Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2007 12:27am

Style: Jabs & Cross Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What is your opinion of Shorin-Ryu Seibukan

Gentlemen and Ladies,

Recently a colleague of mine left his wallet in my car after hitching a ride from me. Something in his wallet caught my attention (honest to God, I did not purposely go through his wallet). Anyway, I saw a call card in his wallet.

It reads, " The [name of country] SHORIN-RYU SEIBUKAN KARATE ASSOCIATION

Instructor: Mr So and So, 7th Dan Karate (International Instructor) and 5th Dan Kobudo

My purpose of this thread is to find more information regarding this school. I did some search via Google and it says that its lineage is from Zenpo shimabukuro.

Is it McDojo/Strip mall Krotty?
    How alive are their training method, full contact/point sparring or are they just Kata kata kata?

p/S: BTW, my colleague is not the person in the card. I think he may be a student of that particular teacher. The said dojo is really close to my residence and I am tempted to check it out.

GMW

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2007 8:09pm

Style: sukuanaihayashi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't speak for the dojo near you, but the style is solid. It’s also traditional and to many it is a point of pride that classes are still taught just as Zenryo taught so expect to learn kata (only 8 with a few optional) and full contact sparring is required for green belts and up if you are in a legit dojo. (White, 1,2,3 /Green, 1 / Brown, 1 / Black +)

Seibukan is the name of the school founded by Zenryo Shimabukuro, it means "House of the Holy Arts" The name of the style is "Sukunaihayashi" and it's a branch of Shorin-ryu of the Chotoku Kyan lineage (both names mean “small pine forest” referring to the Shaolin temple from which it has it’s roots, like all Okinawan Karate aka China-Hand). Kyan only taught 2 people his whole system and one died early on; the other was Zenryo (no relation to Tatsuo Shimabukuro of Isshinryu).

There are 2 Seibukan associations and both were founded by Kyoshi Edward Takae.(the only person to receive a “Shihan Menjo” from Zenryo). The first was the International Okinawa Shorin-ryu Seibukan Karate–Do Association, then after years of putting up with little but constant changes to the style by Zenryo's son Zenpo, Takae opted to leave and form another association in 1988 called the Junsui Seibukan Karate-So Association. (Junsui = Pure)

Foot note
    Edward Takae is 81 and still teaches/oversees Karate classes 3 days a week in his back yard to a hand full of students (including my self) as well as his Sensei's and black belts from around the country who visit throughout the year.
    Last edited by sukunaihayashi; 4/17/2007 11:12pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2007 12:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sukunaihayashi
    I can't speak for the dojo near you, but the style is solid. It’s also traditional and to many it is a point of pride that classes are still taught just as Zenryo taught so expect to learn kata (only 8 with a few optional) and full contact sparring is required for green belts and up if you are in a legit dojo. (White, 1,2,3 /Green, 1 / Brown, 1 / Black +)

Seibukan is the name of the school founded by Zenryo Shimabukuro, it means "House of the Holy Arts" The name of the style is "Sukunaihayashi" and it's a branch of Shorin-ryu of the Chotoku Kyan lineage (both names mean “small pine forest” referring to the Shaolin temple from which it has it’s roots, like all Okinawan Karate aka China-Hand). Kyan only taught 2 people his whole system and one died early on; the other was Zenryo (no relation to Tatsuo Shimabukuro of Isshinryu).

There are 2 Seibukan associations and both were founded by Kyoshi Edward Takae.(the only person to receive a “Shihan Menjo” from Zenryo). The first was the International Okinawa Shorin-ryu Seibukan Karate–Do Association, then after years of putting up with little but constant changes to the style by Zenryo's son Zenpo, Takae opted to leave and form another association in 1988 called the Junsui Seibukan Karate-So Association. (Junsui = Pure)

Foot note
    Edward Takae is 81 and still teaches/oversees Karate classes 3 days a week in his back yard to a hand full of students (including my self) as well as his Sensei's and black belts from around the country who visit throughout the year.
    Thanks man.

I am really tempted to look at this art as a second Budo. Judo is good no doubt as a fighting art, no bullshido, good solid workable technique... but it comes at a price. I am getting injured and this is such a darn thing to live with it. Yeah, in this aspect... Judo Suxs! That is why I am looking for something that is solid sans bullshido that is trainable to old age. I want something for the long-haul.

I will definitely check out this dojo. May even phone the instructor and enquire about class time soon.

GMW.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2007 1:08am

Style: sukuanaihayashi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another foot note

Edward Takae is a bonafide badass. He served 2 (maybe 3) tours in Vietnam as a sergeant in the Special Forces A-Team and he was in his 40’s. He's got some great stories but one of my favorites is about the Hmong. They hired them as “body guards” for $5 a month, each member in the unit had 2 that never left their sides. Anyways when things were slow he would teach all of them (Sukunaihayashi ) Seibukan Karate right there in the jungle. I can’t help but think about the possibility of a new fighting style evolving somewhere on a remote Vietnam mountain top that’s rooted in Takae’s old jungle dojo. :)

Posted On:
    4/18/2007 1:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAB MY WRIST
    That is why I am looking for something that is solid sans bullshido that is trainable to old age. I want something for the long-haul.

I will definitely check out this dojo. May even phone the instructor and enquire about class time soon.

GMW.
    BJJ. Still high intensity, but no slams into the mat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2007 1:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    BJJ. Still high intensity, but no slams into the mat.
    I would my friend, however, I do not live in major city, hence access to BJJ is non-existent. Martial arts is limited to the standard/usual sport wushu, sport judo, Okinawan Karate, Sport TKD, Yoshinkan Aikido flavour in my little hamlet. He he he... there are not even any public boxing gym in my town... can you believe it?

Of these wushu and judo are actually only taught to school going students (up to high-school) .... and the reason I attend the class is because I personally know the Sensei. I mean, if I were to walk in blindly... I don't think I could join them. Serious. There are no adult class actually.

GMW

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2008 1:20am

Style: None Yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Resurrecting an ancient thread.

What do you all think of this school?

http://www.akseibukan.org/index.html

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/22/2008 2:02am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mods

Why is this thread still in MABS instead of the Japanese styles forum?

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    12/22/2008 2:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because no one cares anymore.