It still sounds like a crappy school.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 4:59pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Late to the party, but flowing spirit, you are abusing our numerical rating system! There are fixed criteria regarding the ratings you should find and evaluate before rating your school!
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Banished to Fort Worth

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 3:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These scores seem to be dramatically inflated across the board. To help maintain our review standards, please examine the guidelines found here and adjust your scores accordingly.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    That is exactly what I meant sdave. You are dead on, as usual.

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 12:00am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Regardless of weather other schools are any different, this one is just plain unacceptable...

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/05/2008 12:11am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What does "Lao Chi" mean again? I am living in China and studying Mandarin and don't know of any characters corresponding to the romanization "lao chi" that mean "flowing spirit". (Neither does my dictionary)

I would presume it is a Mandarin name as it is "a shaolin style" (not one i've heard of).

I am working on a translation of the characters on the site and will get back with that later.

Any response to this from the school?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/07/2008 6:47am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok...

The Chinese characters on the site are traditional Hanzi -國際無極功夫協會

The modern, simplified Hanzi are - 国际无极功夫协会

The romanization of this into modern Pinyin is: "go j w j gōng fu xe hu "

Loosely translated into English this means "International Unattainable Gong fu Association"...

Interestingly, a search using those characters (traditional and simplified) on Baidu.com (The chinese equivalent of google in HK and the mainland) did not yield any results. Nor did a search for any similar English equivalents on google.

The characters "際無 / 无极 / w j" (traditional / simplified / pinyin) are particularly confusing. They can not be found in any Chinese-English Dictionary and I wasn't able to get any online translation programs to recognize them. Additionally, a university educated Chinese person here with a decent knowledge of Kung Fu claims that the only reason she knows of this combination of characters is because they were used as the title of the most expensive movie in Chinese History of the same name. The English name for "W J" was "The promise" and it can be found here at "http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417976/"

It is important to note that while pronunciation/tone may change across dialects, including Cantonese, the characters don't. They have the SAME MEANING in the different dialects, they are just pronounced differently. So, if the master claims it is a Cantonese name, and he is a member of an association with a Cantonese name, the characters should still translate into something sensible.

At any rate, the Chinese characters on his site at least partially point to a membership in some international organization, but it doesn't seem to be one that is recognized in China. There are also no English references on the site to the school or its "masters" being recognized by any International associations. It would seem that if he were recognized as a master by someone other than himself he would want to advertise that in a language that interested parties could understand.

So... Questions worth asking based on the name of his system and the questionable "Chinese Writing" on his page:

#1 - Where did this Master come up with the Chinese on his site?

#2 - What International Organization is he claiming to be a member of, if any?

#3 - Where did the name for this "Shaolin system" come from? (obviously not from Shaolin)

#4 - What is he telling his students about the history of his system, and his credentials?
    Last edited by RobAgle; 3/27/2008 12:38pm at . Reason: clarity

Posted On:
    2/08/2008 8:33am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jeet kune do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :waoya Isn't it obvious?? :waoya

he just lies to all his students, leading them into a tunnel vision attitude, what i mean by this,is that because he gets students that have never done a martial art before or no nothin about them, then he fills there head full of **** and people buy it and then when you ask him questions about:- lao chi kung fu, he says "it is shotakan karate and hung gar put together, but you have to nag him bout the where it came from for ages, and that 'apparently he learn't Hung Gar off Jimmy Chan from liverpool' and that the guy thats there now 'George Hoe', he tells everyone that he taught this guy everything he knows and that he was his senior student.

If you are looking to do Martial Arts 'Don't do this one'...
    Last edited by pab_jkd; 2/08/2008 8:55am at .

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 7:55am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kung Fu, Tae Kwan Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pab_jkd
    :waoya Isn't it obvious?? :waoya

he just lies to all his students, leading them into a tunnel vision attitude, what i mean by this,is that because he gets students that have never done a martial art before or no nothin about them, then he fills there head full of **** and people buy it and then when you ask him questions about:- lao chi kung fu, he says "it is shotakan karate and hung gar put together, but you have to nag him bout the where it came from for ages, and that 'apparently he learn't Hung Gar off Jimmy Chan from liverpool' and that the guy thats there now 'George Hoe', he tells everyone that he taught this guy everything he knows and that he was his senior student.

If you are looking to do Martial Arts 'Don't do this one'...
    Here's an interesting fact for you .... our Pab_jkd who made the comment above is actually an ex-student in Lao Chi. He was specifically told that the instructor didnt like his students studying another martial art (which is a traditional way of doing things, only a complete tit would find fault in that) and I've found out recently that he did it behind the instructors back anyway. Nice, obviously a quality student who respects his instructors wishes. If you didnt like it, why did you start training in the first place, idiot. We were all told the same thing when joining.

