Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/22/2007 11:14am

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

NAGA Worlds

I had alot of fun, as it wa s my first tournament. I did well, went into the Beginner Category, so I fought up a level, made my 139, and took fourth out of 16. dominated two dudes, then got dominated by two dudes with alot more experience. the first guy to beat me went on to win the gold. almost managed to locoplata someone after his coach said I had no jiu jitsu in my game :chewy:

the event was ridiculously crowded, with somewhere around 2600 people showing up. which is amazing, and gave, me anyways, this huge sense of community where, holy ****, there's a whole bunch of us.

because of the crowdedness, everything was late. really late. with gi not starting till like 9 o clock or something ridiculous like that.

some of the reffing was completely BS and some of the refs were asleep. some of them were excellent. so overall average.

Anyone else roll through to NAGA Worlds?

Posted On:
    4/22/2007 1:07pm

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was there but my knee is messed up so I just videotaped my team mates. I'm glad I didn't compete in that one. Some people didn't even get their match until 11:30 at night. I was also under the opinion that each ref was kind of doing their own thing.

Also, is that a new thing; scoring submission attempts as points? I've never seen that before.

Posted On:
    4/22/2007 2:22pm

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They had over 1500 peope competing. No wonder it went behind schedule.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2007 4:17pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearless Ukemi

Also, is that a new thing; scoring submission attempts as points? I've never seen that before.
    I've seen them counted as advantages but never as points. I've only been in one tournament so I don't really know. Would a half-ass guillotine where one just throws the arm over the head with 0% chance of finishing count, or would it have to be locked in and the defender escaped by some miracle? What I'm asking is how would a judge determine serious submission attempts to ones the attacker knows wont work and is only doing for points?

Posted On:
    4/22/2007 8:46pm

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that was actually one of the problematic points of the tournament.

they scored some subs that were so half assed it was ridiculous, but others that were dead on weren't counted. weird.

Posted On:
    4/22/2007 11:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I competed in teen divisions so I didn't have to wait too long, I did see the lines when I left though, was ridiculous. Took first in expert no-gi heavyweight and intermediate gi. I considered moving up to adult, but didn't really want to wait around all day.

In every naga tournament I have gone to so far, submissions attempts have resulted in points for no-gi.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/23/2007 11:05am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was there as well. Pretty crappy day, for me at least.

Parking was a nightmare. Huge registration line. Ridiculous line for the bathroom and the snack stand. And I waited until 8:00 at night to compete in my division(expert no-gi) so I can only imagine how late gi divisions ran. Add that to the fact that I performed poorly and hit an hour delay on the turnpike extension when driving home and you've got a pretty awful day. Overall I really wish I had just gone to one of many BBQs people were having instead of spending 8 1/2 hours in jersey city.

Overall I think I'm done with NAGA tournaments. They've just gotten too big. I don't think it is neccesarily Kipp's fault as he's constantly seeking out larger venues. I just think it is impossible to run such big tournaments effeciently and everyone other that kids are doomed to sit around for hours and hours.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    4/23/2007 11:08am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would it be better if they split it up and made it a 2 day event?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/23/2007 11:34am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    Would it be better if they split it up and made it a 2 day event?

If they split it just right, yes. It would be worlds better. I've heard they do that at the beach events. Seems much better. Something like kids, teens & Gi divisions one day and all no-gi mens divisions the next.

But then Kipp needs to rent the increasingly large venues for a second day which I'm sure kills the bottom line so I don't know if that'd happen.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/23/2007 11:48am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Armondofcf
    If they split it just right, yes. It would be worlds better. I've heard they do that at the beach events. Seems much better. Something like kids, teens & Gi divisions one day and all no-gi mens divisions the next.

But then Kipp needs to rent the increasingly large venues for a second day which I'm sure kills the bottom line so I don't know if that'd happen.
    sounds better than having people say "**** it" and not compete anymore
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast