Page 11 of 187 FirstFirst ... 7891011 121314152161111 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2010 1:40pm

Style: Itinerant Wanderer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Actual questions, not just blind criticism.

Mr. Severe,

I have a few questions for you, and would like to discuss a couple of things with you, since you're here.

I am from the Dallas/Ft. Worth area originally; TX is still my home of record. So, I do show up from time to time when I get to go home on leave. A friend of mine likes the idea of being involved in martial arts, but makes excuses as to why he won't participate at the school his son (and my family) attend. They teach judo, jukoryu jujitsu, and the hanbo. He wanted something more "hardcore", and asked me to look up any "ninjitsu" schools in the area.

A Google search led me to your website. Aside from the silly poses and silly web design, the site does provide a good overview of what you do. But I have issues with what you do. Frankly, the links I saw to your sparring videos alarmed me. I saw a lot of sweaty men trying very hard to do something martial-esque. I did not see much in the way of technique, control, or an instructor looking out for their safety. Unfortunately, I cannot find that series of video clips.

I also saw really bad weapons technique demonstrations, including at 1:00 of this video:
    YouTube- youtube clip #20 Ralph Severe Dallas Ninjutsu Kukishin ryu Bojutsu Urban Combative Training. Really? You smacked the ground near his feet with your staff one-handed, while you went to your knees? You gave up control of your weapon, and presented an open head for retaliation. Am I missing a subtlety that would make this technique not a suicide move?

Sand in the face? That's your go-to move? YouTube- youtube Clip #4 Ralph Severe Dallas Ninjutsu Academy Togakure ryu

I would rather see a video purporting to give a fun look at woodland training that involved hiding, camouflage, perhaps even decent weapon-handling skills in a cluttered environment. Instead, I saw powder in the eyes, and a cut-n-run.

I don't care how big you are. It's obvious you can move. I understand that you probably really love what you do. I do have issues with your substandard quality and the sheer cheesiness your operations projects. Help me to understand why I shouldn't feel this way. Help me to feel bad about telling my friend to avoid you school like a plague. Aside from the fact that he has ready access to a perfectly adequate facility and group of instructors already- make me see why you offer so much more than bad weapons, ninja showmanship, and horribly expensive ways to learn basic marksmanship.

There was a rumor somewhere on this site about possibly doing a big Dallas area throwdown. I liked the Houston one I went to- my only complaint was it took me so long to get there, that I missed the first half. You would do well to show up at the throwdown to let people like me roll around with you and your students to get an idea of what you teach. I can't promise I'll make it if it happens- I go back out to sea in June. But I'd like to see what I can wrangle.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2010 2:35pm

Style: Japanese Russian American

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muerteds,thank you for the interesting Q.
    I hope this is not to forward.. What experience do you have with historical Japanese battlefield systems?
    I believe this would help me in answering your Q.
    Thanks.

CP, I am not trying to impress you. But thanks.

Anything else?

Ralph

Posted On:
    1/27/2010 2:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kamiyamashinobi View Post
    Ranking and who you did this or that with means little to nothing, take for example, this awesome human being, Guro Dan Inosanto is certified as full instructor in Eskrima, Arnis and Kali by:
    Of course ranking is important. Why did you post your ranks on your site if it isn't important? People are going to decide if they are going to train with you based on your qualifications. No legit martial artist should have problems disclosing his qualifications.

See how easy it was to post that info for Inosanto? Now do the same thing for yourself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2010 2:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    AMF, I do not teach for the social business 7/11 or WalMart side of those looking for a product. I have no product to sell you. So No, It does not matter. I could care less about your Q regarding my rank, others ranking or titles.

shaolin pimp, Jason Stork is a friend and student in my Traditional Japanese martial arts system This is correct. He is ranked with a license of shodan.
    You are correct, any mature willing human being who seeks 'real time' skills does spar with weaponry and unarmed with a single or mutable partner. So I do willing enjoy the expression of sparring.
    Students are tested from time to time but not by silly sparring matches or contest. They are judged by their living skills as a human being.
    I train others in traditional Japanese warrior arts as well as Jun Fan, Panantukan, Kali, Dumog, catch as catch can, and Russian cultural arts.
    I do not consider traditional Japanese arts modern. Kind of silly..
    But systems such as Jun Fan, Panantukan, Kali, Dumog, catch as catch can, and Russian cultural arts can be considered modern.
    The demos throwing metsubishi are for fun and giving others the joy of seeing the Togakure ryu Ninpo Taijutsu from my expression as shown to me by my teachers.
    Many systems of true fighting have throwing things such as coins, metal, sand, dirt, etc into others eyes for survival. It would be totally silly not to have these skills in a combative system.
    Yes, the spelling is important so I understand what it is you are referring to or asking me. So it is correct to use the correct spelling of a system or study.
    To be lazy and not put the effort into understanding or doing the research into the subject you wish to chat with others about is kind of rude or pointless.
    Thank you,
    Ralph

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2010 3:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here are a few rankings that mean little to nothing I have worked for and received, take your time and sort these out.

State of Texas
    USSLETC

• Master Instructor Police Defensive Tactics
    • Master Instructor Police Impact Weaponry
    • Advanced Instructor Police Ground Defensive Tactics
    • Advanced Instructor Weapons Disarming

State of California
    LEST, P.O.S.T.

• Master Instructor Tactical Baton
    • Master Instructor Physical Fitness for Law Enforcement
    • Master Instructor Weaponless Defensive Tactics

State of New Mexico
    GSPTA

• Advanced Instructor Law Enforcement AK Semi Auto Rifle
    • Advanced Instructor Law Enforcement Knife Defense
    • Advanced Instructor Law Enforcement CQC - Building Search Tactics
    • Advanced Instructor Law Enforcement Flashlight Defensive Tactics
    • Advanced Instructor Law Enforcement Weaponless Physical Control Tactics
    • Advanced Instructor Law Enforcement Stick Defense
    • Advanced Instructor Law Enforcement Pump and Semi Auto Shotgun
    • Advanced Instructor Law Enforcement Semi Auto Pistol 9mm .40 .45
    • Advanced Instructor Law Enforcement AR-15 Semi Auto Rifle

BI

• Master Instructor Japanese Cultural Arts
    • Master Instructor Japanese Warrior Cultural Arts

Thank you,
    Ralph

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2010 3:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nefron, Thank you for the Q but this is off subject of what I am willing to answer and I feel you are being rude and silly.
    If you wish to ask a Q regarding my training now or the Bujinkan Dojo or the members of the Bujinkan Dojo I trained with by all means do so and I will answer them as long as they are not rude.
    Again thank you for taking the time to express yourself,
    Ralph

Posted On:
    1/27/2010 3:22pm

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^ Are any of those verified, or is everyone just expected to believe you because you wrote them in a post?

Seriously, come on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2010 3:29pm

Style: Fitness-Fu and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do not teach for the social business 7/11 or WalMart side of those looking for a product. I have no product to sell you. So No, It does not matter. I could care less about your Q regarding my rank, others ranking or titles.
    Ah, but it does Sir.

If I come to you to enroll in a class, meaning I am paying you to teach me, then you should have no issues with me as a paying customer asking you about your credentials.

You are offering a service in exchange for monetary compensation are you not?

You state on your web page here:

http://www.artofcombat.com/clinics.html

the fee's associated with traveling in the Dallas area to teach and outside of the Dallas area to teach.

Additionally I am curious as to which specific units of the military and their branch you have trained as stated on your homepage here:

http://www.artofcombat.com/index.html

Posted On:
    1/27/2010 3:41pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CP, I am not trying to impress you. But thanks.
    Much appreciated. Your non-answer speaks volumes.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    1/27/2010 3:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here are a few rankings that mean little to nothing I have worked for and received, take your time and sort these out....
    [...]
    Thank you,
    Ralph
    Ralph, good to see you still kickin', still full of piss & vinegar, and still the same ol' you after all these years.
    I used to argue with you some back in the Booj forums and some here I think. I too left the Bujinkan for various reasons and am doing other (& better?) things.
    Just wanted to say Sorry for any insults I threw your way back then, I blame the Kool-aid and youthful indiscretion!
    Keep cross training and keep on kickin'!

& guys, you can look at his website and see who he's trained with. It's all there (I believe, haven't been there in awhile)
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney