Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 3:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29442

This actually got moved out of trollshido. proof that JFS was once cool.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 4:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJK Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.

Oh yeah, I forgot. It's because they don't want to face up to the realities that they would fail in the ring/cage/mat.
    Getting jumped with no warning is a stupid argument for RBSD vs Sport. Anybody is screwed in that position. Awareness helps, avoidance helps, strength training helps, but in then end, anyone can get screwed by a crackhead with a tire-iron.

'Course.. wrestling in a speedo in an enclosed ring, grounding an opponent and bashing your padded hands against his forhead until he succumbs doesn't prove a whole lot either.
    Last edited by Skinnywhiteguy; 4/09/2007 4:13pm at .

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 4:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your best bet, therefor, has nothing to do with MA. It is simply to avoid the places where crackheads hang out.
    Last edited by Matt W.; 4/09/2007 4:58pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 4:16pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True. Your best bet, therefor, has nothing to do with MA. It is simply to avoid the places where crackheads hang out.
    Exactly.. and avoid getting into a ring with TMA/MMA guys that can rape you in under 30 seconds. It's what they're good at. I acknowledge and respect it.

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 4:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    'Course.. wrestling in a speedo in an enclosed ring, grounding an opponent and bashing your padded hands against his forhead until he succumbs doesn't prove a whole lot either.
    So, you don't think that the ability to take someone down, mount them and rain punches and elbows on their head is inclusive of basic fighting fundementals such as timing, movement, grappling and hitting hard? Because I think the situation you describe here is pretty indicative of those basic fighting skills, and does a pretty good job of emulating the conditions of a typical brawl. I further think you'd be hard pressed to convince anyone that they are not.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 5:38pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, you don't think that the ability to take someone down, mount them and rain punches and elbows on their head is inclusive of basic fighting fundementals such as timing, movement, grappling and hitting hard? Because I think the situation you describe here is pretty indicative of those basic fighting skills, and does a pretty good job of emulating the conditions of a typical brawl. I further think you'd be hard pressed to convince anyone that they are not.
    MMA/TMA fighting is fighting. It's as good as unarmed fighting can get.

The whole 'street mugging vs sport/full contact fighting' is problematic to begin with. The abilities of a pro fighter obviously carry through to defending themselves in a street mugging. LARPers skills will not. A walking cane and pepper spray in the hands of a retired veteran -- he'll do fine too.
    Last edited by Skinnywhiteguy; 4/09/2007 5:46pm at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 5:42pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinnywhiteguy
    When there are no bouncers, LEOs (or enough INTELLIGENT friends to stop **** from happening) in the vicinity, street brawls between two idiots usually end up in two ways:

1. Both imbeciles swing at it until they connect. Then, they go "oh ****, this hurts"; then they back up, puff their chest, talk **** to each other and walk away.... OR

2. One of them end up on top of the other, raining punches until cows come home... like you know, in a ring where people ground their opponent and plow at him to submission. Besides, have you ever seen those tiny MMA gloves? Even with wraps, that's not a lof of protection.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 5:44pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    Besides, have you ever seen those tiny MMA gloves? Even with wraps, that's not a lof of protection.
    It's enough to change things dramatically. See Gannon vs Kimbo for 'evidence.' Without gloves, things get sloppy pretty quickly. Bloody broken fingers, swollen wrists...

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 5:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The abilities of a pro fighter obviously carry through to defending themselves in a street mugging. LARPers skills will not.
    This is what I'm saying. As for the rest, if you are interested in surviving (who isn't?) an assault, I have always been a big proponent of being appropriately armed. And you touched on that in the end too. I still think FC comps are a great test of what works re: general fighting skills, though.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 5:54pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    <sorry, this was a shitty point>
    Last edited by Skinnywhiteguy; 4/09/2007 5:56pm at .
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast