Page 5 of 123 FirstFirst 12345 67891555105 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/18/2007 12:50am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJonas
    Maybe I missed something in the other thread. Was Robson tapped by Whites and Blues?
    This is a reference to the infamous dojo storming of RPFS by some Pedro Sauer guys in which Robson was tapped by lower belts, including at least one white.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/18/2007 8:56am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckofDeath
    This is a reference to the infamous dojo storming of RPFS by some Pedro Sauer guys in which Robson was tapped by lower belts, including at least one white.
    Wow, if true, that is simply amazing. Unless your some BJ Penn or Ryan Hall phenom your everyday Blue belt (I can't even fathom a normal White belt with say 6 months training) IS NOT going to tap a Brown Belt, let alone a BB who should have at least 3 years more mat time. Interesting.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    4/18/2007 9:34am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyS
    The idea that only a 3rd Degree black belt can award someone else a black belt irks me. Not that I want to be awarding other people black belts, but can you imagine saying to Mario Sperry (4 time world Champion) or Murilo Bustamante "Sorry, you're not qualified to award someone a black belt"? It seems to me to be well-intentioned, however it doesn't account for people like Sperry or other members of BTT who weren't awarded higher grades because they split from Carlson.
    Well, on one hand I can understand the quality control issues involved with someone who gets his belt and all of a sudden can award black belts. I guess it's a way to keep the wannabee belt sellers to a minimum by making sure they are commited to the time in BJJ to award such rank. Going by Gracie Barra and Brazilian Federations standards, you would have to be a black belt for 9 years before you are able to award rank.

The other side is what you mention as well. From what I've researched, technically, you are to get your stipes every 3 years as long as you are consitantly competing or teaching. It would be assumed that if you are not doing these things, they you shouldn't be getting promoted (wink...Robson if this is the case). The selling point being, you would need to be under an organization under someone of higher rank in order to get that rank. I personally think 1 or 2 may be good, but I didn't originally come up with the structure and plus, I'm just a blue belt so what do I know.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2007 11:39am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey guys, I am new to the forum but have been following the ongoing issues about Robson for the last two years. The reason why this is so interesting to me is because I used to work for him and know him personally. I have been following MMA since I was kid and was excited to find out that my new employer was involved in BJJ. We began discussing his background and credentials the first day I began working for him. I first felt horrible for Robson when I found out about all the things that were being written online in regards to being a fraud because, outside of work, he is a very nice guy. I thought DOD in particular was an asshole and could not believe that he was trashing Robson. I now realize that he has a legit case. There are a few things that I can def confirm. Robson did suffer a debilitating injury. I have heard that issue mentioned many times on here and it is def true. Aside from the injury Robson witnessed to his back, he suffered several other serious injuries while I working for him. To continue doing the type of work that we did at the time, with the injuries that he had showed me, that if nothing else, he is one tough SOB. Of course, you have to take my word for it. I had several other things I wanted to mention but I have run out of time. I could not stay out of this discussion any longer and will be posting again soon.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2007 12:17pm

Style: random

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "After having had bullshit called on Marco "Macaco" Aurelio, Robson dropped the Marco and the Aurelio and now simply lists "Macaco" as one of those under whom he has trained."

Amazing. I'm sure this clown has no problems with it being intentionally confusable with Jorge "Macaco" Patino since no "Macaco" Aurelio exists in the BJJ world as far as anyone can verify (borne out by Robson rapidly removing any trace of this guy or Maurice Sakata as soon as he could hawk the certs from Rigan etc.). Would it even do any good to have Macaco Patino confirm this guy is not known to him? All this guy will do is remove the Macaco reference and rest on the Rigan/Mansur documents which are more than likely obtained on top of subterfuge/name-similarity-confusion to begin with.

Worst case if he cant be exposed in print or online then a regular raid of real whites and blues to wreck him on his most popular nights every time he pops up somewhere would do the trick until he either disappears or renounces his fake rank and cops to being a blue or whatever.

A black belt being tapped by a white during a full on dojo storm/credibility challenge situation (and not, let's say, light rolling to build a guy's confidence) is a screaming red light.

Posted On:
    4/18/2007 12:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mmafan3450
    We began discussing his background and credentials the first day I began working for him
    So when did you first begin working for him and what did he tell you about his background and credentials at that time?

Robson did suffer a debilitating injury.
    What kind of confirmation do you have of this injury?

Posted On:
    4/18/2007 12:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arclight
    Would it even do any good to have Macaco Patino confirm this guy is not known to him?
    Sure--every little tidbit like that contributes to the investigation. At least we would be able to scratch that Macaco off the list and pursue leads on any others nicknamed Macaco.

Posted On:
    4/18/2007 12:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJonas
    Wow, if true, that is simply amazing. Unless your some BJ Penn or Ryan Hall phenom your everyday Blue belt (I can't even fathom a normal White belt with say 6 months training) IS NOT going to tap a Brown Belt, let alone a BB who should have at least 3 years more mat time. Interesting.
    The dojo storming was discussed on the original UG thread about Robson. What lends the account great credibility is that the RPFS head didn't deny the account, but rather rationalized it--Robson had had a long day at work and wasn't prepared to roll with a bunch of guys, although Robson got tapped by some of them he tapped some of them in turn, etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2007 1:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    mmafan3450,

Most interesting. DuckI aldeady beat me to my first question, what proof of the delibitating injury did you see other than Robson's word.

Other questions, did you roll with him at any time. If so, have you rolled with other blackbelts. If so, how does he compare.

Also, the injuries he received during your employ, were they the result of work or from getting tapped by white belts?

Of course, the big question is which version of his credentials was he espousing at that time, Rigan, Sakata, Marcos, Rigan, Mansor, or a combo of all of the above.

Looking forward to chapter 2 of your post.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2007 1:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yes, one more question.

What was it that caused you to start doubting Robson and come to the realization that DoD may have a case here? Was it simply the volume of evidence presented on these threads or was there some independent information which came to light in your dealings with him.

My source at Rat Pack has temporarily dried up (not real happy with the revelations set forth in my last few posts I suppose) so any help you can give as an "insider" should prove vital to the investigation.