My pleasure.

Posted On:
    4/20/2007 8:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

weird injury to left hand.

I got cracked really hard on my knuckles while stick sparring exactly a week ago today and for some reason I can't get my index and middle finger to bend more than 75% without conscious effort. Is this weird and should I take it to a professional?
    Sumus extra manum tuam.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    4/20/2007 8:15am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My rule is that anything that doesn't at least start getting better in a week is call for a doctor visit.

But have you tried the I.C.E thing / anti-inflammitories? Cause it sounds like when I jammed my hand up. No pain, but inflexability in the fingers. It was fine after about two weeks though.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/20/2007 8:59am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like a finger jam. Massage the knuckles with Icy-hot, even if it hurts a little. If by a week it doesn't heal, you should see a doctor. Or go see a doc right now. I mean, you got cracked on your knuckles with a stick for Christ's sake!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2007 9:59am

Style: FMA & judo-ultra noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last time that happened to me with a stick it was a smashed knuckle/torn ligament combo. Of course, the pain was so overwhelming I went to a doctor immediately so it's probably not the same for you if you're not in considerable pain.

Generally with stickfighting my benchmark for 'is it doctor time' is if the item in question turns purple. Because usually if it's broke - it turns purple. If it's torn - it turns purple. If it's bone bruising - it turns purple.

You get the idea.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/20/2007 11:24am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the reasons he may want to check it is to avoid the development of calcium deposits or cysts in an injured ligament. It's a very weird ****; if you tear/bruise a bursa or ligament, you can develop a cyst in that area. Some of them are quite harmless, others can limit the range of movement in that area and need to be surgically removed.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    4/20/2007 2:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think El Macho just won this thread.
    Sumus extra manum tuam.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    4/20/2007 5:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whorian Gracie
    I dunno. Sticks or no sticks. You can move it so I don't see why there would be a need to go see the damn doctor. Tape it up and get back out there. Unless you are in need of that hand (you operate on brains or something) in which case, you shouldn't be stick fighting.

I suggest wearing Hockey gloves and duct tape your stick until your hand fully heals.

Thank you Dr. Any other pearls of wisdom that'd you'd like to furnish?

See a doc, get some x-rays. Just because it's movable doesn't mean that it's not broken. Bones serve as an anchor for muscles, however the muscles can still contract and release regardless of the bone itself. As it's already been stated above, you can develop conditions due to not having it diagnosed/set/healed correctly. Problems with nutrient delivery to the bone via blockage in the synovial fluid around the joints and bones can have severe future effects. Avoid this, go get it looked at. It's better that you find out you jammed it, then to have a something that'll screw you over permanently later on.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    4/21/2007 5:09pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did something like that with my little finger once in sparring... It never fully healed and I did not seek treatment. I can't fully straighten the finger, so it might be good to see a doctor to avoid embarrassing deformities.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire