225131 Bullies, 4118 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    4/19/2007 7:06am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help needed sorting out a routine

Hi guys, I've only recently started using weights and don't really know what I'm doing. I've been reading the forums and magazines to get better educated on what I should be doing but I thought I'd run it by you lot. I'm going to be doing weights 3 times a week as of next month and want to know what exercises I should be doing. Is 3 times a week enough to be concentrating on certain muscle groups each time or should I have a big workout that does everything and do that 3 times a week?

I really have no idea so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/19/2007 7:19am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you want to achieve?

Awesomeweight

Posted On:
    4/19/2007 7:35am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    Hi guys, I've only recently started using weights and don't really know what I'm doing. I've been reading the forums and magazines to get better educated on what I should be doing but I thought I'd run it by you lot. I'm going to be doing weights 3 times a week as of next month and want to know what exercises I should be doing. Is 3 times a week enough to be concentrating on certain muscle groups each time or should I have a big workout that does everything and do that 3 times a week?

I really have no idea so any help would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of shape are you in now? For example, how long could you run at a decent pace ? To test yourself quickly, do a 12 minute all out run a treadmill and let us know how much distance you can cover.

The regularity of workouts depends on your schedules and personal life, I myself fit Weight sessions around judo, and attend the gym 3/4 times a week doing a 2.5 hour general CV and weight lifting session.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    4/19/2007 7:42am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I lost a hell of a lot of weight when I was training MT and fought at 85kg. I'm currently walking around at 90kg and would like to bulk up a little. I've got a little bit of flab round my middle but am otherwise pretty athletic lookg; I just don't have much muscle.

I do BJJ 3/4 times a week and would be going to the gym 3 times. I do sprint work and regular jogging too when I can so I'm in reasonable shape.

My sprints consist of jogging for 2 mins and sprinting for 30 secs. I can usually get 10 sprints before I'm done.

Anything else you need to know?

I'll have to try the treadmill thing when I join the gym.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/19/2007 7:49am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know that you'd better be eating tons of calories if you want to put on any muscle mass.

Forget about specific muscles and look at the way your body moves. "Ah, but how does it move," you have not asked:

It picks **** off the ground (or carries it around, for that matter)
    It presses **** over its head
    It pushes **** away from it
    It pulls **** toward it
    It twists toward/away from/carrying ****

There's lots of **** you can do.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/19/2007 8:15am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Besides your weight, could you tell us your height and age? Without your height, we cannot really tell if 90kg is normal, too little or too much. And age is a factor when you lift weights.

And by knowing your weight and height, we may be able to tell if you are eating too little or too much. Nutrition is important, and if you are lifting weights with the purpose of gaining lean muscle (not just weight, but lean muscle), bad nutrition will kill your efforts.

In any case, lifting 3 times a week is a sensible way to start so long as it doesn't interrupt your weekly 3/4 BJJ classes, work and stuff. If you jog and sprint regularly, that would suggest you are in good shape, btw.

There are many ways to go around this, but the simplest thing would be for you to stick with basic compound exercises:

1. legs: squats/front squats, lunges and pistols (or bodyweight one-leg squats)
    2. chest and triceps: incline bench presses, weighted dips, push ups & one hand push ups until the cows come home.)
    3. back and biceps: chin ups/pull ups and barbell rows
    4. legs, back, core, etc: deadlifts (later after a few months of doing the 3 above... IMO)

I did not include regular bench presses at all. They can really screw your shoulders on the long term, but I've found incline bench presses, dips and push ups to be a lot more forgiving while still being effective.

Another thing you do not want to forget is to work your forearms. Get a nice wrist roller or a CoC trainer and use it a couple of times a week at a different time from your weightlifting and BJJ training.

Don't over complicate your training; keep it simple for a month or two. Then you can come back and ask for ways to improve your weight lifting routine.

For now, I would do it like this (with a light warm up and stretching before doing anything else):

• day 1:
      • incline bench presses (3-4 sets, 10 reps each)
      • squats (3-4 sets, 10 reps each)
    • day 2:
      • chin ups (3-4 sets reps to failure ) or barbell rows (3-4 sets, 10 reps)
      • front squats (3-4 sets, 10 reps each)
    • day 3:
      • squats (3-4 sets, 10 reps each)
      • lunges (3-4 sets, 10-16 reps each)

Why 3-4 sets, 10 reps each? Oh, I dunno. The thing is that it is really hard to give a precise formula without actually seeing you perform. But since what you are looking for is for a guideline for learning and experimenting with weights, such a number of reps would be good as any. Make sure to increase the weights a little bit (5lbs for example) every other week.

Again, it's until later that you will need to change this to force your body into adapting.

-- EDIT --

Don't forget to tell us your height and weight dude.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    4/19/2007 8:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you El Macho that is extremely useful. I totally forgot about height and age. I'm 6`3 and 28 in October.

I must admit to being surprised at having just the two exercises per day.

Awesomeweight

Posted On:
    4/19/2007 8:53am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I'm a little confused too, if he is only going 3 times a week, should he not aim for in c~2hours worth of session if time allows?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/19/2007 8:57am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why would you think that, red sauce?

l mch,

What's with the squat redundancy?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/19/2007 10:36am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started a routine based around the exrx.net suggestions I got from Oldman34 who got the site from ElMacho. They have alot of information, good exercise routines and animated gifs. Some clearer videos would be nice but it is a start. So far I do a 2 day split, 4 times a week
    BXABXXA
    A:
    BenchPress (though I may reconsider based on El Macho's comments)
    InclinePress
    ShoulderPress
    Calf Raises
    Squats/Lunges
    TricepPress
    B:
    Hamstrings
    UpperBack (lat pulldowns)
    Abdominals
    UprightRows
    Curls
    BentOverRow

Then I train Judo or BJJ 2-4 times a week.

I am 31 5'10'' 207lbs. So for all my factors, I don't feel this routine is over doing it. From my scant knowlesge, it seems the old saying "Listen to your body" is quite meaningful. My first week I just got the weight amounts right. Now I am just barely pushing out the last reps of the last set.

That's just my two cents.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast