Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2007 11:26am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Goodbye WC, Hello BJJ

So I went through the typical Bullshido timeline of hating everyone here, then capitulating, and eventually seeing the light and joining a BJJ school.

http://www.nfbjj.com/

Intructor is a black belt named Lionel Perez and I think I saw the name Renzo Gracie on the sign above the door.

Some things I noticed last night at my first class:

1. The stuff they taught me on the first day was how the techniques were actually to be used in real life. My first day at the chun was high pak sau and low pak sau and I was told I would never use lps in a fight, but that it taught me sensitivity, and how to punch from the middle. Why learn it the wrong way? Cant you learn those same concepts by doing it the right way? That just makes no sense.

2. I attended the beginner class. They all sparred for around 20 mins of a 1 hour class. I didn't, but will soon. At the chun, there was no sparring for 3 months and beginner class was all drills that weren't how you would actually fight - not techniques at all really. (I understand that striking is different, but couldn't you just do "flowing" sparring or something? or maybe ANY kind of live drill that shows you actual techniques?)

3. It was pretty rigorous. I didn't spar, so it wasn't too big a deal for me, but all of the other guys were pretty spent by the end, and I was told the mixed class was much more intense. I rarely broke a sweat in the chun. and there were fattys all over the class. everyone in the bjj class was pretty fit. even the bigger guys were just big, not fat.

3. Totally informal. The instructor demanded attention from everyone, but it was a very relaxed atmosphere with no lining up with eyes forward and all that crap. and everyone was eager and helful.

So I am hooked. Bought an Atama Kimono last night. Thanks Bullshido freaks, for showing me the way. I am so glad I never bought that wooden dummy.

BJJ Suckee

Posted On:
    4/17/2007 11:36am

Style: Relson GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great post. I'm happy that you've found a school you like. Now begins the torment of thinking you suck for the next year. Good luck. (and your post would have been awesome if you said "Goodbye WC, Helio BJJ."

Posted On:
    4/17/2007 11:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats on leaving that rubbish behind.

Pingo

Posted On:
    4/17/2007 12:13pm

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the BJJihad, man. We ex-chunners need to stick together, y'know.

By the by, feel free to check out our anthem ex-chunning thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2007 12:14pm

Style: Sumo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    Congrats on leaving that rubbish behind.
    How long had you been training Wing Chun? Cos it takes like 10 years to learn then you are the deadly so you probably just didn't studied it for long enough to understand! Lol, I'm just shitting you!!!! The reason I ask is cos I think for some people they have actually realised that what they are doing in WC is BS but cos the have been doing it for soooooo long the just don't want to give up and accept they have wasted 5 years training that crap. It is hard to accept that you are actually still a complete beginner in real combat when you have been training for it for 5 years. It was like when I started BJJ not long ago, I had trained in stand up for a long time and have good stand up and when ever I went to other stand up schools kick boxing, MT, TKD etc. I could always hold my own with most people there. Then when I went to BJJ and was getting tapped every 5 seconds it felt weird to be a beginner again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2007 12:33pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I "trained" in the chun for 2 years. i even quit the school, which had gotten ridiculously soft, and trained hard sparring only with a senior student. I could never get it to work for me, which is a common complaint heard everywhere I look. There wasn't really a "time invested" issue for me, because this was my first forray into the ma world. my pops was a bit of a boxer back in the day, but nothing for me in terms of real training. I just chalk it up to a learning experience.

I also dont mind the frustration of sucking. I am pretty used to it as I am a long distance runner who is painfully slow, I do most things for my personal enjoyment only so I try not to judge myself according to others standards.

Hey Virus, your constant comments (dont you ever work, man?) are one of the key components to my change of heart. I repped you until push-ups were needed.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    4/17/2007 12:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the dark side. Your description sounds like a well run beginner's class. Just as you would expect from a Renzo BB. Enjoy the ride.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2007 12:46pm

Style: Shotokan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Craphonso
    I rarely broke a sweat in the chun. and there were fattys all over the class
    Really? The only WC class I've been to was full of vegan hippies with white-man dreadlocks looking a bit malnourished and smelling of ganja weed! I kinda thought that would be standard!

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    4/17/2007 12:49pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ViciousFlamingo
    Welcome to the BJJihad, man. We ex-chunners need to stick together, y'know.

By the by, feel free to check out our anthem ex-chunning thread.
    yes please do. I like that thread. We're there for ya fella, hang in there. Strangling peepul is fun!