Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 9:09am

Style: BJJ,MT,RBSD (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Myoplex vs. Separate Supplements

I’m wondering whether it’s better to take one “kitchen sink” supplement that combines protein, glutamine, BCAA, and other stuff, or to take them separately.

Specifically, what I take now after working out is a satchel of Myoplex Deluxe (as both a supplement and my final meal of the day). Among other things it contains the following:

Protein 53g
    Glutamine 12.68g
    BCAA 10.8g
    Aspartic Acid 4.70 g
    Lysine 4.20 g
    Proline 4.10 g
    Threonine 3.00 g
    Serine 2.70 g
    Alanine 2.20 g
    Tyrosine 2.00 g
    Phenylalanine 2.00 g
    Arginine 1.50 g
    Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT's) 1.50 g
    Methionine 1.20 g
    Histidine 1.10 g
    Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) (80%) 1.00 g
    Glycine 1.00 g
    Cysteine 870.00 mg
    Tryptophan 840.00 mg
    Choline 240.00 mg
    Boron 20.00 mg

There’s a lot of stuff packed into one satchel of Myoplex Deluxe, but I am currently thinking of replacing this with a combination of Muscle Milk, Glutamine powder, and some kind of BCAA supplement.

(Note that I also supplement with separate multi-vitamin, fish oil, and a joint formula with glucosamine).

Any advice from the experts?

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 9:38am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are the amino acids in Myoplex Deluxe free form? Or are they all bonded together in protein form?

To me I don't see a lot of supplements, I see them listing the amino acid profile of the protein. So yo are taking a protein supplement.

Try micronized creatine monohydrate, BCAA free form powder, glutamine free from powder etc. Beta alanine I have heard good news about and want to try out also. I would say creatine will work most noticeably.

Go to www.bulknutrition.com to get bulk powders for cheap.

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 10:09am

Style: BJJ,MT,RBSD (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1
    Are the amino acids in Myoplex Deluxe free form? Or are they all bonded together in protein form?
    That's one of the questions I have started asking myself and I can't find any information about it on EAS' site, which is one of the reasons I am considering "factoring out" my supplements.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 10:11am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1

To me I don't see a lot of supplements, I see them listing the amino acid profile of the protein. So yo are taking a protein supplement.

Try micronized creatine monohydrate, BCAA free form powder, glutamine free from powder etc. Beta alanine I have heard good news about and want to try out also. I would say creatine will work most noticeably.

Go to www.bulknutrition.com to get bulk powders for cheap.
    LI beat me to it. Basically what he said. Specially, check the website he recommends - good prices.

As he said, on top of your protein supplement, take BCAA and glutamine (and if you can afford it, HMB). My stomach doesn't get too happy with creatine after a couple of weeks of using it, but it does give results. Some people have that problem, and some people don't.

If you are lifting a lot (for powerlifting or bodybuilding sports), another supplement you may want to consider is Nitric Oxide (NO2) - this is what I've heard (personal annecdote). I have a friend, a female bodybuilder who swears by NO2 over creatine (due to NO2 not causing bloating), and in her opinion, if you use one, you don't need the other. That's her personal experience with NO2 and creatine.

I love myoplex. It tastes better than most other shakes, it's rich, good nutritional content, and most imporant of all (at least for me), it has fiber. I'm rarely taking it anymore, however. This is due to its fat content (I can't bulk without getting fat, so I'm now settle to try to remain lean.) Instead I use the leaner "Extreme Body RTD 50" by "American Body Building" or "Micell Edge RTD 50" by "Iron Tek".

If you feel inclined to take a protein shake in powdered form and blend it with fruits and stuff, I strongly recommend Isopure by "Nature's Best" - I prefer the strawberry flavor one since it mixes well with OJ.

In any case, whether you make your own protein shake or drink a RTD, you'd be better off taking additional supplements.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 10:25am

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just wanted to post a link to a couple of sites where you can get very individualized blends of proteins, BCAAS, glutamines, etc. etc.

http://www.trueprotein.com/

and

http://proteinfactory.com/shop/home.php

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 12:42pm

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whorian Gracie
    I was suprised to find that some suppliments will compete for the same bonds. example: taking creatine and glutamine together is pointless. ME DID NOT KNOW THIS. ME LEARNING AS ME GO I GUESS.

How does creatine and glutamine compete for the same bonds? Are you talking about during digestion and absorption, or in the muscle?

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 12:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the consensus on BB.com is that creatine and glutamine do not compete for the same receptors.

A lot of people there say glutamine has been "debunked" as a myth, as in it dosen't do much. Try it and see if you like it.

I like creatine, you don't have to load any form of it, and it is cheap.

NO is OK. I have taken Gaspari SuperPump, GNC Nitric Explosion, TRAC Extreme NO, N.O Xplode, and Shock Therapy. They make me crap like crazy or jitter to death!

I liked TRAC the best but they are all expensive. I now take a few grams arginine ethyl ester and a Redline(or something similar) and its great, much better than other stuff. I take creatine at 5 grams a day to.

Dream stack when I have my money back: Creatine, Citruline Malate, Beta Alanine, BCAA, protein, arginine.

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 2:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW, I took 20 grams glutamine before BJ once (just coincidence that I took it prior to) and I noticed an INSANE pump. Like hurt to close my biceps for the RNC!

A week or so later I read that larger doses of glutamine could give a pump effect. Better than I felt on other NO products. Lots cheaper to.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 2:32pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, 20g. That's a pump! I usually take just 5g of glutamine (and 1,000mg of vitamin C) in the morning and 2g to 4g more of glutamine for the rest of the day. If I don't take my 5g of glutamine in the morning, it's a sure thing it will be a shitty day if I go train.

FYI, it's been a week since my g/f and I started taking two capsules of the following ginseng-based product with our morning glutamine:

http://www.herbalremedies.com/energy-pill1.html

So far, it has worked wonders in giving energy and mental alertness in the morning and early afternoon. The other supplements (glutamine, aminoacids, etc) have helped us deal with physical fatigue, but this particular ginseng product ameliorates mental fatigue better than anything else so far.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 5:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First off, Creatine shouldn't cause bloating at all. The extra Creatine Phosphate in the system allows for ATP to be created quicker for the usage of the muscles during activity. The sheer amount of this that would need to be ingested for any sort of bloating is ridiculous. Along with this BCAA's aren't a necessity if you're eating correctly. It's a bit overkill. Your body is going to create it's own amino's given the correct nutrients. Vitamins are fine. If you want more protein, eat more versus ingesting BCAA's.

Glutamine is expended during exercise. Ingesting it after exercise will keep the immune system at it's proper levels and contribute to increasing a positive nitrogen balance within the body.

Sadly, the pump goes away that you're speaking of. The pumps is the body's adaptation to specific activities through the enlarging of blood vessels. More of certain compounds enhances this, but only to a point and then no matter how much G you snort, you'll get little to no increased effect.

No2 was great the first time I used it. After that, the effects lessened each time.
    Last edited by Equipoise; 4/12/2007 5:28pm at .
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast