Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2007 6:35pm

Style: MT noob, BJJ even noober

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Any thoughts on Hybrid Martial Arts Academy in Miami, FL?

I was curious what everyone thought about this guy?

http://www.hybridmartialart.com/

I realize that the website is more than a little difficult to navigate (and with gratuitous Bruce Lee pictures) but any input would be greatly appreciated. I know there are some great schools here, but unfortunately with my schedule and traffic would be difficult to get to many as I'm far south in Miami. Here is his bio page:

http://www.hybridmartialart.com/Inst...uctor_Bio.html

I realize that it is a JKD school but he seems to have BJJ training as well (he's a blue belt) which seems like a plus compared to a lot of the local guys.

Thanks again for any insight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2007 9:36pm

Style: karate,judo,JJ,Aikido,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    first off I'm going to say points off for the over usage of Bruce Lee on the website.

secondly did you happen to read the qualifications of the assistant instructor?

Jeet Kune Do (COMBAT PHILOSOPHY)
    Jun Fan Gung Fu (Bruce Lee's Kickboxing)
    Philipino Kali / Escrima (Weapons Training : Single Stick, Double Stick, Edged Weapons, Staff)
    Boxe-Francaise Savate (French Kickboxing) Golden Glove
    Wing Chun Kung Fu (Southern Shaolin Kung Fu)
    Maphilindo/Pencak Silat (Guru Dan Inosanto and Indonesian Systems)
    Muay Thai (Thai Boxing & Krabi Krabong)
    Western Boxing (Ring Sport)
    Aikido (Morihei Ueshiba and Steven Segal Lineage)
    Fighter Training (12 Weeks) 150-200 LBS. Weight Classes.

Shaolin Kung Fu:
    Northern Eagle Claw (Northern Method) - Ying Zhao Quan
    Yang Tai Chi Chuan (Northern Method) - Yang Taijiquan
    Chen Tai Chi Chuan (Wang X'ian System) - Chen Taijiquan
    Wing Chun (Yip Man and Moy Yat Systems) - Wing Chun Quan

never knew there was a bruce lee kickboxing.

Now the assistant instructor Mr. Leonel Sanchez seems a little over qualified if you know what I mean. Is this what he is teaching or just dabbled in can't seem to find it on the site?

poser

Posted On:
    4/11/2007 10:29pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jtkarate
    Now the assistant instructor Mr. Leonel Sanchez seems a little over qualified if you know what I mean. Is this what he is teaching or just dabbled in can't seem to find it on the site?
    To give him the benefit of the doubt, it's probably just a list of what he's had experience with. But if you're not sure you could always send a polite e-mail.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2007 10:55pm

Style: karate,judo,JJ,Aikido,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok here is a copy of the email i am going to send. Any thoughts ...add something ,take out ,,rephrase..all input is welcome.

Mr. Sanchez,

First I would like to thank you for taking the time to read this. Recently I was directed towards your website by a colleague, and while looking throught it came upon your Bio.

From what is printed on the website it appears as though you have a very impressive background in Martial Arts. But I was wondering if there was a location on the site that gave a little more detail into your training background. If there is one I apologize that I was unable to locate it. But if ther is none I was wondering if you would be willing to provide a little bit of detail as to what you trained in and for how long and possibly who with?

I would like to thank you once again for your time and look forward to hearing from you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 9:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the input all. I agree with you about the qualifications and that was one of my concerns as well.

This is his website: http://jkdstuff.com/

and I believe that he lists who he trained under over there... but I can't pull the site up at the moment. Let me know if it helps at all to figure out what is going on w/ Mr. Sanchez.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 10:22am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He needs to learn no to mess with the color and fonts.

I am always wary of a very young guy claiming experience in a million diferent places
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 2:41pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmmm...

A year later... while still training at the Santa Monica school, I was invited to a class that Sensei Magno was teaching at the Machado Academy in Torrence, CA. & on that same day, in addition to being promoted to the rank of blue belt; I had the pleasure of meeting Higan and Roger Machado
    In bold if you will. Then some other guy who was training "Combat Submissive Wrestling" screw that up as well?

Edit:

Sensei Paulson gave me this analogy : "Shoot-Wrestling and Brazilian Jui-jitsu complement each other, Jiu-jitsu is like playing chess and Shooto is like playing speed chess with the timer being involved."
    In bold again, didn't know her eas a Sensei...go figure.

Also, he does say he holds the rank of purple on his website:

Pretty easy to ask them about it here:

http://graciemiami.com/index.htm

If he is a purple belt and what you want is grappling and he has a seperate class for that then go for it. I've done some training with guys with "hybrid" martial arts styles and you usually end up with good and bad. Your best bet is to find someone really good in each area and go from there. But that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by datdamnmachine; 4/12/2007 2:46pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 3:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    machine:

I agree with you about trying to find someone really good in each area. Ideally, I'd love to train grappling with the Avellan brothers at FFA... but it is about a 45 mins - 1 hr each way with traffic, and my schedule is just too busy for that right now. I suppose it might be short-sighted of me to think that I can really get decent all-in-one training somewhere close to me; but this place seemed like it might have some promise. Granted it isn't ideal, but hopefully better than not doing any sort of training at all. At least (if the certifications are accurate) he could throw in a little BJJ work with JKD/ hybrid "system."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 3:37pm

Style: BJJ/boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where in Miami are you? There are at least two Gracie and one Machado affiliated schools in Miami and I'm not sure but I would be very surprised if Top Team didn't have at least one school down there.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 3:43pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thaclient
    machine:

I agree with you about trying to find someone really good in each area. Ideally, I'd love to train grappling with the Avellan brothers at FFA... but it is about a 45 mins - 1 hr each way with traffic, and my schedule is just too busy for that right now. I suppose it might be short-sighted of me to think that I can really get decent all-in-one training somewhere close to me; but this place seemed like it might have some promise. Granted it isn't ideal, but hopefully better than not doing any sort of training at all. At least (if the certifications are accurate) he could throw in a little BJJ work with JKD/ hybrid "system."
    Trust me, I know the feeling. I was hard up for instruction. The thing is, about 6 months after training with this one guy, I found a BJJ brown belt in the area, like 5 minutes away. Now, a little over a year after that, a purple belt is opening up a MMA gym like 2 minutes away from the school I currently attend. I will be going to both cause they both have very good BJJ. Keep searching your area, try online, the phone book, college, neighbors; anything you can get your hands on.

I don't know the guy personally nor have I trained with him. All I can tell you is my experience in a hybrid system. The good, we did lots of hard contact sparring. The bad, sticky hands...blah!
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast