Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/11/2007 8:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Anyone Heard of Ray Sarkine?

Just curious if Ray Sarkine has a name in the Muay Thai world or if he was trying to put on airs. I chatted with him tonight, and my opinion could swing either way.

Thanks!

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 1:07pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I suggest you do is try "google". God (or google) made search functions for a reason... .. when you do use them, usually a whole bunch of information is displayed that you could look at....If you don't use them bad things happen, especially to NOOBs.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 1:10pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    badadum
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 1:41pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A search function is infinitely less informative than talking to a guy who's fought him or his students. When choosing who to trust my training to, I like first-hand information, not a bunch of articles and statistics.

Besides, some things must be weighed against one another. For instance, the world rankings of his students tend to be 1-2 or 1-1. So is he bad because they often have losing records, or is he good because his students are ranked among the IKF World Amateurs? I don't know the integrity of the program, so looking at a bunch of pretty numbers doesn't mean much.

I don't fight in the IKF, so I don't know anything about it. You can be a jackhole and call me a noob because I belong to a different organization, or you can be informative and helpful for 5 minutes of your life.

Edit: A third option: you could simply let people with something worth saying speak.

"Yes Neko, please keep telling me more about your manly collection of Star Wars audiobooks"

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 4:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you're gonna enjoy your ride and last very long among us my friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Yeah, you're probably right.

But still, something about having a black guy or a lesbian jump out from behind a garbage can yelling "SURPRISE GONG SAU" at any of your big-named RBSD kooks makes me giggle like a little girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    There are two kinds of members on MAP:

1. LARPers/Partial Artists
    2. People who haven't heard about Bullshido.
    The Mighty McClaw to Fox when refusing to fight AnnaT.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    Don't fight girls? When are you living, the 1850's? I suppose you think they shouldn't work or vote either.
    Get with the times and punch a chick.
    Wingchundo's response after I called him a "*****"

Quote Originally Posted by wingchundo View Post
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

Ok, time for a snappy comeback.... uh...

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 6:01pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you talked to him, why didn't you ask him all these things. Also, go over and try it out, thats the real acid test. Don't take someone else word for it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 9:45pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I asked him several questions, but when it comes to his record he was too self-important to get a real answer from him. He described the success of his school thusly: "I'm the guy who teaches guys who go out and bring home Golden Gloves and world championships every year..." Then he explained how all these martial arts masters won't go near Muay Thai boxers and how the good ones all practice Muay Thai on the side.

Once again, it might be true. But I can't find the info online, so I wanted to know if anyone has experienced Ronin Gym's fighters to see if he trains as well as he talks. Because if he's just average, then I couldn't stand his attitude long enough to train there. If he's as good as he says he is, though, I could buckle down and let him be a tool.

Posted On:
    4/24/2007 12:28am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well here you go. I trained with Ray for almost 4 years, and I was "Let Go" because of some differences my girlfriend (she was also a student) and he had. As long as you can look past all of his BS sessions after class and his advice on how you should live your life, you should be fine. He does have a very well structured class setup, and I am glad that I went to his school to learn the basics of fighting. And I am just as glad to not be a part of his school as well. I could keep going and going about the good and the bad and I would probably come up with more bad than good but...... The good things I learned were and are very helpful.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/01/2007 7:34pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's really good to know, Drifter. I'd already decided to forego the school, despite the nice structure I saw. It reinforces my decision to know that the owner screws around with people's personal lives on that level. Granted, my Master will punish you for being a jerk outside the dojang, but he doesn't take revenge on students by kicking their friends out.

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 8:24pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

First Hand Knowledge

I have first hand knowledge because I have been there at the school as well. I've been studying Karate in the Indianapolis area for over 10 years. My instructor and I have both met Mr. Sarkine and were impressed. He was friendly, knowledgeable, and the very first to admit that muay Thai wasn't for everyone. My Sensei tells me his reputation among instructors is top notch and that he's been teaching here for over 20 years. That says an awful lot. Sounds like "DRIFTER" admits the training was pretty good too. He says he was there for over 4 years. You don't stay anywhere 4 years unless you're happy with it. As far as the rest goes, it sounds like disgruntled ex student crap. I've never heard of a student ever being asked to leave a school without their being some kind of real moral or ethical problem. If I was interested in Muay Thai Ray would be the guy to teach it. Our school was asked to match Ray's gym in a donation they just gave to a local children’s hospital. Ray's club gave over a $1000. Our dojo is much smaller and we gave what we could but the fact that Mr. Sarkine works on behalf of local charities also says a lot about his character.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast