Posted On:
    4/16/2007 10:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

looking for advice on staph infection on finger

Greetings, all.

I recently got a red swelling on my finger that started to get worse and turn strange colors, and saw a doctor today finally. They lanced and drained the finger, gave me prescription topical antibiotic, and told me to soak it three times a day in hot water, keep changing the dressing on the wound and try to keep it elevated. They were not specific when I asked them about judo and jiujitsu, and refused to give me a guideline for how long to stay out if at all. I resolved to not train for five days to let the finger heal before going back to grappling, but I've now missed one workout and I'm already getting pissed off about not training. Anyone have any bad experience with just taping the **** out of it and training anyway? Right now I'm leaning towards not missing any more workouts this week so i don't go fucking crazy, but I don't want to have to go back to the doctor or **** my finger up worse. I normally train every day except sunday.

All advice and flames much appreciated. I have you bullshido guys to thank for causing me to go to the doctor in the first place, which was clearly the right thing to do since this could have gotten serious if untreated.

thanks,

-lafe

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    4/16/2007 10:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Assuming you take care of it and take your meds, you'll be fine.

This sort of **** happens due to lazy assholes that are unable or unwilling to thoroughly clean mats and clean themselves.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2007 10:43pm

Style: Wrestling and Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Same exact thing happened to me last year from weightlifting, in the middle finger. Could have lost my hand because of how long I waited to get it looked at though (I thought I had just sprained it or something). Just follow Equipose's advice and take it easy on that finger until they remove the dressing and stitches. Once they do that, it pretty much means you're in the clear.

Posted On:
    4/18/2007 3:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to let everyone know the outcome, I trained in both judo and BJJ last night, but when the BJJ guys found out I had staph, I'm now banned from the mat until the wound is closed, regardless of how I bandage it. **** staph. Clean your mats, shower, and clean your workout clothes, everyone!

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/18/2007 5:16pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why on Earth did you go to train with staph on your finger? If you don't care about your health, fine. But for the love of God, be considerate with your training partners.

First things first, your wound is not going to heal in 5 days. No way jose. It was cut open and surgically drained. You have been put on antibiotics. That cut, even though is in your finger, believe it when I'm telling you, it is going to tax your body.

I'd give it about 2 weeks before it closes. Still, it will be tender and prone to tear. Also, keep in mind that it's in your hands. You touch your face, your eyes, your mouth... ****, even your ass when you wipe yourself. Be reasonable and wait until it closes.

There are physical activities that you can do in the meantime. Running and sprinting comes to mind. Even then, I'd be cautious. I'm sure they gave you a shitload of antibiotics, so don't push it.

I had an staph infection on my left calf, more than 8 weeks ago, and I have not been able to grapple or lift weights. The wound took almost 4 weeks to close, yet it is still tender. Not only that, the antibiotics wreaked havoc on me. Very debilitating **** for a stupid, small little wound if you ask me.

So from recent experience, I'm telling you to be patient and cautious. Just wait.

I consulted with the guys at my school, and I will go tomorrow to train since it's now close (and my body free of staph thanks to the antibiotics). But I'll be taping my left calf with sports tape just in case. You should have done the same and consult with your partners before exposing them to an staph infection.

Just be patient and wait. Don't push it. Wounds can reopen, and, if you are careless, they can get re-infected. Check this thread and you'll see some pretty interesting pictures halfway and at the end of it: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52135

My suggestion for you is to first get a full surgical scrub with hibiclens if you haven't done it already (make sure you don't let it get to your eyes and ears, though.)

Then, from now on (and specially after training) take daily showers with an antimicrobial soap (Dial for example). Don't worry about drying the skin. Dial doesn't dry it that much. And if you have extra sensitive skin, just buy a skin humidifying cream or shower gel to apply after showering and scrubing with the antimicrobial soap.

Also, in your gym bag, make sure carry a hand sanitizer (pureil) and put it in your face and uncovered areas after grappling. Also carry a few bandaids, cotton balls/wipes, and an antibiotic cream like polysporin (or merthiolate) - you never know when you need to take care of a mat burn or scratch...

... and get the gym owners to clean the **** out of their mats.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 4/18/2007 5:20pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    4/19/2007 9:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Any

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    staph infections are not primarily spread by casual contact. There are significant risk factors that increase the chance of acquiring a staph infection, including crowded living conditions, lack of cleanliness, and exposure to contaminated surfaces and sharing personal items. These risk factors, unfortunately, are more common in correctional facilities or among the homeless, making it difficult if not impossible to entirely control the spread of staph infections.
    If maneuvering another person in close quarters on a mat doesn't fit into that paragraph I'd be fuckin amazed. Especially in a gym. Especially on a sweaty gym mat. Especially with varying degrees of personal hygiene.

Is the above a scare tactic? Definitely, but a sensible one.

Staph isn't something to be macho about. Until the infection's gone, don't even consider returning to your normal routine with a partner.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2007 3:03pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry for bumping an older thread, but on staph and MRSA,
    www.staphaseptic.com

I know someone there and they're working on a spray too, could save a bunch of pain.