Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2002 1:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Chi Farce

Now I know why so many people make fun of CHI. Check out the "chi demonstrations" on this web site from Master Chu.

http://itcca.org/English.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2002 7:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm an atheist, so Chi/Qi/whatever you want to call it has been a little hard for me to buy.

I've heard some excellent secular definitions of chi though that are entirely logical.

If all else fails, you could ask an atheist physicist who studies chi or chi gung? He could probably give a good answer.
  3. Michael

Posted On:
    10/20/2002 2:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What the **** does atheism have to do with Chi?

Yes, this is a total bogus demonstration. I've examined the footage and knowing basic application of some of the techniques you can tell that somethings not right here...take a look at the foot work on some of the techniques. I'm pretty sure some tai chi masters would laugh at this video.

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    10/20/2002 6:21am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ill give you a good definition of Chi:

An ordoless, tastless, invisible and undetectable FORCE that can make the impossible possible but can never be measured by any scientific means whatsoever.

Amen.

"The only "ancient" art that's worth a damn is Wrestling.
    Pretty much everything else that is called "ancient" is just masturbation without touching your genitals." -Phrost
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2002 11:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like god or something similar to me. Probably why I only half buy into Chi.

"I don't "spar." I hurt, kill and maim" -Some guy who I wanted to spar with once, I think. Good guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2002 12:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Edited by - yanewbs on October 20 2002 12:42:35

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2002 6:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In Chinese medical theory chi is one of four bodily humours, the other three being blood(xue) jing(vital essence) and jin (fluid). Breath supposedly controls chi and a chi gung "master" can move his chi to areas of the body for health etc. If one wants to find out about chi ask a qualified chinese medical doctor.
    Concepts such as shooting ones chi and empty force are absurd theories that defy the basic laws of physics. The idea that chi has anything to do with fighting is beyond me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2002 4:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard of chi refer to breath, energy or cling (stick). Chi sao from Wing Chun means clinging or sticking arms. I've done a little soft Chi Kung (I think it means cultivation of energy). Soft Chi Kung seems be sets of exercises to relax and stretch the body like Yoga and involves abdominal breathing. I've seen mental Hard Chi Kung as well which is where you smash bricks with your head, push spears into your throat and have bamboo smashed into your nuts. That kind of thing and stuff where you knock someone down with your chi from a distance is of course BS. Unfortunately this makes the whole chi thing look silly.

If you watch Rickson Gracie's Choke, you'll see him do some weird abdominal breathing exercises. This is similar to Chi Kung breathing. He says "If you control your breath, you control yourself".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2002 4:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    british ninja-
    Yes breath control can have alot to do with fighting. For example striking when you exhale and defending when you inhale. Control of the breath is paramount to peace of mind. Relaxation of the mind and body improves coordination and fluid execution of technique(hsing yi ,bjj and judo among others). Perhaps this is how chi kung forms got mixed into systems of combat.
    Once again 'chi' (a nebulous term even in China) as defined as energy in the body plays no role in being able to fight.

Titan

Posted On:
    10/22/2002 5:36am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a breathing technique, nothing more.

It will not enable you to fly or fire a kamehameha.
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast