Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 1:34pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    Some CLF, Hung Gar and NPM schools here in the US produce Sanda fighters, btw.
    My old Wu shu coach, from Jet Li's team said, "Forms or Fighting, you don't do both in China..."

That's not to name drop, as I really sucked at Wu Shu, but She was on the Bei Jing Team, so, I figure that should be the last word on it. Also, Jason Yee, Boston San Shou Coach, says the same thing. Still, if it's a hobby, you could do both- besides, once you get to creaky to fight all the time, those forms can be fun....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 2:45pm

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    My old Wu shu coach, from Jet Li's team said, "Forms or Fighting, you don't do both in China..."

That's not to name drop, as I really sucked at Wu Shu, but She was on the Bei Jing Team, so, I figure that should be the last word on it. Also, Jason Yee, Boston San Shou Coach, says the same thing. Still, if it's a hobby, you could do both- besides, once you get to creaky to fight all the time, those forms can be fun....
    I've done both, and well, I suck at both, but it is a hobby. I took about 1 1/2 years off of forms to do more fighting. I'm kind of back to the forms while I get back in shape. Fighting once a week rather than 3-4 times allows for more time to recover while I exercise.

Usually, the guys who are in really good fighting shape can also do pretty nice forms, but not all the guys who can do nice forms have the heart to fight.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/10/2007 12:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj, san-da, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    let me restate my question then; are there certain kung-fu styles that tend to have more involvement in the competitive san da arena than others? if so, what are they?

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/10/2007 1:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok, now we're getting somewhere.

a lot of the traditionally hard hitting southern styles are well-represented in san da: hung ga(r), choy lei fut, jow ga, lamma kung fu, etc.

of course since we're talking about kung fu here, the majority of schools coming from any style will be full of ****. i have seen some really piss-poor hung ga out there, believe me. goes to show that reputation means nothing.

it would be nice if the USCKF website listed the school alongside the competitor in their results page, cause it would read like a list of all the good schools, but they don't list that info.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/10/2007 3:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj, san-da, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what's your professional opinion on a few northen styles.. ie. mantis, baji, piqua .. (wu-tang)

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/10/2007 3:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have very little 1st hand experience with northern styles. from what i have seen on this board, baji is supposed to be bad ass but there are very few teachers around.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    4/10/2007 5:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinoXL
    let me restate my question then; are there certain kung-fu styles that tend to have more involvement in the competitive san da arena than others? if so, what are they?
    Tai Chi has done well in the UK and southeast asia.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 1:59am

Style: etc

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Xingyi can work well. Mike Patterson (who is in San Diego) did well with his fighters in Lei Tai matches in Taiwan. There's also Li Tai Liang in NYC, who is a xinyi guy and also coaches Sanda.

new2bjj...by any chance, did you do wushu at a large public university on the west coast?

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    4/14/2007 11:57am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhomp
    Pretty much that is what I think. Arts that claim they cant do full contact because of No Holds Barred deadliness:

1. Couldnt do a fraction of what they claim against the unwilling.

2. Never realize that the other guy can jab an eye or grab a set of nuts just like the other guy can.
    Yep. Quite so.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2007 4:24pm

Style: Mongolian

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know of Choi-ka/Fong-ka people doing Sanshou/Sanda.
    http://www.shao-li-ten.com/
    The only problem is that its in Peru and the site is in Spanish. I train at a school in MN that teaches it. I think there is a place in FL somewhere too.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast