and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 6:30am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    O RLY?

Anyway THANK YOU! KS, OS, KK, Ned - you guys rock. Last night - again with the knee drills - my clinch was rocking. Doing those tweaks and then asking my coach about the tweaks really helped get me dialed in. I dominated the little guys easily and did better aginst the guys near my size. I even got a few compliments on my clinch. Sweet.

AWESOME A++++++++++++++ WOULD BUY AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2007 1:21am

Style: Muay Thai, No Gi Judo/Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so now... another question in hand...

HOW DO LITTLE PEOPLE CLINCH THE TALLER ONES?

This is assuming you had to clinch them. I would expect going for double underhooks, and possibly kneeing thier legs?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2007 2:28am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A common tactic employed here is for the shorter fighter to plant his head into the chest of the taller opponent, while dropping in the knees a bit and clinching around the waist.

The reason for this is that the shorter person is neutralizing the taller fighters knee attacks, and is relatively safe from elbows, as it is quite hard to effectively elbow someone's face when their head is posted into your chest/clavicle region.

The down side is that it is also hard to work knees of your own from this position, however where the shorter person has the advantage when they gain this position is in their ability to off-center and unbalance their opponents for a dump. This is facilitated through their lower center of gravity when they hunker down and bend their knees slightly.

Following this line, the counter for the tall person from this position, is to shoot down even lower then the shorter guy, and try to break their clinch by shooting your hips out. This will also create space to throw your own knee, and widen/strengthen your base to help prevent the dump.

Hope this makes sense. Always tuff when trying to give technical advice in text.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2007 3:05pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    octaviousbp is correct. I'll add a couple of quick thoughts to his comments....

Clinching around someones waist is actually a no-no in Thailand. The clinch must be higher, around the ribcage. Apparently this rule was changed in the mid-90's due to lower back injuries fighters were experiencing from the "back-breaker" tactics, where you push forward with your head & shoulders while you pull forwards with your arms around their waist. This is a great way to nullify someones clinch, but leads to injuries.

Another tactic that I use when someone gets the double underhooks on me is to switch my clinch so that I go for the double underhooks too. The difference is that I underhook their arms as if I'm guillotining them. I do this on both sides and 'worm' my gloves/hands between our bodies. This allows me to control them while I drop my hips (center of gravity), thus giving me control of the clinch again. From this position I can not only control their movement and throw my own knees, but it also gives me enough leverage to twist them off their feet if they try to continue kneeing me.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/15/2007 6:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Khun Kao, did you mean to type overhook?
    "The next one I will take will pay for my loss. Someone has to pay!" ~ The Axe Murderer

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2007 9:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DARKSON
    Khun Kao, did you mean to type overhook?
    LOL! Yeah I did.... Silly me!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2007 11:21pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khun Kao
    Clinching around someones waist is actually a no-no in Thailand.
    You still see it here quite a bit, which is quite a bummer for someone who is 6'1" and 147pds. The big stadiums might actually call it, but I haven't noticed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2007 10:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by octaviousbp
    You still see it here quite a bit, which is quite a bummer for someone who is 6'1" and 147pds. The big stadiums might actually call it, but I haven't noticed.
    Now that you've mentioned it, I've never noticed it called either.... I just know that it was supposedly no longer allowed. Maybe they only break it up if someone attempts a "back-breaker" tactic?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12