Sponsored Links Spacer Image

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    4/13/2007 12:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only gun rag I read anymore is SWAT. To be fair, I have a comped subscription because I moderate at the publisher's forum, www.thefiringline.com. However, SWAT changed a lot when Rich Lucibella took over a few years ago.

The emphasis in SWAT is on training and tactics rather than hardware. There are gun reviews, but most of the content space is spent reviewing training courses, instructors, and techniques and tactics.
    There's not much plinking or hunting content, but I like it. Besides, SWAT has completely panned several tested guns, even guns from advertisers. I like that.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/13/2007 1:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    for that reason law enforcement generally does not issue 1911 pistols and have looked into alternative types of actions.
    I do not know the nationwide break-down, but most departments I know of in the area (county and municipal) do not issue weapons. I see 1911s regularly; especially mine.

Having said that, those who DO issue guns, do NOT issue 1911s. However, try as they might, even Glocks aren't idiot proof.

You pull the trigger, the gun fires. Derrrr.

If guns keep getting "safer", we'll be carrying a miniature safe on our belt.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    4/13/2007 3:15pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dont get me wrong robin, I LOVE the .45 acp, ad think the 1911 is the best looking gun ever made.

I was just pointing out that most gun rags consatntly rail on about the .45

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    4/13/2007 3:53pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that's just a matter of economics... the only people who think they need another gun magazine are the same people who think they need another 1911 ;)

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    4/13/2007 3:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keinharr-

You didn't get issued a weapon?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2007 4:25pm

Style: wing chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=Kein Haar]I do not know the nationwide break-down, but most departments I know of in the area (county and municipal) do not issue weapons. I see 1911s regularly; especially mine.

if the departments in your area do not issue weapons how does law enforcement officers deal with suspects, harsh words?

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    4/13/2007 4:44pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=robin2chris]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kein Haar
    I do not know the nationwide break-down, but most departments I know of in the area (county and municipal) do not issue weapons. I see 1911s regularly; especially mine.

if the departments in your area do not issue weapons how does law enforcement officers deal with suspects, harsh words?
    They use _ing _ung on them silly.:new_Llol:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2007 4:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the point i was making in the earlier thread probably was lost somewhere along the way. have a tendency for elaborating too much.

because i visit gunshops and firing ranges on a regular basis the amount of b.s. that i hear about firearms is unreal. for example i recently heard a law enforcement officer tell someone asking for advice on purchasing a handgun that he would fare better throwing a rock at someone than using a 9mm.

for that reason i have always told anyone thinking about purchasing a firearm to do some research and make a well informed decision. listening to bias and less informed opinions are not benificial. that is what my post was suppost to be about.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2007 4:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oldman34- if wing chun works that well my concerns about cross-training were unfounded!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2007 6:18pm

Style: MCMAP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just went to the gun store with a coworker of mine seeking advice on some pistols. He hadnt really displayed any interest in them before so the whole trip caught me by surprise (we had been moving furniture).
    Once at the store he immediately ask to see their P99C's (Walther) and after a fair amount of fondling hands the pistol to me and ask for a critique. I hold it and give him my speil, that the gun is obviously well made, fires a 9mm, its pretty compact and has good capacity. Would I ever buy or carry one by choice? no, it doesnt fit my hand well and the trigger in DAO mode lies outside my natural trigger reach range.

He then picks up an XD,both compact and sub-compact and again molest it and hands it to me. I state that i already have plenty of experiance and if i was to buy a DAO pistol of american manufacture that the XD compact would be it. It has a good grip angle for me and is comfortable to hold and shoot. So he ask me which gun he should buy. All i could say was "Whatever feels most comfortable in your hands" and tell him to stick with the 9mm since he doesnt have ANY pistol shooting experiance at all and shooting anything hotter would just result in bad firing habits. He hasnt bought anything yet but he's probably going to swing with the sub compact XD

Just a story FWIW
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 789 LastLast