Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/04/2009 3:04pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Oh's Tae Kwon Do

A couple weeks ago I stopped in this dojang looking for a MMA program I heard about from one of my old training partners. The instructor rented the floor from Oh's Tae Kwon Do but again, I showed up at the wrong time. I decided why waste the time, im already here. As I sat in on the class I noticed that the school primarily consisted of young children (mostly elementary age) which kinda sent up a red flag. The instructor at the time was a young teenage girl (maybe 17) who wasn't even a black belt. Much of the instruction was sub-par at best; lots of really sloppy Mc Dojo style tae kwon do, but at least the girl was cute. The next class I saw was taught by an overweight "master" who seemed to be a real prick. He continuously threatened young kids with different torture drills most of which he probably couldn't do himself. There was also a boy with cerebral palsy that he seemed pretty tough on. The sad part is that the boy actually thinks he learning quality self-defense. Also, a majority of the red and black belts were like 10 years old! At one point when I came back, they had a Korean master teaching weapons to Hip-hop. Though the music was decent, the "master" himself didn't seem like he knew anything about the weapons (very basic skills at best). However on a positive note, the school was a good size with a reasonable amount of equipment. The puzzle mats seemed real filthy. This is about the time that I asked a couple of the parents how much they paid for classes here, and thats when I almost lost it. One parent said she paid $80 a week! Another parent had a kid in some kind of special program paying almost $200 a week! They also had a small board that had testing fees for an up-coming testing; almost $80 for a stripe! This seems like the typical TKD mc dojo that is making the real TKD guys look bad. Definitely stay away, this really is the kind of place all martial artist should not be associated with, just another belt factory. However the MMA program that rented from this dojang was waaaaaaaaay better (thank god), that review if your interested will be under "St. Pete Top-Team".
    Last edited by lexjitsu; 2/04/2009 4:20pm at . Reason: sorry misunderstood the aliveness rating

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    2/04/2009 3:10pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find it hard to believe that A. You were able to get an accurate enough impression of this school for a review with only a single visit and B. That it is possible to have an aliveness score of 7 with striking and grappling instruction both rated at 1.

Posted On:
    2/04/2009 3:42pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was there for 2 hours, and trust me it was bad. I've trained at a couple of different TKD and Karate schools when I was younger and this was pretty bad. I rated the aliveness high cause the kids seemed to have fun and the parents seemed entertained. The actual quality of the instruction was bad.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/04/2009 3:53pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go back, review the rules and see if this review really needs to be here.

IMO you need to delete this thread.

Posted On:
    2/04/2009 4:05pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why, the review is an honest assessment of what I saw.

Posted On:
    2/04/2009 4:22pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    I find it hard to believe that A. You were able to get an accurate enough impression of this school for a review with only a single visit and B. That it is possible to have an aliveness score of 7 with striking and grappling instruction both rated at 1.
    opps, thanks Kintanon, I misunderstood the aliveness rating. thank you

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/04/2009 4:31pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lexjitsu
    Why, the review is an honest assessment of what I saw.
    opps, thanks Kintanon, I misunderstood the aliveness rating. thank you
    Well there is one reason right here.

but at least the girl was cute.
    Here is another reason.

Posted On:
    2/04/2009 4:50pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol I know, but she was cute.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/04/2009 5:10pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah but you wanted to know why I said you should rethink posting the review.

Those are two reason.

The main reason is, you went for a specific type of training, watched something you didn't seem to like, and come off as slightly biased.

Posted On:
    3/04/2009 4:18pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

i trained here to

i also stoped by this mcdojo and this review is very accurate. I tained here for a little while before relising that this dojo was just trying to get my money and teach me inaffective techniques. I was charged 180$ per week and after just a very short time of training the master there offerd me to join this "black belt" club i was kind of shocked that after such a short time of training he would offer me this. after thinking about it i began talking it over with the master and everything seemed fine...but then we got to the price he said it was $4000 if i paid up front and $6000 if i paid it off over time. He said it was this expensive because it coverd every expense for the next 4 years. But he still charged for uniforms and the regular tuition. I left after he told me how expensive it would be so the only reason i know that he still charges for evreything is because my friends kid goes there i dont understand why he doesn't get him out of that damn place. Anyway this place is like the biggest mcdojo i have ever seen he is one of the guys that make the real TKD guys look bad and give them a bad name. so STAY THE HELL AWAY!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast