Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Charlie Don't Surf

Posted On:
    4/18/2007 4:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More news from the Dojang Digest - Pelligrini was dropped by the World Taekwondo Association for not meeting the technical standards set by the association. I'm looking into getting a copy of the newsletter and will see if I can post it if I get it.

I am still trying to find out what his Kukkiwon rank is.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/18/2007 11:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Tae-Ninjitsu Mu Sool

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pelligrini teaches some army infantry units his combat hapkido system......but thats only as a guest teacher.

i dunno how that would qualify him as being one of the "founders" of the combatives system for the military.

i dont recall ever seeing any of those hapkido techniques in the combatives training manual either or practicing any of them

Posted On:
    5/05/2007 3:19am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Issues with Pellegrini aside, the Combat Hapkido Core System itself is not really that different from Traditional Hapkido. The main differences is they do not use high fancy kicks, less throws, and no hyuns/katas.

To address the issue of less techniques: Combat Hapkido teaches all of the main locks of Hapkido, but just not as many variations of the same thing over and over again.

In all reality, how many wrist grab defenses does a person need to know? :)

I study Hapkido, and use techniques from several Hapkido Associations, and they are all seamless. I think its silly to put a lot of creedence in knowing 3000 techniques to do a relatively few things.

As a System of Self Defense, its a pretty good style that addresses Joint Locks. I would recommend that a student also cross train in some other things to help round them out.

I am no longer a part of the ICHF or Combat officially, but I still train in Hapkido, so I am not trying to sell the style.

Take Care!

Play Safe, Play for Real, and Have Fun at What you are doing!

Charlie Don't Surf

Posted On:
    5/30/2007 12:48pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi_Osiris
    Pelligrini teaches some army infantry units his combat hapkido system......but thats only as a guest teacher.
    Looks like he's been out and about.

http://www.tehachapinews.com/home/ViewPost/23124

Is he actually under contract, or his he doing this pro-bono? From what I've read regarding his weak Hapkido, seems like the Army could find a whole lot better if they wanted Hapkido instruction (JR West, Hal Whalen, Michael Thomlinson to name a few). Looks like he's milking those gruelling three weeks for all they're worth.

Monkey Knife Fight!

Posted On:
    5/30/2007 3:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's probably not under contract, it's probable political. Individual units can use their funds to bring in any instructor they want to teach what ever they want. It's highly possible that the commander or sergeant major of the unit that he instructs is one of his students.

TKD Instructor

Posted On:
    5/30/2007 4:32pm

Style: TaeKwonDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Believe it or not, he actually enjoys helping people.

Charlie Don't Surf

Posted On:
    6/01/2007 7:46am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Paging Asia

Any way someone here with military connections, especially within the Combatives program, can verify this or not?

Reply-To : the_dojang@martialartsresource.net
    Sent : Thursday, May 31, 2007 11:45 AM
    To : the_dojang@martialartsresource.net
    Subject : [The_Dojang] Re: P-Diddy

Yes, GM Pellegrini has been assisting 10th MTNDivision develope their Combatives program for severalyears. 3rd BCT, 10th MTN recently flew him toAfghanistan in 06 to provide additional training totheir deployed units & soldiers. 10th MTN has beenextremely pleased with this program. The individualwho is in charge of developing and running thiscombatives program with GM Pellegrini is the CommandSergeant Major (CSM) for 3rd BCT, 10th MTN. Thisparticular CSM is highly respected and served in the75th Ranger Regiment and as an operator in 1SFOD-D. Iimagine the 10th MTN Combatives program based uponCHKD will be in place at FT Drum for a long time. 10thMTN probably has the best combatives program availablein the Army from what I've seen in the past 18 years.

K. Myers
    MAJ, USA

I'm especially interested in the claim that the 10th MTN has the best combatives program in the Army and that it is based on Pellegrini's CHKD.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    6/01/2007 2:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not the first time I've heard about that trip to Afghanistan, and there were photos. I was . . . . surprised, but I'm no HKD expert.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    6/01/2007 5:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TEA
    Any way someone here with military connections, especially within the Combatives program, can verify this or not?

I'm especially interested in the claim that the 10th MTN has the best combatives program in the Army and that it is based on Pellegrini's CHKD.
    Some jerk tried to use this guy as proof of Hapkido being uber great.

ITS TOTAL BS. Anyone who really knows the Combatives circle can tell you who have badass programs, and Drum is definitely NOT the best. Right now I would say Fort Bragg has the best program going.

Now my brother is stationed at Drum and he mentioned Pelligrini talked a good game but after going through what I teach here and even coming to train with me at Ground Zero he says its much better than Drum.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    6/01/2007 7:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whorian Gracie
    Not to get sidetracked or anything, but how does that work in the military for combatives instruction? Does the military pull civilians to get stuff or do they hire from within?
    There has always been an offical program, at least since WWII, but the priority of the program changes from time to time. During wartime it gets higher priority because pple remember the even with guns we can still find ourselves in a close quarters fight. During "peacetime" it goes more by the wayside.

Civilians have always been brought in to teach but the level of instruction can range greatly. Most pple don't really know dick about what is good MA and what is Bullshido. Anyone with a "Black Belt/Sash" could find their way training a military unit. However the training is more a novelty and not official. Thats why its funny when a TKD school claims to be the official instructor of X unit. What that really means is they may have come and did a class or two, usually as an alternative to PT, and thats it.

Now civilians can get certified in MACP and often you will have some Kenpo school have a guy who is Level 1 (which is basic BJJ) then add their Kenpo material and BAM OFFICIAL MILITARY MA!!!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast