222096 Bullies, 4086 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 2:05pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This post needs more video... really, really shitty video.

Lolz! Great soundtrack.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usBH9KRGgl4

Pretend to have a heart attack:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WWuYgfdKec

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 2:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OMG. are they fucking serious. PRETEND TO HAVE A HEART ATTACK?

jeezus.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 3:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    Hi Tom,

Have you seen the Characters used by the Fang Shen Do crowd? Is it even possible to construct the phrase Fang Shen Do and still be grammatically correct? I have been told by a native Chinese speaker that it is not possible.

Though no one has ever been able to show me which characters the owners of FSD use, I have been told by high ranking members of the style that the characters mix Japanese and Chinese. I have yet to see some corroboration of this - nor do I have access to even a copy of the characters they chose.

My character choices for this thread and pronunciations were based on the computer program and a friend who speaks Chinese - so are in no way indicative of the original characters, just a best guess.

I did not mean to draw myself into a discussion of the particulars of the ideograms used by FSD. I do not doubt at the particular characters used by the FSD crowd throughout what is taught may be arbitrary. I am only commenting on the particular characters you chose to use and their pronunciation. Since the language of Wing Chun is Cantonese, the language of FSD should be Cantonese, also. I'm sorry I was not clearer.

Regardless, "Do" ("doe" might be a little closer to an English phonetic word), is still Cantonese and not "borrowed" from Japan. (And "shen" isn't too bad for a French Canadian with a god complex who may have a tendency to pull things out of his ass for all the world to sniff at.)

BTW, I asked a Cantonese speaking employee of mine who to come up with a grammatically correct way of saying "the way of survival" which could work. There is more than one way. However, this is one I thought was interesting:

In Cantonese, it would be pronounced sort of like: "Saang tsyuen doe". That's pretty darn close to "Fang Shen Do". Given the mish-mash of ideograms/pronunciations of what is purportedly used within their system, perhaps this would be too close to be a coincidence?
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 4/09/2007 3:21pm at .
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 3:40pm

Style: BJJ, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    Have you seen the Characters used by the Fang Shen Do crowd? Is it even possible to construct the phrase Fang Shen Do and still be grammatically correct? I have been told by a native Chinese speaker that it is not possible.

Though no one has ever been able to show me which characters the owners of FSD use, I have been told by high ranking members of the style that the characters mix Japanese and Chinese. I have yet to see some corroboration of this - nor do I have access to even a copy of the characters they chose.

My character choices for this thread and pronunciations were based on the computer program and a friend who speaks Chinese - so are in no way indicative of the original characters, just a best guess.
    In Chinese there is a term which I hear frequently, that is used to describe the use of a martial art, that would seem to fit the bill as far as pronunciation, but it doesn't mean "way of survival."

The term 防身 (fang2shen4), fang = to protect, shen = body. Together it means "to protect oneself.

The opposing term is 养神 (yang3shen2) yang = nurture, shen = spirit. This one means to refresh one's spirit.

Usually these terms are used when trying to describe the benefits of a martial art, ie. martial art#1 is good for yangshen, while martial art#2 is useful for fangshen, and martial art#3 is good for both.

I mean if we went with an extremely loose translation you could say that fang shen meant survival, but if that would be the case then whoever came up with the name had very limited experience with mandarin or none at all and just looked up some words in the dictionary.

Also its highly unlikely that that is cantonese, as cantonese has no "sh" sound.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 3:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    French Canadian accents badly pronouncing Chinese words notwithstanding, SongPower is almost certainly right. It did not even occur to me this expression was the root of their style's choice of name.

That's what I get for putting blinders on by reasoning: "WC --> FSD, therefore it has to be bad Cantonese."

Last edited by Tom Kagan; 4/09/2007 4:01pm at .
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 4:15pm

Style: BJJ, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    French Canadian accents badly pronouncing Chinese words notwithstanding, SongPower is almost certainly right. It did not even occur to me this expression was the root of their style's choice of name.

That's what I get for putting blinders on by reasoning: "WC --> FSD, therefore it has to be bad Cantonese."
    Thats an understandable mistake since A). thier translation is incorrect and B). understanding chinese one needs to know the tones, and the most of the time the context of the whats being said since there are so many words that sound alike. Hell, Chinese people have trouble understanding each other alot of times, and have to explain themeselves thouroughly in conversation so as not to be misunderstood.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 5:59pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did not mean to draw myself into a discussion of the particulars of the ideograms used by FSD. I do not doubt at the particular characters used by the FSD crowd throughout what is taught may be arbitrary. I am only commenting on the particular characters you chose to use and their pronunciation. Since the language of Wing Chun is Cantonese, the language of FSD should be Cantonese, also. I'm sorry I was not clearer.
    Hi Tom,

I didnt intend to draw you into a debate on the name. Thanks to SongPower for shedding some light on it. We are shooting in the dark on this as even the certificates that I have dont show and chinese lettering for the name of the style.

That being said, I do have a bunch of certificates that are signed but dont have any names on them. Anyone want rank in FSD?
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 6:02pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's actually more like:

WC -> Bruce Lee -> James DeMile -> WCD -> Horrible French Accent + Mumbling -> Modern Wing Chun -> Google for ideograms -> FSD.

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 8:44pm

Style: Student Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just for any current Fangers reading this, the level of dishonesty in your organisation makes this an interesting topic even here in Europe, I've followed this with great interest ever since the first thread.

It might be a good idea to post a list of the exFangers who are regulars here, what rank they achieved and where they used to train to give anyone still in the organisation an idea of the range of people who have left.

I'll definitely take you up on your offer Askari (as well as sorting out that t-shirt I was after a while back), but we'll sort it in one of the YMAS threads and not here in MABS. Try to stay on topic here people. A rank in FSD would be like a rank in the Swiss Navy or a snowglobe, a curio to show visitors to my study.
    "Listen to Iscariot you Vicchysoise ninja-fuckers!" - kohadril
    "Are you going to rise to godhood out of the ashes of Earth? " - frumpleswift
    "I'll pray for you Iscariot." - Mas
    "Iscariot, check your pulse and report back. We need to know if you are in fact, not alive." - Lu Tzu
    "Iscariot is victorious!" - Dai Tenshi
    "More God delusions." - DAYoung
    "Iscariot, despite our obvious doctrinal differences, I salute your exquisite bastardry, and take back half of all the bad things I ever said about you." - Zendetta

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 9:36pm

Style: BJJ Gi and noGi,MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iscariot
    It might be a good idea to post a list of the exFangers who are regulars here, what rank they achieved and where they used to train to give anyone still in the organisation an idea of the range of people who have left.
    5 years, Brown Sash, 1st level weaponry.
    Trained in the montreal location owned by Martin P.
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast