Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/17/2007 5:55pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Let's Talk Shin Guards

Ok, after a semi-diligent search, I couldn't find anything resembling a discussion on shin guards (plenty of boxing/mma glove reviews, but no shin guard reviews.) And by shin guards, I mean those that protect both the shin and the instep.

So, here I am, posing the question: to those in the know, what type/brand of shin guards do you recommend or prefer? When you make your choice, what factors play in your current preference of shin guards? Price? Protection? Duration? Comfort in using them during sparring? Strictly standup vs MMA training?

I have a pair of cheap-guards, they are more like socks than actual shin guards (and that's the only stuff available at the local krotty stores). Anything more than a tippy-tap and you can feel it with them.

I haven't been to the MMA class for a month, so I don't know what they are doing right now. Last time I was there, we were just getting testing the waters (since the classes were just starting) and we didn't have any form of equipment other than cloth shin guards.

I'm going back next Thursday - maybe I'll need better shin guards, maybe not. But if I am, I would like to know what people with more experience use consistently for sparring and training.

Assuming I end up needing a real pair of guards, I'm inclined to get these by Windy (currently at $60 @ amazon):

http://www.amazon.com/Windy-Pro-Styl...849860&sr=1-34

or these (also by Windy, at $70):

http://www.amazon.com/Combat-Sports-...849984&sr=1-46

****, either way, they are over $60. You get what you paid for, but if there are other good, yet cheaper alternatives, please, I'd love to hear your recommendations.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    4/17/2007 6:04pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the ones from KO fightgear are pretty nice, I have a set. They cost about as much though (last I checked) and they chafe my toe a bit when I wear them. Still you may want to have a look:

http://www.kofightgear.com/shin_guards.htm

Excellent quality and customer service there.

EDIT: Actually they cost a bit less. Mine are pretty damn tough, anyway. You can't really tell they aren't still new.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Posted On:
    4/17/2007 6:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whorian Gracie
    I don't use them. I have my students wear those cheapo $4 cloth ones and they give a little bumper protection. Which is weird. I make everyone wear headgear and gloves. Not footwear or cups. Not sure why.
    Really??? I would have never guessed!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Whorian Gracie
    Anyways. Those cheapo ones are nice cause you can toss um in the washer and they are good as gold.
    Well, that's is true. I use cheap cloth kneepads (the same brand as the shin guards), and they can be washed with easy.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    4/17/2007 6:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had the combatsports.com grappling shinguards. They work well, but the back ends rip apart very easy. If you've ever done any calf exercises, you're way too big to wear them. Putting them on is like promnight all over again.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/17/2007 7:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At this point in time, the cheap-o cloth shinguards are my favorite

They're like $15 and they stay on pretty well in addition to being nice and light. If you're really concerned about padding up your shins, those windy shinguards would be a better choice, but I prefer the lighter padding of the cloth guards.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

poser

Posted On:
    4/17/2007 7:19pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree about the cloth thing. Definitely the most convenient ones out there.

On a side note, do you think these could get any sillier? I've used them, and they provide little to no protection, and they sorta have the Power Rangers look going on. Which is OK, unless you're not into cosplay.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2007 7:33pm

Style: 유도 (Judo)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwoww
    On a side note, do you think these could get any sillier? I've used them, and they provide little to no protection, and they sorta have the Power Rangers look going on. Which is OK, unless you're not into cosplay.
    You don't get it you fool. You need to use the whole set. You need to buy the arm/fist guards and chest protector all in the same color or you will not be able to gain the set abilities. Using each one separtely only adds so many points to defense. Together they will also add to elemental resistance depending on color (red for fire, black for poison, etc.) not to mention increasing defense by 150%. If you only use one component, its power is useless, noob.

As a side note I use these http://www.combatsports.com/detail.aspx?ID=22259 and I fucking hate them. I thought they would come with a buckle or a stretchy velcro band. I am so sorry I bought them. I am waiting for the day for them to wear out so I can buy a new set.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/17/2007 10:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have the thinner windy ones and they are fantastic. lightweight, fast and they really offer a lot of protection for you and the person getting kicked.

don't like the super huge ones that much. too bulky and slow.

i agree that the cloth covered foam ones are better for MMA sparring than the windys, but i really prefer the windys for pure standup.

i have the combat sports grappling shinguards and use them most of the time, cause we ususally do some mma sparring. also they stay in place. i noticed that top contender has a copycat of these at a lower price. probably a good buy as well.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    4/17/2007 10:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm, in that case, I'm going to wait until I have a need for something with thicker padding (probably the thinner windy ones as Ming mentioned).

Right now I have the cloth guards (separate shin and instep) as well as these tiger claw puppies (that look like socks, too), which I bought for like $20-something (not the red space boot, but the black one to the right):

http://www.opentip.com/products/Tige...rd-558956.html

They offer the same protection as the cloth ones, except that they go all the way to the kneecap. After all, the mma classes so far had been jab-jab-kick -> takedown -> no gi grappling with slaps.

I'll take the recommendations and stick with the ones I have for the time being until I need something with more padding.

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 4/17/2007 11:00pm at . Reason: i'm a sucker for details

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/18/2007 3:05am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ugh, I wore those shinguards for a comp once. They suck really really bad. The cloth ones are better by far.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast