225011 Bullies, 3600 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1,491 to 1,500 of 1871
Page 150 of 188 FirstFirst ... 50100140146147148149150 151152153154160 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 11:36pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about you claiming to have been teaching "Combat Arts" in 1974 which would have made you 14 years old at the time.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    3/12/2010 8:34am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am going to address this question as it was posed to me. I am not speaking any more to Ralph, there is no point. If he was really the bother he thinks he is, I would simply go to Texas, drag him out from under his bed, and beat the holy living **** out of him. He will post some macho clap trap about that comment, but Ralph should thank what ever Gods there be that I do not do that.... cause he ain't seen bad yet, but its coming.

<<<MTripp-help me out with something that has been bugging me for quite some time.>>>

I will do my best.

<<<As I am not a Judoka, I have no knowledge of the time that one would have to put into the style to get to black belt/Shodan/1st Level or what have you.>>>

This is a complex question, but lets take the time to go over it. ALL promotions in Judo are based on earning "points." The way points are earned is:

1. Competing at Shiai's (Kata or fighting)
    2. Coaching players and teams at Shiai's
    3. Refereeing matches at Shiai's
    4. Service to Judo; this is everything from running a club, holding camps and clinics, anything that is service to Judo.

Now, truth be told, a persons growth in Judo, if they stay in it long enough, will consist of all of the above. Of course the points needed for a Shodan are far less than a Rokudan; and after Shodan "time in grade" requirements kick in as well.

<<<As Ralph is claiming this it seems to me that if he had trained in it at all, that a considerable amount of time must have been invested to gain such a rank.>>>

Well, Ron Tripp did it in one afternoon. Ron, a Pan Am gold medal freestyle wrestler entered the Midwest Ladder Shiai as a white belt. This is NOT a small event, this is a major shiai held every year. Dr. Tripp defeated everyone he fought. When they added up the points for the win's, he had enough for a black belt. This is called "Batsugun." I should point out the book "Judo Training Methods," goes into all of this, and you can see my old school, the Detroit Judo Club in there as well. Gaining a Black Belt in one afternoon is VERY rare. With NO shiai work, it would take a person about 7 years to get enough points to earn a legitimate Black Belt in Judo. If there was/is shiai work, then there would be a record of it somewhere.

<<<Unless somewhere along the line the Judo style lostits way and turned into a belt factory without us noticing, I don't see how any individual could have attained this rank if they don't really care about it.>>>

For some time, there has been a "traditional Judo" movement in this country. Juko-kai and Rod (I am not going to try and spell his last name) put this forth about 20 years ago, and up to about 5 years ago. The high point was when he took out a full page ad in Black Belt mag claiming his was a "legitimate style" of Judo. The ad was filled with so many lies and half-truths it was a shock BB ran the ad. They got a LOT of heat over it, and they never ran another one.

Locally one of these "Traditional Judo" schools opened up when I had my dojo. They were simply looking to cash in as another McDojo. They had a guy there who claimed to be a 5th dan in Traditional Judo. Yet, at the Michigan Open, he entered, WITH A GREEN BELT ON IN THE NOVICE DIVISION!!!!! Sadly for him, his first match was against one of my guys. A 16 YEAR OLD KID!!! Who really was a green belt, barely. Let me be clear, this kid was our worst player, the last one on the bench, you know what I mean.

In less than 20 seconds my player hit him with a crappy russian uchi mata (done as a leg throw not a hip throw), the guy turned to his belly, my player took his back, sunk in the hooks, and choked him out on the spot!

That video was on our web site for some time, with the pictures of the person, his claim of 5th dan, and how long he lasted against our 16 year old green belt. For some reason, the program died out, but they replaced it with a BJJ program, and NEVER went back to a shiai.

Point is, these clowns are out there, but their ranks are NOT accepted by any legitimate Judo school.

<<<Am I missing something here? I was under the impression that Judo ranks took some time to attain. IMO, that alone should be enough to hang Ralph's BB claims with, right?>>>

Yes, and it does. But Ralph is simply going to keep telling us he has a purple dragon in his Garage, and we can all go to hell because he doesn't have to show it to us, BUT we do have to believe him. Ralph will mess with that too; but the literate in the room understand what I said, and know it is a famous quote from James Randi.

<<<Before anyone goes on a burn the searcher spree, I am not bashing on Judo. I am just inquiring about something that has been bothering me for some time.>>>

Not taken. In short, there are some groups, who do NOT want the reality check of shiai, who have used the term Judo, like others have used BJJ or whatever. They are NOT accepted Judoka, and their ranks are worthless in the real Judo world.

