Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 6:59pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Push ups using a Bo/staff

I found this interesting clip on youtube where a dude is showing several variations of sit ups and push ups using a Bo.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=neN_uDYeQTA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neN_uDYeQTA

I'm more interested in the push ups since I like knuckle push ups. Normally I have to switch from push ups with my index and finger knuckles to push ups with the lower three knuckles (say one set with the former, and then one set with the later).

After watching the clip, I decided to give them a try (in my case with a 1" rattan stick and with a 1.5" dowel... the 1.5" worked better for me btw.) What I liked about it was that by gripping the dowel

1. all four knuckles get aligned to the floor, and
    2. makes (or at least, makes feel) the wrist to be more stable (my left wrist is shitty so this change was good.)

Any thoughts?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

poser

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 7:14pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very interesting. Not sure about using a stick/dowel/bo/staff/etc, but I was intrigued by the foot position. I'd always learned to do pushups with my feet together. But it would be nice if he told us which muscle groups each one worked, though, so we didn't have to try each one or figure it out. :icon_joke

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 7:21pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, that was a bit weird. It may be a precautionary measure for people trying knuckle push ups the first time. Keeping the foot separated gives greater stability - perhaps the people in the clip do not want people to fall on the back of their wrists.

It's akin to Rhadi Fergunson in his bodyweight exercise DVD. He's explaining jumping push ups and he makes a point for people not to clasp (in case someone misses the clap and bend his wrists.)

Going back to those knuckle push ups, once a person is accostumed to those, he should have no problem bringing the foot closer and make the exercise more challenging.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 7:50pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wide-foot position is also good for Hindu Pushups / divebombers

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2007 2:47pm

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've tried out the side pushups, and I think they are fine, but I'm not quite sure if one NEEDS the bar in order to do these pushups at all.

I also tried some pushups with the palms facing towards my head, and that was a bit different, but i don't know if they are any better than regular pushups... I'd have to do them for a couple of weeks straight, and not do regular pushups or anything to find out.

But, I'm a fan of bodyweight exercise.

Thanks, for the link.

Posted On:
    4/24/2007 3:42pm

Style: Lethargy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judah Maccabee
    Wide-foot position is also good for Hindu Pushups / divebombers
    Lol I love that name.

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    4/24/2007 7:34pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho

Any thoughts?
    I wonder if it would help with bench pressing. I've found switching to sessions of push-ups and bodyweight stuff from time to time (closed chain) instead of my usual upper body workout (freewights and barbell- open chain) helps with getting through lifting plateaus, and I wonder if this particular form might even be more helpful. Might be an interesting experiment.