I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    4/18/2007 9:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

F#%&ing Asthma Part Deux

So spring is in the air. I know this because I am breathing spring in and getting asthma when I excercise.

I thought I had this beat as I found I can roll 20 minutes straight during the winter months and besides sucking in general I don't get winded. Well tonight in my first roll I couldn't breathe and had to stop and take a puffer.

Anyways I am not just bitching but looking to see if others have any ideas.

Now that pollen, pollution and other **** will be floating around I'll start taking a antihistamine before class and a shot on my puffer. I am going to try and up my cardio and see if I could work through this. Someone else I spoke with told me the same problem and it eventually went away with heavy cardio work.

Anybody take any supplements or vitamins or anything that helps this. It's pretty annoying.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/18/2007 9:46pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two things helped me deal with the same ****:

1. Hot Yoga (those 90 minutes yoga sessions in a room with dry air heated to over 80F degrees), and
    2. A Vaporizer (not a humidifier, but a vaporizer like these ones from vicks)

I don't do the hot yoga anymore, but in the past, I was suffering from chronic bronchitis.
    Sometimes I would cough blood from the constant coughing. After 3 weeks of doing that, I dunno, I dried things inside and I haven't had that problem ever since.

When I get the flu, congestion, allergies or asthma, I use the vaporizer. I don't put the medicine, just water mixed with some salt. Then I directly breath the vapor through the nose and mouth. This makes you cough and sneeze whatever is in there, and humidifies your bronchii. After a day or two, the symptoms go away (this is particularly true with allergies during the fucking pollen seasons.) :icon_thum
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    4/19/2007 2:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you find the Hot Yoga helped you deal with the symptoms or get rid of the bronchitis.

I don't really get Asthma walking around or even if I am exercising at a steady rate only when I go aerobic and push my cardio. and only it seems in the soring and summer months. So it's almost an allergic reaction rather than asthma

I am allergic to exercise - oh boy!

In fact if I stop for a while it clears up, and from what I understand the body produces it's own natural antihistamine.

My goal is to see if there's some way to naturally increase my bodies antihistamines so this doesn't happen in the first place.

Posted On:
    4/19/2007 2:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.emedicinehealth.com/exerc...article_em.htm

We have what is known as 'exercise-induced asthma' so you don't notice it unless you push yourself.

Sometimes when I'm out riding hard, my lungs don't process the limited amount of oxygen I take in, and my legs feel weak. I used to taste blood in my mouth but that lessened as i got older.

I had it pretty bad when I was a kid, and as the article says, that didn't do me any favors socially.
    Last edited by Neildo; 4/19/2007 2:14pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2007 4:15pm

Style: wah lum kungfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been blessed with asthma due to the pneumonia I got in January, been hellafun! I have an nebulizer as well as the good ole inhaler. Havent found anything that really helps.

Posted On:
    4/19/2007 5:45pm

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had asthma into my mid 20's. It really held me back in martial arts and life. Doing different breathing exercises in Taijutsu, yoga, and MT really helped. Just slowing down my breath when my heart is pumping real good and taking longer, slower, deeper breaths helped. In through the nose, out through the mouth. I haven't needed an inhaler for years.

Posted On:
    4/19/2007 6:00pm

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did I mention that I'm overweight, my cardio sucks, and I still don't need an inhaler now? If I can do it, there's hope for anybody.

Antiquated

Posted On:
    4/19/2007 6:13pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What kind of medications are you taking? Allergy or otherwise? They can really help if you keep up with them. Not just the "rescue inhalers" but rather the preventative kind.

I've had asthma for 10 years or so, and I'm just now getting it under control because of meds.

I hate having to rely on them, but breathing comfortably kicks ass.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/19/2007 6:28pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soju - Joe
    Did you find the Hot Yoga helped you deal with the symptoms or get rid of the bronchitis.

I don't really get Asthma walking around or even if I am exercising at a steady rate only when I go aerobic and push my cardio. and only it seems in the soring and summer months. So it's almost an allergic reaction rather than asthma

I am allergic to exercise - oh boy!

In fact if I stop for a while it clears up, and from what I understand the body produces it's own natural antihistamine.

My goal is to see if there's some way to naturally increase my bodies antihistamines so this doesn't happen in the first place.
    Hey Goju,

To be honest, I haven't had an asthma attack since I was 16... that's over 21 years ago. However, I have suffered from chronic bronchitis, and during the months of March and between August and October (at least here in South Florida), my allergies kick in and I suffer from a stuffed/runny nose and the occasional bronchitis. Back in 95, I had to have my nose operated due to a deviated septum (punches to the nose ain't ok), which aggravated my allergies.

Hot Yoga did get rid of the constant bronchitis and help alleviate the symptoms. For two years I had this cough that didn't go away. I would cough so hard that sometimes I would spit blood (at that point I thought I had TB).

All that went away with three weeks of Hot Yoga. And the allergies still exist but nearly as bad as they used to be. Something changed in me after doing the Hot Yoga, and thank God, for the better, for both bronchitis and the allergies.

When I get my allergies (again, not as severe as before) or when I get the flu or cold, I use the vaporizer. This is more or less what happens when I use the vaporizer (what I've observed).

When I breath the hot vapor through my nose and mouth, I get the urge to cough, but I try not to. I try to breath as deep as possible. After a couple of inhalations or exhalations, I have to cough... and a lot of crap comes out. It does not get rid of the allergies, but helps me deal with it better. The vapor seems to open up my nostril and bronchii.

Other things that help is that I always carry a bottle of saline solution. So, for example, if I pass by a garden that causes my nose and nose to go shitty (like one that's at work on the way of the cafeteria), I use the solution to irrigate the nostrils a couple of times. That seems to open them up again. It seems that the key is to keep the nostrils not just clean, but humidified to counteract or ameliorate the allergic reaction.

Last but not least, I like to do 5-10 minutes of yoga posses (downward and upward facing dogs) while breathing deep. A lot of people focus on the poses themselves, but not on the breathing. Forcing deep breaths forces the nostrils and bronchii to open up (and in my case, a lot of crap comes out after a few minutes of doing that.)

I'm not sure if Hot Yoga would help other people as much as it helped me, but it's worth to try. My case was pretty peculiar. In addition to the allergies and bronchitis, I was doing a lot of dancing back then - training about 15 hours a week plus dancing Thursdays, Fridays and Saturday nights. People pass a lot of germs during dancing practice, and the smoke and crap surely made my bronchitis a lot worse that it would have otherwise been. Whatever was stuck inside irrititating the crap out of my lungs was gone after doing Hot Yoga.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    4/19/2007 8:27pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've got exercise induced asthma. I barely made it out of childhood alive. Really sucked. I grew out of a lot of it as I got older. I'm 26 now, but it bothered me a lot into my early 20s. Gotta tell you the only thing that helped was heavy cardio and pushing myself past needing the inhaler. The more you stay away from the thing the better. That said, keep it around of emergencies. If you don't mind me asking (PM if you like) what medication are you taking? Albuterol sulphate? Are you on any day to day maitenance drugs?

Be careful with them because a lot of them are steriods which don't contribute to the overall health of your lungs. You feel better at the time but you don't get any stronger. Do some research on breathing exercises. Something with breathing and dynamic tension, these can strenghen your lungs. I'm sorry I don't have any specifics. The stuff I used to do I can't explain and its specific to this one art. PM if you like and I'll try and explain but an instructor is what you need. The hot yoga sounds interesting.

The more you push and boost your lung capacity the better it will get, also, make sure you don't confuse ordinary out of breath with an attack or tightness. It took me some time to get to know the difference because when I was younger I only got tight, not out of breath. Weird. Now that my lungs are stronger, I get winded.

If you can find a chinese herbalist, I took their medications for a bit and enjoyed some relief but the **** tastes awful.

But the thing that helped me the most was steady and strenuos cardio. Heavy bag work is good, sprints, anything that doesn't allow a rythm. A breathing rythm will be easier on your lungs and not push them as hard. Plus it can only help your cardio for grappling.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast