    1/28/2010 8:10pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by superninjagod View Post
    I originally was taught this part of the technique as a Naginata technique. As an actual attack with the blade. Regardless, you are putting the butt end of the stick on the floor, so even if you still had a grip, if the opponent stood on the staff, you would not be able to lift the stick again. Hence it is stupid. Which signifies most of the Ninjutsu techniques.

Yeah no. I'm sorry, you have to stop right there. As a reformed Boojer. I can tell you that Boojers will try to tell you that you should be able to do all things with all weapons as long as you use similar foot work. This is just a stupid idea, and not practical or desirable. This type of thought can only originate from people who don't train with resistance. In the above circumstance, if this tech is being done on the swordsmans draw, that means that by the time the stick hit his foot, he already has his 4 foot sword out. Now lets look at this situation. You are kneeling infront of a man with a 4 foot sword, with your head beside the sword. And you just bruised his toe with a hanbo. (you wont be breaking his toe with that technique) Your next move is to hit him in the ankle with your 3 foot staff??? Are you fucked?? Again, you never trained this tech against resistance. Its not you, ASSHatsumi couldn't pull it off in his prime either. The technique is just ridiculous

Not very well mind you. Clearly a 3 foot staff and a 6+foot staff move and behave differently in a fight. One has length advantage. And one has speed advantage. Why would you want to wield them the same?

This is what weapon masters tell their students when they run out of cool **** to teach them. "Do the same tech with a different weapon". Are you trying to tell me that a one handed sword should be wielded like a 2 handed stick? I hope not. Every weapon has certain advantages and short comings. In any fight you want to maximize your advantages, and minimize your short comings. This type of thinking where everything is the same is a waste of time, and leads to BS techniques like grappling with weapons.....eeechhkkk

Two reasons why it does not look the way it should.

1) He is very overweight in the video which makes everything he does look clumsy and off balanced when really he naturally has a waddle gait due to his size

2) It does not look like it should cause HE IS DROPPING THE STICK ON THE GROUND instead of wielding it with two hands near the base and smacking the sword wielder in the head with it repeatedly
    wow wow wow!! back the truck up.... don't mischaracterize my statement. Maybe I should have clarified... but lets nip this in the bud... there is similar footwork and body work however there are significant modifications that have to be in effect as well.

A) the Tai Sabaki changes with the weapon. different lengths = different angles that develop, are useful, are subject to attack.

b) There are idiocycracies: when using rope weapons the movements ususally have to be bigger to accomidate the whipsaw effect of the weapon as it comes back to one. The distance allows one to move with bigger movements unless grappling with the weapon.

c) In the instance of bo work there are so many techniques just in the Kukishin that there are: 1) techniques that are useful with both weapons
    2) techniques that are one handed and belong to hanbo therefore
    3) techniques for each individual weapon.

With bladed weapons much of the same applies. Drawing all weapons, from a gun to a knife to a folded have common elements and footwork, this does not mean distinctions do not exist.

Hopefully we cleared that little miscommunication up now I will read your post in peace... and no in the booj that technique is not done with a naginata... I have seldom seen any naginata work in the Booj.
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2010 11:30pm

Style: Japanese Russian American

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    uncle skippy, "Why don't you just take down that list and let your current training and results speak for themselves"?
    Thank you for your opinion which means little to nothing to me personally and your disrespectful statements are meaningless and have nothing to do with what I know, can do or have done.
    The answer to your Q is because I just don't care what you think about what is on my web site or not. It really doesn't concern you unless you are a close friend of mine and I care to share information with you regarding my personal history.

Thank you,
    Ralph

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2010 11:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rafael,
    Thank you for your opinion on my web site. Your opinion is I am lying. How so? You are more than welcome to state where I have lied on my web site. If you have no proof of any lies then I would like an apology for your rude and unfounded statement that I am lying.
    Now.. correct me if I am wrong here or misleading by saying It seems you are the one casing a lie and manifesting an agenda to create the scheme of lies concerning my web site.
    Thank you but no thank you...,
    Ralph

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    1/29/2010 12:39am

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The answer to your Q is because I just don't care what you think about what is on my web site or not. It really doesn't concern you unless you are a close friend of mine and I care to share information with you regarding my personal history.
    I haven't made any remarks as to the content of your site and have no opinion as to the legitimacy of what is there. I don't think I have been disrespectful as I haven't criticized your training, your history, or any of the videos. I don't care what ranks you hold or what training you have done or are currently doing. That isn't the issue.

I am simply pointing out that you have stated:

1) You don't care what other people think (fair enough)
    2) People should just care about your current training (fair enough)

But when asked why you still keep your history up there, you say it is for people to look through and possibly find something interesting or it is for close friends. Both of these explanations are inconsistent with the above two points.

Why list your past training if you don't care what people think and you won't address what is there?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2010 1:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sri hanuman, I am sorry, I miss understood your Q here. “Mr. Severe, is this man an actual instructor”? You were referring to Jason Stork.
    The web site has the students who are licensed with their respected titles and such.
    Jason Stork is a shodan in the general Japanese martial arts, Japanese Bugei in my methodology system. He is not license to teach my system.
    To answer another statement that a rude poster made, there was not any $ exchanged for his license and that was not the reason he was promoted. He is extremely skilled and enjoys what he does and I do not judge him as a human being or as a martial artist.
    Thank you,
    Ralph

Posted On:
    1/29/2010 1:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are more than welcome to state where I have lied on my web site. If you have no proof of any lies then I would like an apology for your rude and unfounded statement that I am lying.
    You know that we can't prove anything if you don't provide us the information.

I asked you a question about your current training, but you are going to ignore it because I was mean to you? You are pretty sensitive for a guy with your background. I don't see how a skilled martial artist can be that insecure.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2010 3:37am

Style: Hsing I, Bagua, Chi kung

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now you can keep going around and around on this subject of your opinion about the system of Togakure ryu Ninpo Taijutsu being this or that and well I really don’t care one way or another.
    Mr. Severe, since we have you here, I have two questions:

1) Are you still a member of Bujinkan? and,
    2) Is that a Judan patch you are wearing in the videos?

Thank you.