....xD LOL

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    4/21/2007 1:01pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not only is judo a good substitute for BJJ, it's pretty fucking awesome on it's own. (All praise be to Kano, and Kimura, who sits at the right hand of the kano. Blessed be Karo, their prophet.)

I take jujitsu to supplement judo.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    4/21/2007 1:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper
    Not only is judo a good substitute for BJJ, it's pretty fucking awesome on it's own. (All praise be to Kano, and Kimura, who sits at the right hand of the kano. Blessed be Karo, their prophet.)

I take jujitsu to supplement judo.
    Crappler
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    4/21/2007 2:33pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol ke?po
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Posted On:
    4/21/2007 6:12pm

Style: Inept BJJer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seeing as BJJ and judo share such a huge percentage of their moves I don't see how one could give you bad habits in the other. Unless you consider "not being a butt-scooter" a bad habit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2007 7:20pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I doubt I'd choose BJJ over Judo if BJJ was a 2 hour roundtrip by train, but that's just me. I have had to get rid of/tone-down some obnoxious Judo habits like giving up my back, stalling on the ground, and sitting around in pins, though. On the other hand I also lack BJJ habits like fighting all bent over and using the Mighty Stiff-Arm.

(Disclaimer: Not all BJJ people fight bent over using the mighty stiff arm. Then again, not all Judo people stall on the ground and wait for the ref to stand us up either. There, there. I'm not insulting your sport.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2007 10:58pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFive
    I doubt I'd choose BJJ over Judo if BJJ was a 2 hour roundtrip by train, but that's just me. I have had to get rid of/tone-down some obnoxious Judo habits like giving up my back, stalling on the ground, and sitting around in pins, though. On the other hand I also lack BJJ habits like fighting all bent over and using the Mighty Stiff-Arm.

(Disclaimer: Not all BJJ people fight bent over using the mighty stiff arm. Then again, not all Judo people stall on the ground and wait for the ref to stand us up either. There, there. I'm not insulting your sport.)
    I despise when people stall in a turtle...but they get theirs pretty quick if you are good at what you do. Thats the only bad habit I can think of in Judo. Then again BJJ guys fly to the mount the second you make contact, call it good or bad, but I work better off my back so to me its an advantage.

Honestly, and its already been said, they both originated in Ju-Jitsu, Judo has more emphasis on throws, BJJ has more emphasis on Ne-Waza. You should be doing both for Christ-sake, soon as I start working in about 2 weeks I'm signing up for Renzo's academy or an affiliate though since I'm working on learning Portuguese it'll probably be Renzo's (he has lots of cousins who teach there).

If you get a good Judo teacher you won't be lacking on the ground. My teacher runs ne-waza first and spends same time on stand up and ground; I roll with BJJ guys of same rank in my college and the result is always anyone's guess.

Summary judgement; train in both....ah the golden path.

Posted On:
    4/21/2007 11:25pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like it when judo people turtle in newaza. If they are doing that it means I'm on their back working a choke and not in their control defending the choke.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2007 11:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    I like it when judo people turtle in newaza. If they are doing that it means I'm on their back working a choke and not in their control defending the choke.
    Unless you want him to go for that, if he has a good guard, I might turtle, wait for the choke to come in, trap the arm, roll and attempt a better position since he is on his side and won't get me in a proper guard right away. Plus since you have his arm you might try an arm bar though it hasn't worked for me very often out of that roll.

I roll with both so I try to get creative. =)

Posted On:
    4/22/2007 5:50am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah but I train for the street.

That's been my excuse for every sparring match I've ever lost.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast