• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/20/2007 10:27am

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember an MMA place I used to train at. (Still would be if it were logistically feasable. I recommend the coach to anyone who can get to his place.) Even drills for beginners had some element of training timing and distance and whatnot. I remember one when I first started was fairly static but still worked on timing. One partner would throw a couple of punches (the kinds he could throw were limited) and the other partner would defend and then try to shoot in for a double leg in between strikes. I don't think beginners need be excluded from drills like that.

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 7:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The MMA form is so so crap. It proves once and for all how silly kata is, for that we habve Pro-Star MMA to thank. Low block, lol.
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 10:40pm

Style: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All of the techniques are done just fine (grappling stuff). The only problem is that, they don't really show any context for the techniques.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 11:29pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone notice this is on the "Frauds" section?

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 11:31pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its also the BS and standards section. Entries here do not have to involve fraud.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 11:33pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn, I'm dumb. Thank you for reminding me! (No I'm not being sarcastic)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 2:20pm

Style: TKD, wrestling, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **Bump**

I'm glad I found this thread before I went off on a huge rant.

A local school just started advertising that it is now a Pro-Star MMA school. This is in conjunction with their Taekwondo classes. Now I really can't comment on the curriculum of Pro-Star as I haven't seen it first hand and likely will never get a chance to, but the whole idea of selling curriculum like this lacks the responsibility of the seller.

In my mind this whole program is about getting people into the door using a buzz phrase of mixed-martial-arts and signing up students and eventually transferring them into the other existant programs if they become disillusioned with the Pro-Star way.

What really has set me off on this is the advertising that accompanies the program.
    From a local paper on advertisment for the school and announcing pro-star
    Header "Meet Today's Weekend Warrior"
    Body Title "Learn Mixed Martial Arts Without the Bruises"
    Random Quotes from body " . . . Pro-Star takes the best from different martial arts and combines them into an easy to learn system that will get you fit as a fighter without the bruises . . . gain confidence knowing you can protect yourself and your loved ones . . . You will find yourself gaining flexibility and tone while the extra pounds just melt away . . ."

There is nothing in the advertisment that mentions any "sporting" aspect to MMA. I think MMA has come to be understood as a sport now-a-days and this advertisment fails to define what MMA actually is. It seems to be geared towards getting people into the school who want a fitness routine. How can you learn MMA without sparring? How can you learn MMA without getting bruised up? How can you learn the techniques effectively if you have never been put in a live training situation? To compare this to something I will be teaching everyone on this message board how to become basketball players. We will run lines and you'll feel great. We'll dribble the ball and work on handling skills and you will feel confident that you can handle a ball. We'll shoot some baskets so you can see exactly what it is to put the ball through the hoop. No we will not play any games as testing what you've learned could leave you feeling bad.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 4:50pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Art
    **Bump**

I'm glad I found this thread before I went off on a huge rant.

A local school just started advertising that it is now a Pro-Star MMA school. This is in conjunction with their Taekwondo classes. Now I really can't comment on the curriculum of Pro-Star as I haven't seen it first hand and likely will never get a chance to, but the whole idea of selling curriculum like this lacks the responsibility of the seller.

In my mind this whole program is about getting people into the door using a buzz phrase of mixed-martial-arts and signing up students and eventually transferring them into the other existant programs if they become disillusioned with the Pro-Star way.

What really has set me off on this is the advertising that accompanies the program.
    From a local paper on advertisment for the school and announcing pro-star
    Header "Meet Today's Weekend Warrior"
    Body Title "Learn Mixed Martial Arts Without the Bruises"
    Random Quotes from body " . . . Pro-Star takes the best from different martial arts and combines them into an easy to learn system that will get you fit as a fighter without the bruises . . . gain confidence knowing you can protect yourself and your loved ones . . . You will find yourself gaining flexibility and tone while the extra pounds just melt away . . ."

There is nothing in the advertisment that mentions any "sporting" aspect to MMA. I think MMA has come to be understood as a sport now-a-days and this advertisment fails to define what MMA actually is. It seems to be geared towards getting people into the school who want a fitness routine. How can you learn MMA without sparring? How can you learn MMA without getting bruised up? How can you learn the techniques effectively if you have never been put in a live training situation? To compare this to something I will be teaching everyone on this message board how to become basketball players. We will run lines and you'll feel great. We'll dribble the ball and work on handling skills and you will feel confident that you can handle a ball. We'll shoot some baskets so you can see exactly what it is to put the ball through the hoop. No we will not play any games as testing what you've learned could leave you feeling bad.
    Interesting you posted that analogy as I use it quite a bit in order to get people to understand the difference between an art that uses practical training as opposed to what is considered "traditional" training methods.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 5:25pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by trapdoor
    The schools have to be accepted, and all have already demonstrated the ability to be superior teachers. In fact, many are already realistic kickboxing and grapping schools that you advocate, whose curriculum cannot keep a student or make a living. This is why they come to us…
    If you were just helping people out with how to run a business, design schedules and help with costing etc, then fine (i.e. help good teachers to become good businessmen). That isn't what you're doing though, you're claiming to offer a full MMA training program including the techniques.

If someone has a level of skill high enough to be teaching then it's not the curriculum they offer which will be the reason they don't retain students. It's more likely how they teach (maybe they don't explain things well) or how they run the school (turning up late) which is losing them students. If you just stuck to helping them out with this, I'm sure no-one would have a problem.

You are saying you're not teaching people how to punch/kick etc but just how to structure lessons. Then why do you need to show them videos of combos?! Surely you could just tell them "Ok, lesson one for a beginner. Teach them a basic stance and defensive posture. Now show them footwork and once they're comfortable moving around add in a jab/cross combo" or similar. You shouldn't have to show crappy techniques on video if you have selected good instructors as you said.

However, you obviously realise there are plenty of companies/individuals offering business services; so you've tried to get an MMA gimmick and the only way to make yourselves specifically MMA has been to tack on some shitty techniques.

You're just out for cash, it's simple for all to see.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 5:28pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    Oh man...If you go to the sample combinations page here:

http://www.martialartsteachers.com/i...e=Combinations

You'll see, first, shitty combos. Then, in the 4th one listed...the introduction of...wait for it....

FORMS in MMA!!

Combo four seems like an excellent technique if you want to get double-legged easier than you could have ever managed!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345