and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    4/10/2007 8:02am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MT clinch vs little people

Question about my terrible clinch (clench)?

Last night were working knees from the clench. I have longer legs and shorter arms than many my size. One of the guys I got paired with was about a foot shorter than me and I had more trouble with him than the bigger dudes. When I made space to throw a knee above the thigh he had plenty of room to do a reverse or escape and could throw his own knees sooner.

My coach say i need to practice more (true) and I'll get better with it. Still, it seems like I'm missing something.

So... protips? how do you guy throw knees vs much shorter people? Do you really drive them down with your weight or keep them more vertical?
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2007 10:16am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have that much height advantage you should find it easier in the clinch. Control your opponents head, pull it forward, spin them round to open up some space, start throwing in some knees and Bob's your uncle.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/10/2007 11:35am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being that much taller than someone should give you a huge advantage in the clinch. I'm not really sure how making space to throw knees would allow someone to escape. Are you moving your arms when you do this? Your forearms should be just about perpendicular to the floor at all times and like The Villain said, pressed up against the person's collar bones.

Tall guys using their height advantage for clinch fighting:

Dieselnoi Chor Thanasukarn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubHmZ-HqPcQ
    Last edited by Torakaka; 4/11/2007 3:00pm at .
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    4/10/2007 12:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was doing it wrong. yeah, lots of arm movement. I was pushing, not hanging and so my arms weren't near vertical. More like 45 degrees or more. I bet i try to do the same with the bigger guys and they just don't move as much.

So if i stop pushing and hang down more - not only will i be crushing the little guy just as much I'll be more bent over more which wuold mean plenty of room to throw my big hog leg up in his grill.

Thanks guys.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Posted On:
    4/10/2007 2:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm probably wording badly so it's not clear, but 6'4" vs 5'5-7 so either i'd have to bend over or my forearms wouldn't be straight up and down. do the clench in front of you. where my hands meet is about 2 inches over this guys head.

not a big deal, it was just weird and i hate not getting something.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/10/2007 4:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, the locking clinch (one arm over their shoulder, one arm under their arm pit, hands locked behing the back) would be really good and it basically puts all of your weight on your opponent. If you're taller than them it will exhaust them FAST. It's a bit harder to throw good knees from this position, but they will have a pretty hard time defending it.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    4/11/2007 6:30am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys. I'll give that a try.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2007 1:39pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like you're having trouble with controlling your opponent more than having an issue with the height. What I mean is that with that height advantage, you should be able to lock down on someones head/neck relatively easily. The key thing is that you really need to LOCK DOWN on them. You have to have a good, controlling hold that does not give them "wiggle room".

Look for some Dieselnoi highlights on YouTube. He is a perfect example. He was very tall for a Thai (6' or a little more) and towered over other fighters. He would lock down on his opponents head/neck, then pulll them (jerk them) forwards and twist them around, throw a few knees, then repeat. He never gave his opponent any real room to work.

Dieselnoi's match vs. Macayao (sp?) was a perfect example. The guy had great boxing skill and was landing some wicked looking punches, but the fact was that Dieselnoi had the clinch locked in place and most of those punches were rendered ineffective. If you have a good clinch in place, you are controlling the head, neck, and shoulders, which prevents your opponent from getting his body behind his techniques.

And as I already mentioned, even with a good clinch in place, you still need to jerk and twist your opponent around just before you start throwing knee strikes. You want your opponent to be off-balance and hit him with your knee strikes before he recovers his position to defend and work for an escape.

Posted On:
    4/11/2007 2:34pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great advice dude. I don't think I was twisting very much - i guess that's the 'practice more' thing I need to do.

Off to look for those vids.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/11/2007 2:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Great advice dude. I don't think I was twisting very much - i guess that's the 'practice more' thing I need to do.

Off to look for those vids.
    I posted the Dieselnoi highlight =P
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast