230558 Bullies, 3772 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 25 of 123 FirstFirst ... 152122232425 262728293575 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 10:33am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckofDeath
    A significant slip. I recall early on that there was speculation that Robson might have ultimately earned a black belt in the other art, and then spouted the "ultimately earned a black belt" line in conjunction with his supposed training in BJJ and his Rickson Association membership to create the illusion that his black belt was in BJJ. I believe that one of the things that got Gene Simco in trouble was that he had a black belt in JJJ, had earned a blue or purple in BJJ, but was teaching BJJ in his JJJ black belt, giving students the impression that he was a BJJ black belt.
    I do know my teacher teaches in his JJJ black belt as it is the rank he earned in it as well as a black belt in Judo. He does explain to anyone new and anyone who asks that his black belt is in JJJ and Judo but that he is a brown belt in BJJ. I personally have never had a problem with is because I've seen him many of times let anyone know who was curious what rank he was and in what systems he holds those ranks in.

I'm sure others could be a bit picky about that but he's very honest about it and is usually the one to explain to a new student his rank before they even ask so as not to cause any misunderstanding and to me, it's all gravy baby!

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 11:00am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by duckII
    This is, perhaps, what makes this whole saga so sad and unneccesary. Had Robson just represented himself as what he most likely is, a cross trained guy with some decent Judo and BJJ experience, perhaps a purple belt in both, there would have been no questions asked and he would have been able to pursue his goals legitimately and unchallenged.

In my opinion, he got greedy and shot too high never anticipating the backlash which would follow and he is now unable to go backwards as, again, the toothpaste is out of the tube.
    Early on in the controversy, I discovered and reported that one of the benefits of having a Rickson association membership card was that the cardholder could visit Rickson's school, pay an assessment fee, undergo a rigorous assessment, and receive rank on the basis of successfully passing the assessment. Since Robson was supposedly so infatuated by Rickson, why didn't he do this? Even if he were assessed at blue or purple, it would have been a legit rank under a great like Rickson, and he could have worked up more legit rank from there and made RPFS a proud Rickson affiliate. Ah, but why work hard to earn legit rank under Rickson when you can hoodwink people into believing that you are already a Rickson BB, albeit an injured one who has been out of the game for a while?

I agree that Robson got very greedy for the respectability and power to promote conferred by rank, and that the greed spawned a series of lies that have indeed become the proverbial toothpaste that cannot be put back in the tube.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 11:02am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to start a new thread on the atama forum asking if anyone ever heard of "Paulista". I'm sure I'll get **** for it but maybe something will turn up that can be of use.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 11:07am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The "Paulista" net has been cast...let's see what it brings in.

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 11:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine
    I do know my teacher teaches in his JJJ black belt as it is the rank he earned in it as well as a black belt in Judo. He does explain to anyone new and anyone who asks that his black belt is in JJJ and Judo but that he is a brown belt in BJJ.
    The whole key here is honesty. What I understood about the Simco business was that he did not disabuse people of the mistaken notion that his BB was in BJJ.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 11:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Paulista is just a generic term referring to Sao Paulo. It's like calling someone from New York a New Yorker. I'm sure thats why Robson picked this "nickname" for his imaginary instructor.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 12:03pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the way RP thanks for putting the focus back where it needs to be, Robson.

Also, thanks for proving my points from a more "logical" standpoint with evidence.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 12:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    latest reply from Robson:

"this is my last time to try to level w/you! did you call CBJJ? or Carlinhos Gracie? I'm very nice guy,I dint like to have enemy's,or problems but I'm getting very mad,not respect!!! I been test by big name guys,master Mansor,Marcos santos,Rigam Machado,w/ also I receive my second Black Belt !!! give them a call ,call Marcos or Rigan or M Mansor.all your questions will be answer, or doing what will doing and ???"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My response:

"Robson, why do I need to ask anyone else who your instructor in Brazil was? YOU are the one who claims you were awarded a black belt in Brazil by someone who is a Carlson black belt. So I am asking YOU....who was your instructor? What is his name? Where was his academy? Who are some of his other black belts? Why do I need to ask anybody other than YOU the answer to these questions?

Why are you so defensive? Why are you getting mad? Why don't you just answer the questions? I have people ask me the same questions all the time and it's no big deal. I don't get mad and say...."talk to this guy" or "talk to that guy". I tell them who my instructor is and then if they want to check with him they can. You have wasted more time and words when you could just answer the question and be done with it.

Your refusal to answer the questions just makes you look like you are trying to hide something. Let me explain something to you....I don't care what Carlinhos, Rigan, Marcos, or Mansor say about you. I am asking YOU who YOUR instructor in BRAZIL was....the one you say was a Carlson Gracie black belt. If your instructor was really a Carlson black belt then you should be proud of it and willing to say his name and not care if people check into it if it is the TRUTH. Then you wouldn't need people like Mansor to vouch for you.

I ask you one last time, WHO WAS YOUR INSTRUCTOR IN BRAZIL THAT YOU SAY IS A CARLSON BLACKBELT? WHAT IS HIS COMPLETE NAME? Don't give me this nickname **** "Paulista"...could mean ANYBODY from Sao Paulo."

I'll keep you posted.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 1:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the record, when this Robson controversy first erupted on the internet BEFORE Robson ever even claimed his insructor was a Carlson Gracie black belt.......I was at Carlson's apartment in Chicago reading about it on his computer. I asked Carlson if he knew a Mauricio Sakata because I knew there are lots of black belts from Brazil that Americans have never heard of and I see this poor Robson guy getting a ration of **** cuz nobody knew his instuctor. I was hoping Carlson knew this Sakata guy so I could post it and get these people off Robson's back.

As it turned out Carlson had never heard of the guy so I wasn't able to be any help to Robson. I never even got involved in this shitstorm until Robson AND Mansor claimed that Sakata was a Carlson black belt. When I heard that I could not sit by silently and let these lecherous fucks exploit Carlson's name ESPECIALLY since Carlson is no longer among us.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 1:07pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Position
    I could not sit by silently and let these lecherous fucks exploit Carlson's name ESPECIALLY since Carlson is no longer among us.
    This irritates me the most. Claim the **** while the person is alive not when the person can no longer answer.