Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/22/2007 1:04pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    Dialup is NOT going to allow it. Maybe I can get it at work tomorrow.
    I'm shrinking both clips with moviemaker - the quality will not be as good, but both should come up to a much smaller size.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    4/22/2007 1:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    I've been putting the weight on the floor and picking it up again.

Question is, is it really good to reduce the range of movement just to get a higher number ?
    Well, you can pick the weight off the floor and back again. It's just the placement of your hips that's of concern. Since the bar is in front of your shins, there is a greater tendency to move your upper body forward (not as much as with squats). Putting the hips so low puts a lot of stress in the lower body. I gave it a try yesterday, and the difference is enormous.

Regarding whether using a shorter range of movement is good, it depends. Sometimes, you want to lift heavy and concentrate on the range of movement where the muscle is at its strongest.

Like in squats for example. I like to do both, ass to the floor as well as stopping where the quads are parallel to the floor. To me, they are both different exercises in which the amount of weight I can safely use for both is different. Think of them in terms of partial reps.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    4/22/2007 1:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you El Macho, I had not thought of it that way before.

My understanding of the physiological relationship between strength training and range of movement is not very clear. I have just been working on a sort of hunch that if I want 'functional' strength, then fullest range of movement involving the most possible muscles in my body (i.e. the reason why MAists are usually recommend to do compound exercises when they lift).

Do you know of any links to good explanations of the anatomy/physiology involved in how range of movement impacts the effect of weight training on a muscle fibre ?
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    4/22/2007 3:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You shorten the range of motion to your sticking point on the lift. Say, on your deadlift, you can lift the bar 3 inches off the ground, but after that it stops. What you do is set the rack up to that sticking point (3 inches) and train from there, because obviously that's where your strength fails. You train this with much heavier weight, due to the reduced range of motion, for 2-3 weeks, increasing the weight more and more. Eventually, you build up enough strength at this part of the lift that, when you hit it on the regular deadlift, you clear through it, as you've strengthened that part of the lift.

It's the principle of "partials".
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Baracknophobic

Posted On:
    4/22/2007 9:52pm

supporting member
     Style: JackOAllTradesMasterONone

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    Dialup is NOT going to allow it. Maybe I can get it at work tomorrow.
    Ditto
    Real Join Date: Nov. 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert
    "Driving without blood is surprisingly difficult."

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/22/2007 10:45pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    Do you know of any links to good explanations of the anatomy/physiology involved in how range of movement impacts the effect of weight training on a muscle fibre ?
    There are two things to bear in mind here: Muscle length (in general) and strength curves for different muscles/joints.

It's very clear that muscles are strongest when they're at about a medium level of contraction. They're weakest at both extremes.

The strength curve for any given movement is often similar. An easy example is the muscles that help you flex your arm. They like it best when your elbow is bent about 90 degrees. Less than that becomes a little more difficult. More than that becomes a lot more.

So while you might be tempted to interpret "functional" training as taking the bicep through its entire range of motion, this is actually only one variation of the movement. To stick exclusively to it is going to limit your strength gains. In reality, you would have to work on both your strongest points and your weakest points. How much time you spend on each is a little more complicated.

As far as "functional training" goes, the truth is that something is only functional insofar as it applies to what you're doing. It's a term that's usually bandied about as an antidote to bodybuilding-style programs for those who simply want general fitness. In reality, it has to take into account your specific needs and goals.

Baracknophobic

Posted On:
    4/23/2007 8:02am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rebecca Rush,
    I never heard of you before this day. I am, from this day forth, obsessed with you.

Luv,
    KP

Posted On:
    4/23/2007 12:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yo.

For those of you still in dial-up purgatory, I'm going to be uploading files of 20MB and less (whenever possible) instead of the usual high-quality ones. I don't think (and maybe I'm wrong with this one) that people are/were planning to take the HQ, burn them on DVD and pop them on their TVs.

Most of you, if not all, will be looking at these clips from their PCs, and the material in them do not really require a high definition for them to be valuable (plus you can still see the ladies in the "cardio survival" clip). I think this is the most that these clips can be reduced without looking shitty.

So, anyways, here he go again. Please let me know guys if you still have problems downloading them.

Mike Davies' The Fitness Factory - Cardio Survivor (13.5MB, 79kbs bit rate, 320x240)
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9686RTIW

Rick Walker's Deadlift 101 (13.3MB, 96kbs bit rate, 320x240)
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=62OUYGGG

Posted On:
    4/23/2007 3:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    flyupload.com is the best file hosting place I've found no registration or waiting and unlimited downloads.
    ****, flyupload.com is being blocked from work :(

Baracknophobic

Posted On:
    4/23/2007 3:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    get back to work!
    Real Join Date: Nov. 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert
    "Driving without blood is surprisingly difficult."
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast