Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/15/2007 9:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing wrong with checking out the kenpo.

*hears howls of outrage*

Disclamer: It will probably suck, but 1 of the kenpo here does cross train mma and bjj. And maybe there is good kenpo out there, after all, no one can beat up the infamous Clyde, known as He Who Kicks Bullie Asses (at the throwdowns - for the n00bs).

Anyway, work out. It all adds up. Find a fun place.
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 4/15/2007 9:09pm at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2007 9:13pm

Style: Taiji for now, damnitall

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm kind of curious why you think you "only have 4 months." You could take advantage of your free time to check out a bunch of styles while you're on summer break -- go to a whole bunch of schools, take a trial class or three, check out the vibes and the cool toys in the dojos. Then pick one you like, and look for a school near your college to continue your training. Why stop when you go back to school? You have the WHOLE REST OF YOUR LIFE to train, not just 4 months.

My .02, worth what you paid for it. Don't let artificial timelines dictate your choices.

~yanta

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/15/2007 9:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by yanta
    I'm kind of curious why you think you "only have 4 months."
    ~yanta
    After several decades in Ke?po, brains tend to rot. That Whorian Guy has more Ke?po than you can shake a bo at.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2007 11:52pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do/ Gumdo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by yanta
    I'm kind of curious why you think you "only have 4 months." You could take advantage of your free time to check out a bunch of styles while you're on summer break -- go to a whole bunch of schools, take a trial class or three, check out the vibes and the cool toys in the dojos. Then pick one you like, and look for a school near your college to continue your training. Why stop when you go back to school? You have the WHOLE REST OF YOUR LIFE to train, not just 4 months.

My .02, worth what you paid for it. Don't let artificial timelines dictate your choices.

~yanta
    Well my school does have a martial arts class so I do that doing the school year. I'm just looking for something during the summer months. My little brother is going to this kenpo place and says he likes it. So ill probably try a class.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2007 12:23am

Style: Taiji for now, damnitall

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfHound
    Well my school does have a martial arts class so I do that doing the school year. I'm just looking for something during the summer months. My little brother is going to this kenpo place and says he likes it. So ill probably try a class.
    Ah. Gotcha. In that case, I'd have to say the same thing as patfromlogan -- just go find a cool place to work out and have some fun. Knowledge or training is never wasted, I think.

~yanta

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    4/16/2007 1:22am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    East Coast as a location is pretty vague. What state and own are you in? There are a few of us from the East Coast around here that could help.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2007 4:58pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do/ Gumdo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1
    East Coast as a location is pretty vague. What state and own are you in? There are a few of us from the East Coast around here that could help.
    Anywhere between West Chester PA and Hockessin DE will work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2007 12:38am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfHound
    I heard NYU has a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu class and my friend attended it for a few months. Don't know how much he learned but we'll see this summer.

Other than that the self-defense classes taught at colleges, which I've seen, are a joke, complete waste of time, and moreover probably do more harm than good. The TKD club in my school has something called "no contact sparring" which they buy gear for and is as much as they do sparring wise. A guy who participated in that club rolled with me (Judo noob) and my friend (BJJ noob) and was hooked in an hour.

Unless your school has something really respectable, preferrably affiliated, or your going to work out with the wrestling team, I say find something outside of it. The college has too many qualms about "possible injury" for there to be any decent MA clubs, at least in the cases I have seen.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12