Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Knee Injury...

Style
    Taekwondo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Knee Injury...

Hey again.

I have been out of training for almost 2 years due to a horrid knee injury. I tore my acl and miniscus. The repair didn't take. Well, I am better now and just started back on Sat. I wanted to know if there was anyone else who had to take time off? I am just looking for the do's and don'ts...
    I seem to be about 90% compared to what I was...just don't want to risk reinjury.

BJJbot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome aboard, Alyie! The Bullshido staff would welcome you personally, but the thing is they’re busy keeping the peace, so they’ve apointed me, a bot, to pat you on the back and assure you that in no way will you be harmed during your stay here at BS.net. Your views on the martial arts, your philosphy, maybe even your entire reason for being will be challenged, shattered, reorganized, melted down, and forged into something new and shiny, but we swear it will only hurt a little bit… at first.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I blew my knee out, it took a while to get it back to where it was stronger. I'd be careful kicking at first, I hurt my hamstring from kicking because I got to over zealous. Start strengthening around your knee. Use free squats, and start hitting the weights, but don't over do it. Stretching is important too.

Style
    Karate / Judo Noob
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is a discussion on ACL injuries where Meataxe and I give our first hand advice to another unfortunate soul with ACL issues.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52370

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia
    Style
    creonte on hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome. You may want to check the Physical Training, Diet and Health forums. We have a lot of posts on that particular subject, but no consolidated thread on knee injury recovery or prevention. However, you may want to start reading the following post I made a while ago, which has links to other posts on the subject.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...81&postcount=5

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...32#post1250832

Anyways, a lot of guys here have had their ACL and miniscus blew up to crap, and they have had to take some time off (usually 6 to 18 months). In your case, now that you feel ready to start training, the best thing is to wrap your knee at all times. Better be safe (and uncomfortable) than sorry.

Welcome.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Style
    Bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would avoid weights at first and hit the bicycle.

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i did bad things to my knee, but lacking health insurance i just wore a knee brace and did exercises to try to repair it. it still hurts at times. now that i have insurance i will have it looked at when the next flare-up happens.

wearing wrestling style knee pads would be a good idea if you will be doing any ground work.

tom kagan has had serious knee surgery and would be a good source of info for you.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    Taekwondo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for all of the links and advice. I am through with physical therapy but am keeping the same plan to rebuild muscle. Well I am off to class :)
    Also, I noticed not a lot of girls on here are there?

Style
    Taekwondo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha ...

Style
    Boxing, Mom-Jitsu
    Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=Also, I noticed not a lot of girls on here are there?[/quote]

Were you looking for girls? 'Cause if you are here to pick up, you might be waiting a while. Besides, most of the girls here could probably kick your ass (not me, but some of the other ones look tough). Of course, maybe that's your thing....

Page 1 of 2 12 Last