Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/07/2007 7:04am

Style: Phucking Phrost

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I want to get a gun, advice?

I've owned plenty of knives, and growing up the moment I acted dumb with a weapon, I got my faced kicked in. so I have do have respect for dangerous objects, I've never owned a gun, I understand the theory behind aiming though, I'm not looking to hunt. I'm just looking for something simple, not much kick back, just something I can take to the range and shoot once in a while. I've heard a simple beretta is good for beginners, but anyway any advice would be nice

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2007 7:09am

Style: ex-TKD 2 Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Buy a .177cal Crossman.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    4/07/2007 7:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You want a gun simply for plain old fun shooting?

Ruger .22 pistol

Cheap to buy, ammo is inexpensive, no recoil, a joy to shoot for just fun plinking.

Posted On:
    4/07/2007 7:40am

Style: Phucking Phrost

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    You want a gun simply for plain old fun shooting?

Ruger .22 pistol

Cheap to buy, ammo is inexpensive, no recoil, a joy to shoot for just fun plinking.

gottcha, thanks

by the way, if I needed to, what kind of damage could that gun do to a human being?

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    4/07/2007 8:04am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    employed properly, even a 22 pistol can be plenty fatal. of course, there can be a bit of a difference between killing and stopping... but as the saying goes, a 22 in the hand beats a 45 in the glove compartment.

but yeah, a 22 pistol, revolver, or rifle (depending on your tastes and available ranges) is 100% the way to go. learn how to shoot on the cheap and without forming bad habits, and with a quality firearm that will last forever.

once you've got that down, you'll have a better idea of what, if anything, you want in a second firearm.
    Last edited by pauli; 4/07/2007 8:09am at .

Posted On:
    4/07/2007 8:43am

Style: Kajukenbo / Judo / IKEA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The mistake I see with guns is going after a little 9mm like a Glock 19 that actually kicks alot more than something bigger, like a Para-Ordnance 45 ACP. I would much rather shoot the latter, although it doesn't make for a good concealed carry weapon.

Shoot a bunch of different guns at a range and find one you like.

Fear the weasels

Fear the gay pirate

Me caught Spinning at work

"Do not be afraid. With my nipples I will suckle each of you with arcane knowledge passed down for generations." -Ashida Kim (Phrost)

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    4/07/2007 8:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by spathophile
    gottcha, thanks

by the way, if I needed to, what kind of damage could that gun do to a human being?

It COULD kill them, but I wouldnt stake my life on it. A good shooting gun that can be a fun target shooting pistol would be a .38 revolver. The .38 doesnt have much knockdown power, but it is more effective than a .22

A better buy would be a .357 Magnum Revolver in a 4" Barrel.

You can shoot .38 ammo through it for economy and just shooting fun, and then load it with .38 Special +P or .357 ammo to keep at home or carrying in the car. This would give you a more all around use gun.

I have a Ruger GP100 Stainless 4" Revolver.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    4/07/2007 9:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by spathophile
    gottcha, thanks

I have one of those rugers and I have to say it's a wonderful firearm. I got it for my wife to shoot, the .45 scares her. She shot it once and was like "Okay... I'm done."

The 22 ruger is very accurate, and good to practice with. As far as damage to a human, it does not have much "stopping power" But, remember, it is a GUN, a FIREARM and will KILL a person.

When I am not target shooting, I set my guns up for home defense. For the Ruger, I have it loaded with hollow points, and the strategy is to fire center mass, avoiding the head. Those rounds will just have a hard time penetrating the skull, me thinks.:qshatter:

Edit: One word of caution however, it's a bitch to breakdown. Actually the break down is easy, the put back together is... it's a major pain in the ass.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    4/07/2007 9:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can also get a .22 conversion kit for most .45cal 1911s. Its a bit more expensive of an option in the short run, but is cheaper than buying two handguns and you get used to and become familiar with the handgun that you may have to use if SHTF. Start off shooting .22 to learn to shoot well, practice a bit with it in .45 once you get used to it, and keep it in .45 for SHTF. The lower recoil of the .22 will help you develop good shooting skills more easily than the .45 and will be cheaper to shoot, so you'll be able to shoot more often, which will make you a better shot.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/07/2007 9:55am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not to derail, my dad left me a Smith & Wesson 38 Special CTG. Since it was my dad's, it has sentimental value; however, I'd like to know what you guys think of this 38 puppy.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast