221939 Bullies, 4284 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    4/15/2007 12:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My fault, I'm all over the place this afternoon.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    4/15/2007 12:58pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by robin2chris
    from what i have seen of wc it does look viable from a strictly stand up fighting point of view. yet like any other style it needs cross-training before being really viable in fighting.
    And yet people who have actually tried it out have said the exact opposite.

Cross training is not an issue. WC's goal is to produce competent stand up fighters, adding BJJ or any other grappling is not going to change that. If you have to cross train in an art whose scope significantly overlaps that of WC to make it viable then you have to ask, why bother with the WC at all?

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    4/15/2007 2:54pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    virus- are you saying that never in the history of non-sport fighting has someone used eye-gouging or throat strikes with success?

Sorry that's all I can be bothered to contribute.

I hate wing chunny more than I hate, say, the 7/7 bus bomber. That pile of steaming **** stole the best years of my fighting life. Please quit immediately.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/15/2007 4:37pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    virus- are you saying that never in the history of non-sport fighting has someone used eye-gouging or throat strikes with success?
    Since you are the one proposing this, could you please enlighten us with

1. a definition of what it means to succeed in using an eye-gouge or throat strike
    2. names and places where people have succeeded in using those techniques
    3. a ratio of those who have succeeded over those who haven't
    4. a ratio of those who have succeeded over those who have succeeded using "sport-approved" techniques.

For the record, I've seen

1. a guy who had his eyes poked and one of his earlobed ripped by a bite still retain his composture and beat the **** out of his opponent
    2. a guy who after being stabbed and cut was still able to fight and win
    3. I've known from first-hand witnesses of people being shot (in war) and/or have a broken limb and still being able to fight (.ie. Forrest Griffin.)

When **** hits the fan. pain tolerance can shoot off the roof and those things as hair pulling, eye gouging or throat strikes are not as efficient as you think they are.

The question here is not about whether such a technique can work (given the circumstances, it could). The question is what's the percentage, the probability of actually pulling that technique and stop your attacker?

Notice if you can do a throat strike, you can punch in the face (and if you can punch well, you can end a fight.) In a fight, people don't stand frozen with their throats exposed saying "hit me."

If you can eye-gouge and get away with it, it means you have positional control - you are already dominant. If you think you can eye-gouge from a neutral or non-dominant position, that's asking for disaster. You escalate things, and if you are trying to pull that crap from bottom or onto somebody that you have in your guard, prepare to get your **** kicked (since you have escalated things with an attempted eye-gouge.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    4/15/2007 4:52pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    Notice if you can do a throat strike, you can punch in the face (and if you can punch well, you can end a fight.) In a fight, people don't stand frozen with their throats exposed saying "hit me."
    Another point: someone who can consistantly punch an uncompliant opponent in the face, a skill that can only be gained through sparring, has a much higher chance of pulling off that throat strike.

That means you need to spar, even if you are t3d d34dly.

Posted On:
    4/15/2007 9:27pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No. That's not what I'm saying.

I said:

* There's no evidence that t3h 3y3 gouge is better than other known functional techniques.

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    4/15/2007 9:38pm

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about Yuki Nakai being blinded by Gordeau due to eye-gouging? It worked so well in that match Nakai was only able to win by submission, not death. (Iguess, though, since this was in the ring and not the street, it doesn't count. we all know the street would have been a different story, right?)

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617