"Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/17/2007 1:50pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wasn't able to see the video, but atienza kali has always impressed me.

Posted On:
    4/17/2007 2:01pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The other videos on the site are good, too. I like that they emphasize progress resistence and incorporate aliveness. The archery stuff is actually pretty nifty, though my only experience with archery has been bowhunting.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    4/24/2007 7:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra
    I wasn't able to see the video, but atienza kali has always impressed me.
    I've looked at a few Atienza Kali DVDs, & thought it was pretty decent for the most part, but I'm still a little unsure about multiple opponent effectiveness.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2007 12:32am

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude
    I've looked at a few Atienza Kali DVDs, & thought it was pretty decent for the most part, but I'm still a little unsure about multiple opponent effectiveness.
    Protip:
    If there are weapons and multiple assailants; get down on your knees and start offering sexual services in exchange for your life.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    4/25/2007 1:36am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Binary
    Protip:
    If there are weapons and multiple assailants; get down on your knees and start offering sexual services in exchange for your life.
    At the very least bring your own weapons to such a conflict . Which means always having something practical on you .

The Archery shown may not fit the bill in that area but the concepts shown are pretty nice . I would put my money on a flock of these guys with bows vs. most any retard of ninjers armed with most anything your average ninjer would have . In Teh Urban or W00dl4nds .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2007 1:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    At the very least bring your own weapons to such a conflict . Which means always having something practical on you .

The Archery shown may not fit the bill in that area but the concepts shown are pretty nice . I would put my money on a flock of these guys with bows vs. most any retard of ninjers armed with most anything your average ninjer would have . In Teh Urban or W00dl4nds .
    That's not even what I'm getting at.
    Ignoring the fact that if someone is going to knife you, you are going to get knifed.
    Unless you are going to carry one of those monstrously huge machete half-breeds around with you
    (Which is REAALLLLY illegal, like everywhere but Oregon),
    or some other very dangerous weapon with considerable reach, you're going to get ganged.

Forget the fact that you have a folder, forget the fact that you've trained for years.
    3+ people descend upon you with weapons, unless you are the badass of the century
    (and some people are, but many are not)
    you're going to be just another blood stain.

This is all barring guns of course, I am talking Melee.
    I was responding to the person talking about "multiple opponent effectiveness." As far as weapon training goes, that's a dream to chase.
    The best weapon you have in that situation (again not considering guns) is the fear that no one in the group coming down on you wants to risk getting within range of your blade, so they just leave you alone.

Even then, odds are slim that you will come out on top. Long distance sprinting is your best bet, and I hate to have to say this, because it's been said like eighty billion times.

(this is more directed at Jim_Jude)

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    4/25/2007 1:53am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like guns and think they would be great if they passed one out to everyone at the post office .

I would rather die trying to escape than falling on my knees and hoping some one in the group is hard up for action . This is where tools like folders , walking sticks , handguns , and baseball bats would be useful .

**** trying to win ... I would be trying to live at this point and that means getting away from what ever cluster I got myself into .

I mean seriously very few people are randomly attacked by groups of people with weapons . You have to piss some people off to be in that situation ... at least in most cases . I honestly don't think it is something to train for .

Third world countries seem to be an exception to this rule , lots of mass machete cases , some seem to be very random .

Prepare for yes but to train for multiples with weapons ? Maybe occasionally . Enough to be aware of differences between fighting one and three because when you add weapons **** gets even more complicated . So I feel as if it shouldn't be a focus , unless it is a skill set you plan on using .

and yes the bow tactics shown are clearly directed towards one target thus they are just common SD and can be the Focus without fear of drifting out into LARP Land .
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 4/25/2007 2:10am at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2007 1:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    I would rather die trying to escape than falling on my knees and hoping some one in the group is hard up for action .
    You do know I was JOKING right?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast