Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/30/2007 6:09pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

US Martial Arts Academy

I am an adult male new to the martial arts. I studied with this Academy for 11 months. I took extra seminars in theory and weapons.

There are several major problems with this school, some of which I found out about recently. I have been comparing it to reports of fairly good schools and am sad to say that many good qualities are lacking in this school and many bad qualities are not so lacking.

First off, the instructor has a god complex which makes it almost impossible to ask detailed questions. Students are not even allowed to make notes of complex forms so that they can better study them on their own time. This lack of preparation shows in that many advanced students forget parts of the longer forms at graduation -- but they get their next belts anyway. The instructor repeatedly says that belts are not about aptitude but about attitude. Translation: as long as you're submissive to his instruction and do not ask questions, you get your belt.

There are no adult-only classes, and this really makes learning an inefficient process for adults. The kids - starting at age 8 or so - require many more repetitions and slow things way down. Also, very little effort is spent by the instructor and assistant instructors on correcting poor form among the kids. Parents at the school have complained about this, but the instructor has replied that the parents' attitude is wrong and that correcting the kids will just make them not want to come to the school. Because the instructor has no idea how to issue constructive corrective instruction -- only very negative/abusive corrective instruction -- he may be right about this.

There is little or no sparring and the push hands instruction is terribly weak. People go slowly through the motions and the forearm and leg hitting conditioning is done with the lightest of touches, so no real conditioning ever occurs. How can it, when you're likely to be paired with a kid who is 9 years old? No one wants to hurt a kid!

The instructor also routinely says one thing and does another. He will collect money from students to order equipment or books and the students find out that the equipment is unavailable or the books are out of print. The students are then not given refunds but are told to put their money toward school clothing. It's a total scam. I've been lied to by the instructor on at least 6 different occasions.

So why did I stick around for a year? Good question. I love the art and I really love the form of Mantis, and the instructor is a skilled practioner, at least in my view. He is just a terrible teacher and a dishonest individual, unfortunately. I hope to find a better school soon.
    Last edited by limre; 4/30/2007 6:14pm at .

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 8:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kung-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, lets first of all i go to this school and have been there for a month and a half even though im a beginner and never been to any other school this place is really friendly. The first thing we do is warm up by jumping jacks/ squats then we do 20 push ups 20 sit ups and another 20 push ups then we do tiger stretches. The next thing we do is leg stretching. then after all that we start techniques, depending on your level you learn diffrent techniques. We hardly spare but i wouldnt really call it sparring just practicing our techniques on one other so like applications. During the techniques the instructer walks around checking if youre doing it right, he'll fix your form or technique if your messing up or doing it wrong. After class we line up and say a creed or something like that and he asks if we have any questions he'll answer any of your questions about the techniques and if you dont understand the technique and its use he demostrates for you and teaches you the use. so overall i think its a good school and the instuctors are friendly so I recommend this school to any beginners or people who just want to give martial arts a try.

Posted On:
    8/27/2009 5:44pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

US Martial Arts Academy

I have been training with this instructor before he even had a school, He was teaching in the parks, dance studios and gyms in the North Hollywood area for years. I can not say that he is not a tough instructor to be a student under, he demands and expects a lot and does not tolerate slackers. He has done a great job of passing his knowledge on in a traditional but yet modern means. He is humble and is definitely not a liar he tells you exactly what he wants you to know and has no problem telling you how he feels and I appreciate this because I think like any other relationship, truth and honesty is the best policy and the only way to make a true student teacher relationship work. I am a happy camper here at US Martial Arts, happy with the students, the instructors and the style. There will always be those who are dissatisfied if they are not able to get their way and expect martial arts teachers and schools to be mcdonalds. Go get your happy meal somewhere else not at a Kung Fu school.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2012 3:35am

Style: Hapkido Han Moo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It 's sad to say this but look like this is 2 or more Schools that is being talked about here a lot of schools use the title the sub titles of the school names is different and have no relation to each other alot of times. and at times one might be only Kung Fu and one might only do MMA. pls give school Address .