solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 11:28am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neildo
    I have Ironwood arnis sticks I bought in the Philippines for dirt cheap ($5/pair?) but i haven't even seen a pair out here.

I don't use them at all though. I heard they're very brittle and will practically explode if I spar with them.
    nick papadakis has them for sale on his site. they ain't cheap:

http://bloodsport.com/product_info.p...products_id=31

nick is a very good guy and i suggest talking to him about heavy rattan bo staffs. he made me a 7.5 ft rattan pole that is very thick and almost twice as heavy and dense as similar ones i got in new jersey at a rattan warehouse. he simply has the hook-ups to get the highest quality rattan available anywhere, and he really knows his **** when it comes to burning/preparing the stick/staff.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 12:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neildo
    I have Ironwood arnis sticks I bought in the Philippines for dirt cheap ($5/pair?) but i haven't even seen a pair out here.

I don't use them at all though. I heard they're very brittle and will practically explode if I spar with them.
    That's what I would expect to happen too. Personally, I like oak for these weapons, it's hard and when it gets busted, it doesn't cost much to replace and you heart isn't broken (much).
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 12:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    nick also makes sticks from hickory. according to clint eastwood in pale rider, hickory is the ideal wood for busting up fools
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 12:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_bat

Interesting. Maple bats can shatter! I had no idea.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 12:40pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn, Ironwood sticks can be hella expensive over here. I wouldn't spar with mine because they would wreck my partner.

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 12:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, that's the other reason i haven't sparred with mine. it'd be too cruel. I'm waiting to use them on a home invader or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist
    OMFG, Mine even came with that same red-lined black pool cue case thing. except mine has a pocket for chalk/balisong.

I honestly can't remember what I paid for in in the Phils. couldn't have been any more that 100 pesos which is **** all in CDN $. Fucking LOL, I got my pair for what he's charging for the case.

Something i did with mine to improve grip and durability; I took some old bicycle tubes for my racing bike, cut them to the right length and slipped them over my sticks. now they're rubberized, sorta. Also, if they do happen to shatter, it will keep the splinters in.
    Last edited by Neildo; 4/12/2007 12:55pm at .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12