Posted On:
    6/28/2007 3:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA and Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kikara Martial Arts Academy? [Vancouver]

Hello,

I am 'very' new to the scene of martial arts. Good thing I found this website prior to enrolling in a 'black belt program' here in Vancouver.

However, I am curious about Kikara. I checked their website and find it very vauge in terms of their program. They offer a blend of karate and kickboxing (MMA?) and "to provide quality martial arts training for everybody that empowers both students and business partners to maximize their commitment to fitness, fun, self-defense, self-confidence, and an enjoyable and profitable lifestyle." -Kikara Mission Statement

They have many branches in the lower mainland (8) and have plenty of job listing. Which I find it hard to belive since, you can't just learn martial arts with a snap of a finger.
    In their website, they do not display their price for their programs nor they explain deeply about their program and practices. It's more of a sign in and join. Not only that, but they focus on 'business opportunities'. I thought martial arts is learning the skill, not expanding the business? Is it not?

They have been awarded in 'Vancouver's Best 2005' http://www.straight.com/article/best...r-2005-winners and they were advertised in a local news.

I've been into one of their academies and it seems pretty busy, they have plenty of students who enroll in their programs as well. I am still finding it hard to belive if this company is just teaching for the benifit of skill or just for the dough? But they seem to be a successful of what they are doing. Are they not?

What's your input in this?

Their website: http://www.kikara.ca
    Last edited by brinks; 6/28/2007 3:23pm at .

Guess which finger is the fickle one...

Posted On:
    6/28/2007 3:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/ Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While the place reeks McDojo, and I put the 'practical self defense' claim in the highly suspect catagory, there seems to be ample information. The instuctors are supposed to be of a "High level" in their art, and be cetified beyond this (supposedly).

As for the business opportunities, If an owner had qualified instructors working for him, He need not be a martial artist to own a martial arts school. A good business man can own a business as long as the people who work for him are capable. I'm not saying that always works out, but it isn't instant Bullshido.

What specifically are you taking issue with?

The fact that they are running a string of mcDojos? That is not unique.

Are they endangering their students by making outrageous claims? Not really, most of their emphasis is on Weight loss, fitness, and sport fighting.

Could you please elaborate on what makes them Bullshido
    (dangerous misrepresentations).
    If you can't laugh at yourself,
    Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Posted On:
    6/28/2007 3:22pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not claiming that they are mcdojos or bullshidos but I want to goto a school where I can learn something honestly and respectfully. Rather than learning something just for the money I have to pay. I just thought of them, since they are heavily advertised throughout Vancouver and on the internet.
    Last edited by brinks; 6/28/2007 3:25pm at .

poser

Posted On:
    6/28/2007 3:23pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's not calling BS, he's asking whether we call BS.

And no, it doesn't look like bullshido, it just looks like something to avoid.

Guess which finger is the fickle one...

Posted On:
    6/28/2007 3:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/ Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by brinks
    I am not claiming that they are mcdojos or bullshidos but I want to goto a school where I can learn something honestly and respectfully. Rather than learning something just for the money I have to pay. I just thought of them, since they are heavy advertised throughout Vancouver and on the internet.
    Then what you need to decide is wether you're looking for a workout focusing on fitness and sport fighting and a social environment,

or you want to learn to fight in a pressure situation and be effective.

Kwoww: Sorry, I misunderstood.
    If you can't laugh at yourself,
    Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/28/2007 3:35pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They got the deadly Sais. That is enough reason to be wary.

Posted On:
    6/28/2007 3:39pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl
    They got the deadly Sais. That is enough reason to be wary.
    Sais?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/28/2007 3:42pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Plural of Sai.

There are so many things that make this school look like a McDojo. I doubt you will learn how to fight or defend yourself there. But you never know until you go and check it out. Looks can be deceiving.

lol..i meant tp type 'this' but it came out '****'...Freudian typo?

Posted On:
    7/01/2007 3:20pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't go to Kikara, there are far more better gyms out there in Vancouver. Kikara is a straight up mcdojo. I've seen ads where they pay their "instructors" without even asking for background in martial arts. Seriously, their website(s) had video streams where you could watch how they train, and it was pathetic. I'm pretty sure they took it down now..but when they had it up, their kickboxing class was hilarious..screaming "HIAA" after each punch, and their kickboxing class had belts? WTF?.. What kind of legit gym hands out belts for kickboxing. Mcdojos. They also did a lousy "Grappling" class on saturdays, where each class they learn just the basics, and once I saw them roll.....I could tell you that it was a %100 dojo.

Plus, their "blackbelt" class consists of probably a dozen kids. I don't know if this applies to all the kikara gyms, but the one I was watching on the video stream, gave it away.

Posted On:
    8/28/2007 3:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would NOT RECOMMEND kikara!! I joined after a long break from martial arts training... when I emailed them someone got back to me the very next day, I did the intro and signed up, and was very motivated. I should have listened to my gut though cuz it was saying "don't sign the contract!!!" After a few classes PLUS getting injured I knew it wasn't for me and I wanted to cancel my membership (which of course means paying 40% of the unpaid yearly membership, I knew that) ANYWAY it's been 3 MONTHS now that I've been trying to cancel, emails, calls... the lame responses I have received haven't been followed through on. But of course my credit card is being billed each month. My feeling about this club (confirmed after reading what I've found on the net and this forum) is that they about money above all, even if they might offer a semi-decent product. Their customer service and communication has SUCKED ! I told a friend who had trained with me before at UTKF in 1999 that I had joined kikara and that I was angry with them and he wasn't surprised a bit. He is a black belt himself in tae kwon do/kickboxing and easily beat one of their "black belts" in a tournament... BEWARE!
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast