Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Featherstone
    Found this little gem on ole Chris,

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=148655697
    From that rather long winded web page:

http://www.christophergeary.com/Geary-2-pop.php

Video of Christopher Geary "moving a line of students from three feet away with his chi"

nuff said

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 1:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chris Geary is trying to Con my family right now. My wife signed our six year old son up for his class. My wife was signing the papers for the six month contract while she had our 4 year old and 1 year old. So she didn't read the contract very closely. She never saw that if you need to send a certified letter to cancel or the contract renews.
    Now Chris is calling threading to take us to small claims court if we don't pay $300 for the next 6 months. He also called my mom's house, and called all the people on our emergency contact like. (I guess him not getting his money is an emergency.)

Here is the lovely letter Chris Geary sent my wife.

Your contract did renew you where informed of that and you int that it would (see par 2) of your contract. It was very clear. Please pay your bill, you have 2 days.

I called your emergency contact because your husband hung up on me. I will continue calling all of the numbers on your membership until your bill is again current.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 2:43pm

Style: wah lum kungfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It will never end, good luck keeping this black hole of a martial "artist" at bay. I'm sure there is something that can be done about it though, hey, worse case scenario, you might have to kick his arse!!

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 2:58pm

Style: boxing, gjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had to deal with a negative tradeline on my credit report awile back. It really was not mine. I was working on getting it removed. Then the collection agency called my relatives after I refused to pay it. When I informed them this was against the law, and that I would be suing them, they removed it very quick and have never called me or any of my relatives since.

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 3:39pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These are the earlier threads on the guy:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44660
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5167
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34479

Quote Originally Posted by joecos
    From that rather long winded web page:

http://www.christophergeary.com/Geary-2-pop.php

Video of Christopher Geary "moving a line of students from three feet away with his chi"

nuff said
    Wow, for once I'd like to see a skinny chi master. Aren't they supposed to eat only bean sprouts or something?

Banished to Fort Worth

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 3:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeurek
    Chris Geary is trying to Con my family right now. My wife signed our six year old son up for his class. My wife was signing the papers for the six month contract while she had our 4 year old and 1 year old. So she didn't read the contract very closely. She never saw that if you need to send a certified letter to cancel or the contract renews.
    Now Chris is calling threading to take us to small claims court if we don't pay $300 for the next 6 months. He also called my mom's house, and called all the people on our emergency contact like. (I guess him not getting his money is an emergency.)

Here is the lovely letter Chris Geary sent my wife.

Your contract did renew you where informed of that and you int that it would (see par 2) of your contract. It was very clear. Please pay your bill, you have 2 days.

I called your emergency contact because your husband hung up on me. I will continue calling all of the numbers on your membership until your bill is again current.)
    IIRC, this appears to violate the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. *If* you qualify as a "consumer" under this act (I'm not sure that you do), then it's my understanding (and any of the number of attorneys present should feel free to correct me) that a "Creditor" may contact family members *ONE TIME ONLY* to find out where you live and what your phone number is.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    That is exactly what I meant sdave. You are dead on, as usual.

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 3:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After we got scammed by Chris Geary my wife contacted the NCMA and hanshi angel
    replied and said that his ranks have been removed, and other governing bodies are also reviewing and removing the ranks they have given him. (I wonder if this will be chapter 11?)

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 3:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he can defy the laws of physics, why would he bother at all to keep the laws of man?

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 4:21pm

Style: boxing, gjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdave
    IIRC, this appears to violate the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. *If* you qualify as a "consumer" under this act (I'm not sure that you do), then it's my understanding (and any of the number of attorneys present should feel free to correct me) that a "Creditor" may contact family members *ONE TIME ONLY* to find out where you live and what your phone number is.

Exactly what I was referring to. And thay can't call AT ALL if they have your current contact info.

The creditboards.com forums have alot of good info about stuff like this.

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 8:05pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdave
    Great point sdave. Here's a link to the act. More people really need to know about it, it is really relevant to some of the McDojo BS that's always on here.

http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fdcpa/fdcpact.htm

In this particular case, the out the Geary guy might have is that he himself is trying a collect a debt owed to him personally. (803 F) If he a) hires a debt collector, b) uses another name when collecting the debt or c) has an employee do it for him, then I believe he has to abide by it.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast