Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia
    Style
    creonte on hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Muay Thai came from India (?????)

Yep, you heard that right... or at least that's what some wikipedia bozo namedJagged_85 says.

He had the audacity to update the the wikipedia article on kickboxing with the following entry:

Adithada (Indian kickboxing) The earliest form of kickboxing, and a possible predecessor of Muay Thai [2]
    Apparently, this person did that "correction" on 7/30/2006... that and more. If you look at his wiki user talk, you'll see that he has done some good work... peppered with deletions and even acts of vandalism.

I'm all for seeing documentation of not-well known martial arts. But unless there are reliable references to make that assertion that Muay Thai possibly originated from India, this is just chauvinistic revitionism. It's not different from those claims that all martial arts came from the Shaolin Temple.

I hate that ****!!! :viking: :XXbazooka
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Style
    Jabs & Cross Kung Fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And BJJ comes from the Indian art of love-making called Karma Sutra.

GMW

Style
    Bad KB, Worse MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's incorrect...it's a little known fact that Muay Thai came from Poland.

GG
    MMA Record vs Llamas 0-1-0
    (The Llama bit my junk but the ref didn't see it).

Style
    Searching for one...
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course it is from India. That is why it is called Muay Thai. Do you know anything El Macho?

Style
    Hayabusa Ninjitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even I know that MT comes from Thailand. Street Fighter II FTW!!

Style
    Bartitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be fair, he isn't saying that "Muay Thai came from India"; he describes Adithada as a possible predecessor of Muay Thai, which seems reasonable to me. The influence of Indian culture on that of Thailand is indisputable, and he's included Adithada under the heading "Forms of Kickboxing", a list that also includes savate, san shou, etc.

Style
    Bits and pieces
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All martial arts come from Ireland. It's a closely guarded secret that myself and 3 other people know. I'll write up a wiki article about it later.

Style
    Rehab
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    religion associated with traditional muay thai ---> a variant of buddhism
    +
    and a prominent indian-born religion ---> buddhism

= muay thai comes from india..?

whaaaaaa ?

Style
    musabetsu kakuto & booj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    southeast asia has a myrid of kickboxing sports and there is nothing in history that says the thais invented it. they may have marketed their own style as "mauy thai" but i know for a fact that almost every other southeast asian country has their own, for instance, cambodia and pradhal serey. not all asian kickboxing is "mauy thai" nor came from it... so go **** yourself for not doing your research.
    Last edited by Trubble; 9/09/2006 7:52am at .

Style
    None. Again.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAB MY WRIST
    And BJJ comes from the Indian art of love-making called Karma Sutra.

GMW
    I'm not even a "grappling is gay" guy and that was DAMN funny.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last