226247 Bullies, 3764 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/16/2002 3:12pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

WuShu

Do you consider WuShu to be...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/16/2002 4:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, having done "wushu" for some 20 years I should say something here.

1 - wushu is divided broadly in contemporary routines, contemporary combat and traditional stuff (aka kungfu).

Now, contemporary routines is an artistic version of chinese martial arts, good for the shows and movies mostly, but as a sport it does make you very physically fit giving you great flexibility, agility, strenght, therefore stuff you could then use for combat. Contemporary combat is a competitive sport also, but being full contact and including throws and clinches it does make for a better than average martial application of techniques. Furthermore, there is a nasty version of it as taught to chinese military which is very combat reality focused. The traditional stuff can vary from all out combat styles (from long range mostly kicking styles to very short range and even some semi-wrestling style) to health and balance based stuff like taichi and qigong.

That's it, in VERY simplified terms.

So which aspect of wushu is the poll about??
    Rethorical questions aside, the right balance of the above can make you a pretty formidable martial artist. Of course, if you only focus on one aspect then you will be limited. For example, contemporary routines-only students like the pro demo teams we often see will have great flashy skills but will be little more then a martial gymnasts.

C

Edited by - chinpau on September 16 2002 16:45:23

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2002 3:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's good for tv and wowing little kids, but it's useless against a reality based art like, Muy Thai, Wrestling, Judo, BJJ, boxing.......

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2002 3:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Waza...ignorance isn't something to be proud of. Read my post above. You are talking about one little aspect of wushu.
    Maybe that's all the wushu you've ever seen.....but does that make wushu bad or just you ignorant??
    :)
    C

Titan

Posted On:
    9/17/2002 3:57am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd much rather do gymnastics than Wushu.
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2002 1:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, I think Featherweight has a good point that maybe many of us only see one side of Wushu. I once had a chance to see a tournament of Shanda, which roughly means free fight and is the combat version of Wushu. I saw punching, kicking, clinching, joint locking, and wrestling. I may not be a martial art expert but I was impressed that how practical Wushu is in terms of application. Also, I've heard some Wushu fighters complaining that some skills are prohibited because they are fatal. In short, I think it may be premature to make any conclusions before seeing the application part of Wushu.

Have a nice day!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2002 1:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the best of my knowledge wushu includes a fighting aspect called san shou (at least the wushu federations oversee the san shou events now). This makes wushu as legit as any other martial art that includes forms, and sparring.

As far as the legitmacy of san shou, is basically kickboxing with throws. That works for me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2002 6:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I've heard some Wushu fighters complaining that some skills are prohibited because they are fatal."

I get the impression that these Wushu fighters are bloodthirsty.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2002 1:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ignorant??? That's funny.

You probably think Dim Mak works too.

Wu Shu in any aspect I have seen doesn't appear to be a practical art. It looked good on Crouching Tiger/Hidden Hampster, but you can't sit there and say that it is an eefective street self defense system. Especially against a good street fighter.

I've wrestled, done judo, and BJJ now for most of my life, along with some boxing. There is no other alternative in those situations.

Go back to watching king fu theatre.

Wazzzzzzzzzzzzaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2002 4:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dim mak is real, not to the extent that jet li does it but it does exist. Don't belive it? Go read up on acupuncture, there are areas on the body that an acupuncturist cannot stick the needles into because it will cause death or other effects.

Spitting blood

clears up reality

and dream alike.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast