Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2007 2:50pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh right, that explains it then. thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2007 4:30pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's also known as the pussification of the average citizen due to the lack of common sense in many laws today. Most people are too scared to do something not out of fear for their own safety, but because of what the law will do to them.

That being said, it shouldn't really matter. I'd rather be arrested and feel like I did what I felt was the right thing to do, than be inactive and escape being incarcerated.

Happy birthday to me.

Posted On:
    4/14/2007 11:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Bocksing, ngBJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not really about being too scared about the law. It's more about being too scared to be unqualified to handle the situation. In that video's case, it has to do with fighting off that attacker. Witnesses believed that there's somebody among them who had better fighting skills than them and could take out that guy attacking those people. They wouldn't have to do anything and let that one guy handle the situation. The boxer felt that he could was qualified enough deal with that guy and did so accordingly.

Posted On:
    4/15/2007 12:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kung Fu Fury
    as for the the first vid, i agree with Sokaku. good stuff by the asian kid.

what disturbs me a little about the 2nd vid (cool as it was to see the wanker get KO'ed) was that apart from the bearded guy and the ex-boxer, i saw very few other poeple try to stop 'slugger' from hitting the kids.

WTF is up with that? I saw at least one guy who saw it and kept walking, and there must of been more witnesses off camera, and there was one fella who stood there in plain few of the camera, saw the whole thing, and just walked off without batting an eyelid. more poeple could have helped couldn't they? rather than just watching this kid get the **** kicked out of him.

And the 'good samaritan' could of at least done something a little more then stand there after being punched. but at least he bothered to try and do something, i'll give him that. but if the ex-boxer werent there to knock the ************ out, he would of probably got away with it. and that aint right. more poeple should have helped.

props to the ex-boxer and the 'good samaritan'.
    I believe the term is "Bystander apathy effect". But im not going to piss around with correct definitions and analyse it, im just gonna say that people who don't get involved when they should are worthless pieces of horseshit. Many fight vids you see on you tube have random bystanders gathering and not only not intervening, but they often start yelling encouragement to the fuckwit.

I had a similar experience once. I was in a major car wreck a few years ago. It was on a long, rural road without that much traffic. The car was totalled, the bonnet was smoking. One guy was unconscious on the ground and I was holding my blood sodden shirt over his gaping head wound. The driver was pissing blood from his face too and was on the road (car was about 5 metres from the road) and tried to wave down passing drivers. It was OBVIOUS that there had just been a serious accident and we were seriously fucked up. Over the next few minutes THREE cars went passed. NONE of them stopped or called anyone. They just peered out the window with curiousity as they drove on by. Fuckers.
    The fourth car along stopped and called the ambulkance and fire department.

People disgust me. Glad im not one.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2007 12:08pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry if off topic, Genovese Syndrome, was that named after Kitty Genovese from the news way back (aka before I was born)?

Happy birthday to me.

Posted On:
    4/15/2007 12:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Bocksing, ngBJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup. That's the one. If there's anything to be disgusted over regarding bystander apathy, it's that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitty_Genovese

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2007 12:49pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    man thats bad. well, at least i know why they didn't do anything, in one sense, but they are still complete jackasses it in my opinion

it worries me know that poeple might be in the same situation as that kid or genovese, and poeple wont even do anything except watch, or just go right past without batting an eyelid.
    Last edited by Kung Fu Fury; 4/15/2007 12:51pm at .

Posted On:
    4/16/2007 4:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kung Fu Fury
    man thats bad. well, at least i know why they didn't do anything, in one sense, but they are still complete jackasses it in my opinion

it worries me know that poeple might be in the same situation as that kid or genovese, and poeple wont even do anything except watch, or just go right past without batting an eyelid.
    Yep. Fuckers who do not do what they know to be the right thing are worthless scum no matter what happy little DSM IV tag you put on it

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/17/2007 2:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Freestyle MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That whole bystander apathy phenomenon is one of the things I hate the most about society in general. I recall once, when I was maybe 5 or six years old, my mom and I were walking home from the grocery store and saw some guy smacking whom I assume must have been his girlfriend. My mother stopped me right there and told me we should go another way. But then we noticed a crowd of about 20 men were coming around the corner and that's when we realized that they were going after the guy smacking his girl. For some odd reason, though, the throng stopped a few feet short of the couple and just sort of stared; not one of these so-called men stepping up to put the aggressor in his place. In the end, the guy just hauled his girl along and they walked out of the neighborhood like nothing happened. I, being a kid, understood that something had to be done. I kept asking my mother why none of the men would go and do something. I remember thinking to myself - little fat kid - "maricones!", the equivalent of pussies in spanish.

As for bullies in school, I was always rather irreverent, never really caring how much older the kid was, I'd throw down (which in those days meant hugging each other and rolling around on the ground until a teacher would stop the fight :gaygay:). I've always hated when people get picked on and don't think I could stand to witness something like it and not get involved.
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112