<<<I know there are a great many styles that give rank away, but I don't see Judo or Shotokan or BJJ schools that do that.>>>

No LEGITIMATE school does it, however, there are some that are simply not legitimate. They more they use the "old school" Japanese terms and clap trap, the more likely, as far as Judo goes, that they are... :pottytrai
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2010 9:53am

Style: Fitness-Fu and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mr Severe, as a gentle reminder this is what you originally posted:

Hello, I found this and felt it was pretty interesting.
    I have an open policy and don't mind answering questions.
    Feel free to ask me regarding this silly and immature thread about my personal experiences, skills, license and etc.
    Thank you,
    Ralph
    You wrote this did you not?

SO my earlier questions IRT the particulars of your judo and karate licenses/certs are valid within the realm of what you originally posted-yes?

I eagerly await your response.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2010 2:29pm

Style: Japanese Russian American

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you read, I mean this thread?
    I already answered this Q.
    OK Ralph, since you won't answer my question, do you incorporate any karate and/or judo into your training today? If so, what do you put in?

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/13/2010 3:30pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kamiyamashinobi View Post
    Do you read, I mean this thread?
    I already answered this Q.
    OK Ralph, since you won't answer my question, do you incorporate any karate and/or judo into your training today? If so, what do you put in?
    That is in this thread.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    3/13/2010 4:33pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just for public record, I've provided Ralph Severe with my email address so he can begin any legal proceedings for deformation of character.

~Ella Wheeler

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    3/13/2010 6:40pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kamiyamashinobi View Post
    Oh yes, bootcamp was 13 weeks in late 1979 and done in three phases.

Yes, there was fixed bayonet training.

It was weak and basic.

Nothing to report to you very skilled guys who know about the US Marine Corp fix bayonet training.
    How about comments from a Marine.

..//.. getting processed out is not an over night affair. It is lengthy and generally can take weeks or months to complete. You are not part of a training platoon during this process. You're in the sick lame and lazy platoon until discharge.

43 total days in boot camp would have to include quite a bit of time spent going through the discharge process. The bayonet training during that era was taught exclusively during the field training portion of boot camp and would occur right around day 43. He would not have been part of that if he was in some sort of out processing platoon.
    So am I right in my understanding that you had some form of medical issue which required your discharge ?

You served a total of 43 days including whatever discharge process was involved.

Interesting indeed.

~Ella Wheeler

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/13/2010 7:06pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Stiglitz View Post
    How about comments from a Marine.

So am I right in my understanding that you had some form of medical issue which required your discharge ?

You served a total of 43 days including whatever discharge process was involved.

Interesting indeed.
    Perhaps I was wrong about there being no bayonet training. If so, it was of such little time to have been forgotten and I remember well USMC boot camp. In the years since, I have fond memories. Not for the gruelling day to day, but for the overall experience.

To bad that Ralph can't know those feelings.

Dave,

The words the other marine speaks about time to process out of the military are correct. It's not like Ralph had a pre-determined date from completing his contract. He would have been in a holding company, waiting for all of the necessary administrative work to be completed. There were no computers used back then at the admin level. This is a fact.

During my nearly three years at the Infantry Training School of Camp Pendleton, I saw many students wash out due to medical, legal and sometimes mental issues. All of this took time.

Had not thought of that before. This puts his actual time training at much less than 43 days.

Good work.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    3/13/2010 7:43pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    Perhaps I was wrong about there being no bayonet training. If so, it was of such little time to have been forgotten and I remember well USMC boot camp.
    From what I understand, the amount of time spent was between 1-2 hours this may have been in addition to or including standing thrust/parry/butt-stroke practice in groups.

This sort of training appears to be quite standard, indeed it sounds as if its very similar in content to that delivered to British Infantry prior to operations in the Middle East, as I've stated before military doctrine has altered considerably in many areas since Op Telic and Herrick

~Ella Wheeler

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/13/2010 8:56pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dave

I do now very vaguely remember parry and thrust, and the if needed butt stroke.

There was more time spent holding the M-16 overhead and in front and at arms length for conditioning.

Far more time spent learning close order drill on the parade deck.

Far more time spent learning to field strip the M-16.

Ralph never made it to this point. 2nd phase was, if I remember correctly, when rifles were issued. I'm guessing that he was not in a recruit training platoon long enough to be issued the tool of his want to be trade.

Unlike other military services in the US, the Marine Corp requires all members be at minimum qualified to the marksmanship level with the M-16. Be it infantry, cook, clerk or other, all must show proficiency and qualify yearly.

The USMC could care less about fixed bayonet. The ability to shoot is another matter.

One's mouth doesn't count.