Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2007 9:30pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gladiators Academy

Gladiators Academy has Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai Kickboxing, MMA, Boxing, and even a semi-regular Russian Sambo class.

The facility is pretty big and well-equipped. There's a ring and an octagon, as well as mats and plenty of bags.

The teachers are really knowledgeable and personable. We have a BJJ black belt, as well as some accomplished non-black belts who teach classes. All of the teachers are very experienced in their art. The Russian Sambo instructor is a national champion in his weight class. They Muay Thai instructor has been teaching for (I think) over two decades.

Overall, it's a really fun place to train. There's always something going on every night of the week, and even if the class you want isn't in session on a given night, there are people who just show up looking to spar or hit mitts with you.

No bullshido here--just solid mixed martial arts, with an emphasis on combat sports more so than self-defense, but without ignoring self-defense, either.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2007 2:44pm

Style: Muay Thai / Tae Kwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds very good. I'm impressed by the Octagon in the gym!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2007 7:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KhanomTom
    Sounds very good. I'm impressed by the Octagon in the gym!
    I believe it's only a 20'x20' octagon as opposed to 30'x30', but it's still a really cool tool that would be very helpful in preparing for an MMA fight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2007 8:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Update: the Sambo coach, Doug Fournet, just won the national Sambo championship...again. He is now the 5-time national champ. He also gives privates for about $40/hour, which is pretty awesome considering he is also a judo black belt and BJJ purple belt. Most world-class grapplers want hundreds of dollars per hour.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 11:25pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doug is an awsome guy! He has fought in our (ASA) nationals, the Battle of Brooklyn, the USAW nationals, and just about every other sambo event he can. He has competed in more countries than most people can name - just count the flags on his leg! The man is the real deal. Say hi to Doug for me. Let's see if he can take our nationals again in October :)