Anyway, our Pab_jkd completed an actuall instructors course in Lao Chi, then had an arguement with the instructor and he booted him out of the club because he found out he was training behind his back after he specifically asked him not to. If you hated it so much mate, why did you want to become an INSTRUCTOR in the style? Our Pab_jkd then went off and started his own style called Lao Chun Kung fu (apparently a mixture of half of the lao chi style that he actually learnt and a bit of Wing Chun - I found their website whilst seaching for my old Lao Chi club: www.laochibirkenhead.co.uk) and then he opened up a class in it with piss all teaching experience. Quality.

Funny thing, but he teaches about 50% of the lao chi syllabus (if its so crap why are YOU teaching it you idiot). He also now apparently teaches snake as well, though where he learnt that in the space of 3 months i don't know, you're obviously a master in it though.

His websites called LAOCHIBirkenhead for crying out loud. Get a grip idiot. If the system is that bad, why are teaching half of it and why is your website named after it? You're just pissed off because you were found out and were booted from the club. You should have started off again from scratch in a completely different martial art if you had any guts.

Personally, i trained in Lao Chi for about 2.5 years then left as I moved away. It's a decent system, though i never did see any of the higher level techniqies/animal styles etc as I didn't train for long enough. The comment the instructor from the club wrote a couple of posts back sounds to me like what I remember, though it was about 2 years ago i left.

I'm currently studying Hung Gar. I tried a couple of other martial arts when i first moved but none of them compared to what i was used to studying Lao Chi. I've only just found a class (about 3 months ago) that i think matches it.

For all you haters, you're being told lies by lying messed up ex-students who are teaching the same thing that they're having a go at. Go figure!

Peace

:israel7va

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 10:41am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jeet kune do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah your right i'm an ex student as stated in my 1st comment you pathetic cock and that might be why i have an old web site called laochibirkenhead as i used to teach under that name so give yourself a medal on that one..

secondly it's modern day you tosser every body multi styles to make them self better and i've actually done wing chun for over 3yrs now and, because you know me so well you'd know i'm actually studying JKD,Escrimna and silat which i've been doing for the last 2 yrs, which i also get private tuition from the main sifu/guru, and not far off getting instructor status so put that in ya pipe an smoke it..

and let's actually clear up the facts on my leaving the club, it had nothin to do with me multi styling dickhead, my ex instructor came into my class and was pissed off i had about 6 of his students (that didn't wanna do his class as they'd pay him for a lesson and he'd just stand round and get seniar students to do the work), and came in yelling 'your all my money you belong to me', so i told him to 'get out and **** off', that's the real reason **** for brains, and i've actually got it on video from cctv as proof off the sports centre manager due to the problems he was trying to cause,also why don't you ask him bout the letter my solictor constructed in regards to his behaviour towards us and my students, which we sent to him, and since heard nothing more off him..

when you open your own club which i've actually achieved unlike you(who's just jealous coz you were to scard to, and who done the same course as me and never succeeded)the only teaching experience you get, 'while your training to be an instructor' is what you learn in class..you gain more as you progress as an instructor, teaching your own club that why it's called experience, muppet..

Also i've trained with master Wu Bin, jet li's instructor, to add to my, experiance and develope my skills and further more learn new things, and soon attending seminars over weekends with Richard Bustillo (one of bruce lee's 1st students) also Tommy Gong and Tommy Carruthers who are some of the best in the JKD world.

Also i realised lao chi was dramically missing key points to a martial art like sensitivity, that's why i learn't new styles to make it better and at most i only teach about 15% but you'd know that if you'd of actually attended my club, he might of help plant the seed, but i grew the plant and made the leaves happen on my own, you quit a gave up seeing and achieving bollocks all in regards to this kung fu to scared to try other clubs yourself as you were to busy licking the instructors arse hoping to climb the ranks that way. WOW, WHAT A WAY TO ACHIEVE YOUR OWN SELF RESPECT..maybe you should of sucked him off instead, you might of got a little further..

Also you tit, how can you comment on something your claiming you done for so long and yet never seen or experienced, so how can you actually comment honestly if you know non of what you've seen??now who is the dick head?? maybe you should get your facts correct before you decide to mouth of making yourself look like a bigger arse..

and finally to put you straight on something else to, read the 1st comment in this forum on lao chi, someone's first hand experience in a new club, it wasn't by me or even someone i know or have met before either, but i'm sure for your attempts he'll treat you like the bitch you've always been again and again.

so in words of the rock 'just bring it'

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 12:36pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Too... many... jokes... can't... focus...

That has got to be one of the best exchanges I've seen in a while. There is so much gold there I don't even know where to start.

At the end of the day though, exposing pab_jkd as a toolbag with an equally questionable credentials doesn't mean that the seemingly self proclaimed master running "lao chi" doesn't have some questions to answer about running a useless MA school under a made up Chinese name.

Anything else is just you guys turning a legitimate school review into a chance for you to show everyone here that you are both really, really awful at life.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast