Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/10/2010 8:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a quick question about being charged for days that one doesn't go to the school. Don't most colleges work under that for tuition, and for cost per credit hour, that one still has to pay even if you don't attend the class, of course unless you've withdrawn, and then in most cases only if you've withdraw by a specific date?

How is having something similar in a contract for a MA school any different? (I guess it could be that most colleges limit class size and such, and it's not implied in the contract that there's any limit to the class size).

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/10/2010 8:41pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See, the problem is people still try to compare a Martial Arts school to College. They are not the same.

Well, you can drop out with a graduated refund up to a certain point. If you have problems you can withdraw passing and retain the course work up to that point. You pay for a few months not YEARS. You do not pay for your 4-5 year degree up front nor, are you obligated to continue paying once you quit, drop out, leave, get expelled or graduate.

Before you say it yes, you'll have to repay any loans but, they are active only for the time you went. If you go to school for one semester that is the length of your loan. They do not continue charging you for the loan every month until the alleged length is over.

Long term vs short term are completely different from each other.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2010 8:44pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    besides, in college, you're paying for the credit of a course. you don't get a refund if you never go to class and still get an "A", you get a transcript that identifies the class and the grade you acquired.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/11/2010 7:40am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    See, the problem is people still try to compare a Martial Arts school to College. They are not the same.

Well, you can drop out with a graduated refund up to a certain point. If you have problems you can withdraw passing and retain the course work up to that point. You pay for a few months not YEARS[.....]

Long term vs short term are completely different from each other.

I see, that's a very good point I hadn't thought about it in the case of MA schools presenting the contracts for YEARS, I was more thinking about a contract say for 5 or 6 months would that be unreasonable?

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/11/2010 9:01am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth42 View Post
    I see, that's a very good point I hadn't thought about it in the case of MA schools presenting the contracts for YEARS, I was more thinking about a contract say for 5 or 6 months would that be unreasonable?
    No one has a problem with 3-6-9-12 month contracts. Many BJJ, MMA, etc schools uses these. As some instructors put it, the contract helps with lazy people. You pay whether you come to all classes or just one. No one has a problem with short term contracts unless, they have hidden fees. Hidden fees are another thing you don't see in College tuition either. As long as you look you know you are going to get lab fees, rec fees, taxes and what not. No, I do not use the rec but, I'm paying a nominal fee to maintain the facility.

Many Mcdojo contracts have massive hidden fees in their contract that aren't straight forward.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/11/2010 12:28pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    No one has a problem with 3-6-9-12 month contracts. Many BJJ, MMA, etc schools uses these. As some instructors put it, the contract helps with lazy people. You pay whether you come to all classes or just one. No one has a problem with short term contracts unless, they have hidden fees. Hidden fees are another thing you don't see in College tuition either. As long as you look you know you are going to get lab fees, rec fees, taxes and what not. No, I do not use the rec but, I'm paying a nominal fee to maintain the facility.

Many Mcdojo contracts have massive hidden fees in their contract that aren't straight forward.

Ahh okay, thanks, I'm on the same page now. Yes, lab fees, rec fees, etc are common and normal at most schools. Though I know at a community college that I use to attened they actually would wave the rec fees for some of the students (those going full time at branch campuses or only taking night classes).
    Thanks for helping me get this a bit straighter in my head.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/11/2010 3:14pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who knows someone may pop in with a different opinion. That's what discussion is for IMO. Even if we don't fully agree, as long as it leads to new perspectives it is all good.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 10:05am

Style: muay thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the lawyer's on Bullshido:

Do you think it would be any kind of violation to use these in a law school K's class? We have to bring in some K's for analysis and these are incredibly interesting.

I plan on editing out any school names/identifying information.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 9:37pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did not realize how far this can go.

Read the fine print, Read the fine print........and then...refuse to sign?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345