Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Style
    BJJ, MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Massive weight mismatch

I have been training in BJJ for about 4 months now. So far, the one thing I have the most trouble with is rolling with people much larger than me. I weigh 135 pounds, and I regularly have to roll with guys that are about 210 pounds. Most of my techniques seem to be negated just based on the huge size difference alone. I do very, very well against others that are somewhat near my weight, but when it comes to these other guys, it seems that I cant do anything. What is the best way to aproach this situation?

Style
    BJJ - Homeland Security
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lift weights obsessively and train twice as much as they do. That's the formula our gym's best fighter uses and as a blue belt he was putting 200lbs purple belts to sleep.

There's really no answer beyond working harder.

Style
    TKD BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your sparring partners may outweigh you by 70+ lbs, but i'll bet that they can't keep the pace that you can (maybe not now, but in the long run)...so work on developing an aggressive game, and not staying in one place. Always use your hips, and look to change positions frequently. With your weight, you can keep up a good pace w/out petering out too quickly, and you can probably transition positions much better. At some point you'll tire your buddies out, and get the upper hand.

Unless, that is, they are much more experienced than you. Then you're just screwed.

Style
    BJJ, MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the help guys.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia
    Style
    creonte on hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last edited by Shuma-Gorath; 4/24/2007 3:02pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Style
    TKD, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As another little guy and also a grappling N00b I've found that it really really really helps if I stay on top, or even just not directly under someone that size. I feel a lot more comfortable in half guard shrimping onto my hip and kind of out to the side against the heavy guys than I do in full guard with them crushing down on me. Obviously the bigger guys who are more experienced tend to nullify a lot of that strategy, but they also don't try to smother me as often since they don't need to to win.

Style
    Judo & BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a cliche, but it's true: smaller guys need to rely on speed, flexibility and a better gas tank -- and most of all, technique. I'm about 200 lbs and that's how the sub-150 guys usually get me. It also helps if you have long legs -- lanky bastards are a pain in the ass. Work on your guard and work on putting guys back in your guard. Smaller guys seem to end up being more technical than bigger guys, because they have to be.

Style
    BJJ, MT, MMA, 9mm
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    5'8" and 130, I feel your pain. I'm the newest guy in class so I'm not only out-powered, I'm out-skilled as well. I appreciate all advice everyone is giving for dealing with heavier folks and on suggestions for a good direction for my game, since I don't expect to gain more than another 15lbs max (my goal for the year).
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    https://www.fitocracy.com/group/2988/

Style
    FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Speed and shifty hips from smaller opponents give me fits as a 225 pounder. Be quick, and keep moving. Don't let the big boys lay on you. Keep forcing them to adjust, and eventually they'll fall behind. When they do, take advantage of the opportunity.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm 6'2 and 160, so I'm lanky and smaller than just about everyone. I've always had the same problems, but lately, as my cardio increases, I've been taking the aggressive approach because I notice that the big guys tire before me and then they just lie there complacently while you continue to work.

Cardio is a touch thing, though. Take a week off and it drops back down.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last