Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/08/2007 9:14am

Style: Phucking Phrost

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Weight-lifting and sword training

okay I do sword stuff 4 times a week, now I've tried doing this in the past along with weight lifting, I always find that if I want my arm muscles to have the energy to the sword stuff I always have to lift weights that are about 2.5 to 5 lbs lighter, and when I do involve weights in my training, I only lift about two times a week. So hey anyone know the science behind that

and just for fun:pancakebu :biblethum :jerkit2yf :coffee:
    Last edited by spathophile; 4/08/2007 9:17am at .

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    4/08/2007 9:50am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could you be a little more clear with what are you asking? Maybe explain what you goals are or something.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Posted On:
    4/08/2007 9:51am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You may not be;

-Resting enough
    -Eating enough to repair muscles and regain strength
    -Stimulating enough blood flow to the affected areas to promote healing
    -Strong enough anyways
    -Practicising technique incorrectly
    -Cool enough

So;

-Rest more if you need to
    -Eat more if you need to, 4-5 smaller meals a day
    -Stretch, static and dynamic, affected muscles
    -Massage muscles and joints of affected areas to stimulate blood flow
    -Take some time off sword training, work on core, chest, back, shoulders
    -Learn how to swing that thing properly, I don't think the pros are just using their arms
    -Donate to Bullshido, become a Supporting Member today and join one of the coolest hip-and-with-it groups evar!!!
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    4/08/2007 6:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FromBehind
    You may not be;

-Resting enough
    -Eating enough to repair muscles and regain strength
    -Stimulating enough blood flow to the affected areas to promote healing
    -Strong enough anyways
    -Practicising technique incorrectly
    -Cool enough

So;

-Rest more if you need to
    -Eat more if you need to, 4-5 smaller meals a day
    -Stretch, static and dynamic, affected muscles
    -Massage muscles and joints of affected areas to stimulate blood flow
    -Take some time off sword training, work on core, chest, back, shoulders
    -Learn how to swing that thing properly, I don't think the pros are just using their arms
    -Donate to Bullshido, become a Supporting Member today and join one of the coolest hip-and-with-it groups evar!!!

okay I was vague, like it says in what style I practice, beginning longsword,

usually when I'm done with the solo drills I do right now, my legs, shoulders, forearms,wrists, biceps, triceps,and parts of my upper back are worked

my weekly training scehule is usually like this

Monday:weights, I work the shoulders, triceps, biceps and upper back,I use a couple of 25 pound bells, ( I know pretty light, but I'm just trying to maintain some moderate level of physical strength, I mean I'm doing swordwork, so while strength can certainly help, correct technique will do the job)

Tuesday:rest arms, work abs

Wednesday:weights, I repeat what I did on monday

Thursday:Solo drills

Friday:solo drills

Saturday:solo drills, work abs

Sunday: solo drills

now I just started learning longsword

now I know working out everyday of the week might seem to be whats causing it, but the weight sessions are not all that intense, nor are the ab workouts, and solo drills

I try to atleast 5 classes of water a day, diet isn't the best, I eat alot potatoes, alot of meat, good portion of rice, (to my embarassment I am also extremely "addicted"e to mountain dew, not to long ago I would drink atleast 6 liters a day, ), some fruits if I can remember to,

I do some yoga asanas each time before I workout, the warm up usually takes atleast 15 minutes.

look folks, I don't all that much on the fitness front, I know how to the exercises, I know one should drink up to 8 classes of water a day, and I know the amount Caffeine I take on a daily basis might be dehyradating some.

I'm just looking for feed back, alright I mean every I'm doing fitness related aside from the swordwork is just stuff pieced together that I learned from my older brother and from high school gym class
    Last edited by spathophile; 4/08/2007 6:54pm at .

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 8:16am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) Drop that weight workout. It's not enough weight to do anything (unless you're horribly out of shape). Buy the book "starting strength" on the interwebs - you can't find it at a bookstore since they get bought out quick.

2) Add cardio. Run, dance, get a bike, don't care. Gte your heart rate up for a while and keep it there. Interval training (sprint - jog - sprint - jog) is golden as well.

3) fix your diet. Read the stickie "7 habits" in this forum.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 11:07am

Style: wah lum kungfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's funny, but what type of longsword, Japanese, Chinese, Brit? the wiegths vary per blade/fittings etc but should not make any difference. Are you cutting, just doing routine, kata?? Is there an instructor or are you reading from a book? Oh and do ^^^ what they say, sound advice for diet etc...

Posted On:
    4/10/2007 9:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I am currently learning Italian longsword I'm being mentored init by a SCA dude I meant at a Border's a while back (and just for future reference, he didn't learn longsword in the SCA, he was taught it while working for another organization that did Renn Faires a few years ago,) and I am also using Guy Windsor's The Swordsman's companion, (he suggested it as a reference point,)

edit-I forgot to mention, I am currently using a waster, so far he's only taught some footwork and solo cutting drills, plus stances, I don't know the exact weight of it, but if I had to guess I'd say 1.5-2lbs, maybe even a little more
    Last edited by spathophile; 4/10/2007 9:30am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2007 9:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    single sword, no shield or buckler? When I did fighting in the SCA we use 2lb brass rings, usually 5 on each arm and would work with the weapons that way. If you have an area where you can do a ropes course or climbing of one sort or another, this will also strengthen the hands/forearms. Even just holding your hands above you and opening and closing them, like you would be gripping something as hard as you can for a minute or more would help. Good luck.

Posted On:
    4/10/2007 11:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Featherstone
    single sword, no shield or buckler? When I did fighting in the SCA we use 2lb brass rings, usually 5 on each arm and would work with the weapons that way. If you have an area where you can do a ropes course or climbing of one sort or another, this will also strengthen the hands/forearms. Even just holding your hands above you and opening and closing them, like you would be gripping something as hard as you can for a minute or more would help. Good luck.
    by single sword I'm guessing you would be talking a one-handed sword, well no I'm working with a two-handed, and thanks for the advice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2007 9:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good deal, glad to help. 2 hand as in claymore or run of the mill? I used a hand and a half ls.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast